High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

From Home Media Magazine. Delayed because the issue was delayed. Future results postings will most likely occur on Mondays:

Software units sales ratios as of 7/15/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 61.......HD-DVD 39
YTD:....................Blu-ray 67.......HD-DVD 33
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 60.......HD-DVD 40

Normalized to make comparison with previous postings easier:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 63.9
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 49.3
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 66.7

Pretty significant uptick for HD DVD!

Attachments

• Nielson 070715.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 167
something doesnt make sense with the new numbers the only the week ending HD-DVD had 12.4 per 100 Blu-ray sale increase, yet their YTD and inception stayed exactly the same??

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 7/22/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 74.......HD-DVD 26

Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 35.1

Pretty amazing turnaround, especially considering HD DVD has more releases this month. Yet Blu-ray outsells (this week) HD DVD by close to 3 to 1. Maybe the word on Blockbuster, Target, etc is getting out and having effect. Just look at the chart.

Attachments

• Nielson 070722.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 164
So here where the new releases:

Blu-ray Disc
The Host (Magnolia)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Weeds: Season Two (Lionsgate)

HD DVD
The Bourne Identity (Universal)
The Contract (First Look)
Deep Purple: Live at Montreux 2006 (Rhino)
The Host (Magnolia)
In Good Company (Universal)
Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps (Universal)
Out for Justice (Warner)
Purple Rain (Warner)
Santana: Hymns for Peace - Live at Montreux 2004 (Eagle Vision)
Scent of a Woman (Universal)
Streets of Fire (Universal)
Yes: Live at Montreux (Rhino)

Blu still had a 66/34 week. You guys wanna still believe theres more HDDVD hardware out there ;)

Software units sales ratios as of 7/29/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 66.......HD-DVD 34

Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 51.5

And for folks that don't know, at least 5 times the number of devices have been sold that can play Blu-ray, as the number that can play HD DVD. The HD DVD group likes to exclude any device that does anything else besides play DVDs/CDs, such as play games or act as a browser or DVR. So they focus on dedicated, single purpose players only, where they hold an edge. But "the rest of the story" is that there must be a lot of PS3 owners that at least occasionally buy Blu-ray titles, since Blu-ray sales hover around 2 to 1 over HD DVD, YTD. This, despite having more expensive players, starting later, and for the month of July at least, releasing fewer titles.

The fact is, the PS3 is becoming exactly what Sony claimed it would become: A home media center. It will play video, music, act as a DVR (by March) with various inputs, maybe accept a tuner made specially for it- and oh yes, play games if you wish. PLAYstation, not GAMEstation.

Attachments

• Nielson 070729.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 152
The fact is, the PS3 is becoming exactly what Sony claimed it would become: A home media center. It will play video, music, act as a DVR (by March) with various inputs, maybe accept a tuner made specially for it- and oh yes, play games if you wish. PLAYstation, not GAMEstation.

It is a very nice piece of equipment, and I appreciate Sony's subsidy in making it also an excellent value.

But weren't you the one who said a game machine has almost 0% WAF?
:eek:

Software units sales ratios as of 7/29/07:

And for folks that don't know, at least 5 times the number of devices have been sold that can play Blu-ray, as the number that can play HD DVD. The HD DVD group likes to exclude any device that does anything else besides play DVDs/CDs, such as play games or act as a browser or DVR. So they focus on dedicated, single purpose players only, where they hold an edge. But "the rest of the story" is that there must be a lot of PS3 owners that at least occasionally buy Blu-ray titles, since Blu-ray sales hover around 2 to 1 over HD DVD, YTD. This, despite having more expensive players, starting later, and for the month of July at least, releasing fewer titles.

Looks like things are the same numbers week after week. So what does that tell you. Despite the number of PS3s, BD disc sales are not growing.

Looks like things are the same numbers week after week. So what does that tell you. Despite the number of PS3s, BD disc sales are not growing.

I guess the way you look at it the HD-DVD sales are not growing either.

You could also look at it that both are growing but BD is just selling twice the number of disc's.

It is a very nice piece of equipment, and I appreciate Sony's subsidy in making it also an excellent value.

But weren't you the one who said a game machine has almost 0% WAF?
:eek:

Basically, I said it's got very low (0%?) WAF with MY She Who Must Be Obeyed. :p

With this DVR business due by March, and a good price with rebate from FYE locally, plus the 5 movies, I've been weakening. She hasn't been. Oh, I could buy it if I really wanted to....... :rolleyes:

Five BDs within my arm's reach, and "300" going on order Real Soon. And I guess I'll be waiting for a 1.1 compliant player.

Software units sales ratios as of 8/5/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 62.......HD-DVD 38
YTD:....................Blu-ray 66.......HD-DVD 34

Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 61.3
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 51.5

Another swing, and to HD DVD. I wonder why we never have 2 or 3 straight weeks of one format increasing it's share by ever increasing margins?

Attachments

• Nielson 070805.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 164

Software units sales ratios as of 8/12/07:
YTD:....................Blu-ray 66.......HD-DVD 34
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 61.......HD-DVD 39

YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 51.5
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 63.9

Attachments

• Nielson 070812.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 152

Software units sales ratios as of 8/19/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 71.......HD-DVD 29

Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 41.4

Another strong swing for Blu-ray. How long will it take for the Paramount move to have it's effect? Couple of months?

Another strong swing for Blu-ray. How long will it take for the Paramount move to have it's effect? Couple of months?

Probably next week. If it doesn't go at least 75/25 for BD, I'll be surprised. Four new releases this past Tuesday for BD, nothing for HD DVD. But take a look at eproductwars - several Paramount BD's have shot up from nowhere to top spots as folks pick them up before they're gone. The Shooter #7, The Untouchables #9, Mission Impossible 1-3 Collection #10. Get 'em while they're hot!

The following week is when we hopefully (for me) see some effect when Blades of Glory on HD DVD only comes out Aug. 28.

Yes, I looked over the list, too. Already have Sky Captain, decided to pass on the others. But I can see where they'd go quick. A one or two week boost for Blu-ray, I guess. I did not think to look at eproductwars, thanks for the info.

Did you see the thread some guy started about White Elephant or somebody selling off the Blu-ray copies of Blades of Glory? Scam? Real? Should know soon.

Software units sales ratios as of 8/26/07:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 68.......HD-DVD 32

Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 47.1

The curse of HD-DVD still haunting BD

Paramount Payout from Toshiba

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)