EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

People are just set in their ways..they always paid by check...memorized the channel number of their favorite shows..they just want to push the easy button...some people love change but sometimes new technology feels like going backwards instead of forward..especially streaming where you can't just punch a couple buttons on a remote
My 88 year old neighbor is quite comfortable using YTTV as her primary provider. She also makes good use of her Firestick remote's voice option for finding programs on other apps without a lot of manual searching. She tells it what she wants (big Naked & Afraid fan) and only needs a couple of button presses to be watching her selected episode.

My 88 year old neighbor is quite comfortable using YTTV as her primary provider. She also makes good use of her Firestick remote's voice option for finding programs on other apps without a lot of manual searching. She tells it what she wants (big Naked & Afraid fan) and only needs a couple of button presses to be watching her selected episode.
Similar aged MIL also has no problem with YTTV and really likes the price compared to Xfinity's live tv pricing.
She also qualified for the ACP for her internet.With that subsidy ending we found Xfinity offered internet for only $10/month (including modem/router).Granted it's only 50 mbps but should be plenty for one user on 1080p.
Xfinity is now offering a $30/month package(including equipment) for 100 Mbps .No income requirement on that deal.Also no contract.
Not every household has 4 teenagers.

Exactly... Our local seniors center has various level IT courses they offer regularly. The entry and intermediate courses are almost always fully booked. The advanced course less so, but is still always nearly fully booked. I used to teach all three levels, but my travel and now health conditions required giving it up.
Streaming will be the next senior seminar deal.

lol still have a vip 722 as primary receiver,couple of the 211k's as secondary.My wife loves the 722.They always offer hoppers we always decline.
722 here as well. Uninterested in hopper, which probably contributed to my getting out of satellite dealing. My focus was on whole-house systems where there didn't need to be a receiver box at every TV set, or at any set.

People are just set in their ways..they always paid by check...memorized the channel number of their favorite shows..they just want to push the easy button...some people love change but sometimes new technology feels like going backwards instead of forward..
I have pointed this out before, my step father is 78 this year, streams everything, always has the newest cell phone (knows how to use it also), computer, tablet, etc.

Age has nothing to do with it, it is just a issue with those who do not wish to learn, but that is usually not a age issue, those types of habits / tendencies are usually life long, they do not start when you hit 60 for example.
especially streaming where you can't just punch a couple buttons on a remote
ummm…..that is all you have to do when you stream.

Even with regular TV, you still have to find what you want to watch.

Last edited:
I have pointed this out before, my step father is 78 this year, streams everything, always has the newest cell phone (knows how to use it also), computer, tablet, etc.

Age has nothing to do with it, it is just a issue with those who do not wish to learn, but that is usually not a age issue, those types of habits / tendencies are usually life long, they do not start when you hit 60 for example.
Exactly... Our twin daughters are 56, and one streams everything she watches, works at home doing medical billing/auditing with two screens open on her desktop plus her laptop also sits on her desk, all with multiple windows open. And she has a bunch of apps on her phone that she uses regularly. Our other daughter has finally given in and bought a smart phone, but she mostly uses it just for texting and voice, although she does like the weather app I installed for her.

Similar aged MIL also has no problem with YTTV and really likes the price compared to Xfinity's live tv pricing.
She also qualified for the ACP for her internet.With that subsidy ending we found Xfinity offered internet for only $10/month (including modem/router).Granted it's only 50 mbps but should be plenty for one user on 1080p.
Xfinity is now offering a $30/month package(including equipment) for 100 Mbps .No income requirement on that deal.Also no contract.
Not every household has 4 teenagers.
Man how I wish those tightwads at spectrum would offer packages as cheap as those.They have a package called internet assist,which is $25 for 50 down 10 up.The devil is in the details though.
In order to qualify for Spectrum Internet Assist, a household member must be receiving one of these assistance programs:
  • 1. National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • 2. Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) of the NSLP
  • 3. Supplemental Security Income (for applicants age 65+ only)

Man how I wish those tightwads at spectrum would offer packages as cheap as those.They have a package called internet assist,which is $25 for 50 down 10 up.The devil is in the details though.
In order to qualify for Spectrum Internet Assist, a household member must be receiving one of these assistance programs:
  • 1. National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • 2. Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) of the NSLP
  • 3. Supplemental Security Income (for applicants age 65+ only)
They are that inexpensive because some of the costs is subsidized by the Government.

For example, say the real monthly cost is $50 for that service, the person’s share is $25, then the Government’s share is $25.

I have no idea what the real costs are, just giving a basic example.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I would suppose that streaming will become more seamless as it becomes more mainstreamed. Maybe.

With cable/sat, you can literally turn it on and then just step through all of your available channels, or short list thereof. If you add streaming you have to switch from the sat remote to the TV's remote to use menus or maybe its "Netflix" dedicated button. Regardless there's no seamlessness- you likely have to navigate menus to change what you're viewing or even to find out what all's on or available.

Reactions: charlesrshell