VOOM - 10 HD Movie Channels, Why?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
The more I thought about this, the more it did not make sense. These 10 HD channels, to me, sound like a good promotional package to start VOOM. I can see that in the future VOOM might shrink these 10 channels and put them in 5 or less. This will give them space for 5 extra HD non-exclusive channels. I also remember from the Press Conference that Josh Suppan said that these 21 exclusive channels will not remain the same. V* will evaluate them and make changes along the way. I am sure they will.

It probably has more to do with compression than anything else. By having a movie channel they can compress extensively in advance each movie. This allows them to deliver the HDTV image in a lot less than 19.2 mbit/sec. Probably closer to 7-8 mbit/sec. They can probably put 6 of these channels on a single transponder. Regular HDTV channels (with live action) run about 2-3/transponder.

Voom is extreamly limited on transponder space with 11 transponders + 2 on loan from the FCC until they are auctioned (assuming they win the auction).

VOOM Unveils Enticing Channels

Where will Voom get their HD programing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)