Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I am not an NT expert but I have an NT Dell Workstation at work that gave me some problem. This NT workstation came configured with a maximum C partition of 2GB and an E partition of 68 GB. The C partition was formatted as FAT and it was running out of space and consequently NT started to operate very slowly (only 500MB left). I decided to use Partition Magic to convert the C drive to NTFS and then expand the C drive. I did and it took some time but at the end of the day it looked like I was able to put 18 extra GB in the C drive. For a few days everything worked fine until one morning, I turn on the PC and find that after the Dell logo, I only get a "black" screen with the cursor blinking. The PC never booted from the HD. I was at my wits ends because I had not installed anything on this PC (or done something else), the day before. After inspecting the setup, and changing the boot sequence, I decided that maybe the HD had crashed. I took the HD to another PC and installed as the slave. To my surprised I was able to see everything on the HD that I had installed as the slave. This meant that the HD was not damaged and most important all the data was there. Next I connected the HD as the master, on the other pc, but nothing was resolved. Same problem as before. I started looking in the microsoft website for this type of behavior and I did not find anything. I did a search on google and was able to find someone with a similar problem.

Solution: I installed Partition Magic on another computer and installed the HD as the slave. I decreased the size of the 20G partition to 4G. I put the HD back to the original computer and everything worked!!!

From what I read, after expanding the size of the HD, I should have installed nt again so it could keep the boot sector intact or I could not go beyond 4GB in the NTFS partition (C drive).

This is the first time, I found this and I wanted to share with you. Just in case you run into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule for WTC Services

Johnny Cash dies at age 71....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)