Buyout bid for Paramount

Like I thought-

Meanwhile, the Paramount board’s special committee will review the joint Sony-Apollo offer, floating a $26 billion all-cash buyout premium, after the May 3 expiration of the Skydance negotiating window. But that may be so the board fulfills its fiduciary duty to consider all credible M&A proposals. Insiders expect the proposal to ultimately be a deal-breaker, given anticipated regulatory hurdles required to complete such a transaction.

Skydance looks to be out also-

And Redstone is said to have reluctantly concluded that a deal with David Ellison’s Skydance, a longtime partner of Paramount Pictures, will not be possible.

Except it is moving forward this morning. As I said, I don't think it will ultimately fail approval. There isn't much leg to stand on to deny.

Except it is moving forward this morning. As I said, I don't think it will ultimately fail approval. There isn't much leg to stand on to deny.
They are going to begin talking with Sony and Apollo, after the expiration of the negotiating window with Skydance.

There is a long way to go yet, just a week ago, everyone thought the Skydance deal was moving forward.

They are going to begin talking with Sony and Apollo, after the expiration of the negotiating window with Skydance.

There is a long way to go yet, just a week ago, everyone thought the Skydance deal was moving forward.

Totally right!! I'm not saying it is a done deal at all! I'm just saying that the perception of regulatory rules preventing it are not real in my opinion. I think if they come to terms it is going to get through regulatory approval. I think the only question will be around some of the local channel ownership.

Nah. Puck was saying that the Skydance deal wouldn't happen back in mid-April, so long as the Apollo cash offer remained on the table, given Paramount board's fiduciary duties to consider all potentially superior bids under the "Revlon" legal standard.

Some insiders think that the regulatory hurdles for a Sony/Apollo buyout may be a bit overblown. IDK. I've always thought that Sony probably had no interest in retaining CBS anyhow, so if they made it clear to the DOJ that they and Apollo would immediately seek to divest it upon acquisition, then DOJ might not fight it. They allowed the mega Disney/Fox deal to proceed so long as Disney agreed to sell off those Fox Sports RSNs, which they did. (Heh, DOJ was doing them a favor, I'd say.)

Or, conversely, they might structure the deal so that Apollo alone takes ownership of the CBS O&O local stations and then sells off their minority stake in Cox Media Group, which owns 12 local TV stations.

Apollo's CEO doesn't think it's much of a problem: