1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

Personally, I think Charlie is full of crap. He basically made the upgrades seem so easy the other day, and now they hit us with the one receiver upgrade. They need to take care of their good existing customers. Either put the new channels in MPEG2 for a while or let us upgrade all of our boxes. Otherwise, they will force lots of us to leave.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No, again limit 1 HD Receiver.
Limit 2 tuners per transaction (ala a 622)

Confused yet. :D

Scott, I think all of today's info is relative to the Dish'n-it-Up program. It is not the special upgrade offer that Charlie briefed during Monday's Chat. Charlie specifically said you can do multiple upgrades.

rdinkel said:
Scott, I think all of today's info is relative to the Dish'n-it-Up program. It is not the special upgrade offer that Charlie briefed during Monday's Chat. Charlie specifically said you can do multiple upgrades.

This is why I specified that this was the Dish'n it up promo. No word was mentioned about the offers on Monday night, however when Jim said (And while I am quoting this is not a direct quote this is from my memory) "If a customer wants to upgrade more then 1 receiver to MPEG4 then they will need to buy the additional receivers") it seemed to me that Dish'n it up and the upgrade offer were one and the same. I am trying to get clarification on this now.

Lucky said:
Personally, I think Charlie is full of crap. He basically made the upgrades seem so easy the other day, and now they hit us with the one receiver upgrade. They need to take care of their good existing customers. Either put the new channels in MPEG2 for a while or let us upgrade all of our boxes. Otherwise, they will force lots of us to leave.

They are in mpeg2, Dish won't let your 6000/811/921/942 seem them though. Another ploy to force people to upgrade.

All these plans are so silly. Its obvious their mpeg4 encoders aren't ready for primetime. Its also obvious they don't have enough 211/622s to cover the demand for upgrading everyone and new customers. So why not just allow existing HD owners access to the channels in mpeg2 while they get their crap together?

New customers would get the new boxes for the time being (even though nothing is in mpeg4 yet). Existing subs would get a taste of the new content while its in mpeg2. There would have to be public service announcements on those channels stating "This is just a preview, On xxx day, they will require a new box."

Assuming it takes several months for them to iron out their mpeg4 problems, they might have more inventory of 211/222/622s to allow existing customers to upgrade their whole system.

HokieEngineer said:
They are in mpeg2, Dish won't let your 6000/811/921/942 seem them though. Another ploy to force people to upgrade.
All these plans are so silly. Its obvious their mpeg4 encoders aren't ready for primetime. Its also obvious they don't have enough 211/622s to cover the demand for upgrading everyone and new customers. So why not just allow existing HD owners access to the channels in mpeg2 while they get their crap together?
New customers would get the new boxes for the time being (even though nothing is in mpeg4 yet). Existing subs would get a taste of the new content while its in mpeg2. There would have to be public service announcements on those channels stating "This is just a preview, On xxx day, they will require a new box."
Assuming it takes several months for them to iron out their mpeg4 problems, they might have more inventory of 211/222/622s to allow existing customers to upgrade their whole system.

Dish would actually have to care about their cusomers to do that.

"New customers would get the new boxes for the time being (even though nothing is in mpeg4 yet). Existing subs would get a taste of the new content while its in mpeg2. There would have to be public service announcements on those channels stating "This is just a preview, On xxx day, they will require a new box."

Hookie, you should be in charge of this HD upgrade at E* and save us the headaches.

HokieEngineer, this is why they should allow a transition period letting us see these channels in MPEG2 for say six months. It is just unfair to force people with multiple boxes to upgrade only one box. They need to let new customers get the MPEG4 boxes first, and let us upgrade later, but we all should be able to see the new channels for a while.

RVD420 said:
It would be a shame if a pitcher of beer accidently got spilled on some 811's

You know the DVI out port on my second unit has been acting up for a while!!! If this is the road less traveled, then I'm goin' four wheelin!!!

RVD420 said:
It would be a shame if a pitcher of beer accidently got spilled on some 811's

While this sounds like a great idea, I think they will probably replace damaged 811's with other 811's. Remember, everyone who upgrades will turn in their old 811 so they will have lots of them around. I bet they replace damaged ones with the same old MPEG2 receiver to prevent people from upgrading like this.

funny how they left off the 1 per acct rule during the Charlie Chat, huh? :rolleyes:

I knew this one per year crap would bite us somehow...I even posted that question in the other charlie chat thread. :mad:

At least we found this out before we upgraded our 811s to 211 in early february, only to screw ourselves when we called in April for the 622. Of course here is another thought...if it has been less than a year since we got the 942 upgrade, does that mean we have to wait a full year from THAT date to get any of this?!?!?

Last edited:
DWS44 said:
funny how they left off the 1 per acct rule during the Charlie Chat, huh? :rolleyes:
I knew this one per year crap would bite us somehow...I even posted that question in the other charlie chat thread. :mad:

Next time I make it out to Colorado...I'm goin' ERGEN huntin'!!!

Just got hosed by DISH!!! Sorta...

Re-aligning Dish 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)