DIY coax tightening tool

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 4, 2014
California
I've been fiddling with a bunch of switches as of late. My multi switches outputs are way to close together for my ol' fingers. I bought a $10 tool on amazon and it was awful. Returned it. So I scrounged around in my tool boxes and came up with four 7/16" deep sockets. One 12 point worked best allowing the coax connector to seat all the way down.
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?
20230614_192751.jpg
20230614_192853.jpg

As you can tell I love making stuff!

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been fiddling with a bunch of switches as of late. My multi switches outputs are way to close together for my ol' fingers. I bought a $10 tool on amazon and it was awful. Returned it. So I scrounged around in my tool boxes and came up with four 7/16" deep sockets. One 12 point worked best allowing the coax connector to seat all the way down.
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?View attachment 162796View attachment 162797
I believe there are factory built tools like that already.

Amazon product ASIN B01DU2TAI2
View: https://www.amazon.com/BXQINLENX-Professional-Extraction-Surveillance-Screwdriver/dp/B01DU2TAI2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3QR7FMIZNZID5&keywords=f-59+connector+installation+tool&qid=1686861152&sprefix=f-59+connector+installation+tool%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-5

Reactions: harshness and Lee60

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 4, 2014
California
You are correct. I bought a different version than the one you linked. Also from amazon. Unfortunately it was not only poorly made you had to force it onto the connector. So I returned it the same day it arrived. My tool is way beefier.
I had considered applying skate board type tape but I think a snug connector is as tight as you should go to avoid damage.

Lee60

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 4, 2014
California
Yep, it works fine but there is nothing like making your own. Nice work! :thumbup
A win-win. Two things I like to do combined. Build stuff and FTA.
Thank you for the kind words!

Added plus: maybe this thread will show others that there is another way to screw those connectors on.

Reactions: FTA4PA

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
So today I grabbed my angle grinder and a new cut off disc and went at it. Deburred with a couple files. The grinder got away from me and made a mark near the base or I would have called it perfect. Anyway it works great. Has anyone else made one of these?View attachment 162796View attachment 162797
Nice! If I had a lathe or at least a course file, I think I would try to knurl the outer surface for a better grip. That might just be my arthritic hands talking though. ;)

Reactions: Lee60

LNB Bracket Needed

Tek2000, going out of business?