1/12 Uplink Activity

How do you tell which channels are HD LIL vs. SD LIL. I see WSB (Atlanta ABC) on sat 110 but I cannot tell if it is the HD channel or not.

Are the HD feeds for ABC, NBC, and FOX out of NY going to be available without the 211/622 upgrade? Right now I get CBS HD out of NY and it would be great if I could get the other three without having to upgrade.

Probably wishful thinking. :(

BFG said:
They're MPEG2 so probably.

They not gonna be MPEG2 disguised as MPEG4? The reason I ask is the only other channel that I see coming down the pike that I'm interested in is ESPN2HD. Voom and the rest don't interest me, yet. I could live without ESPN2HD for now. I would like to get the networks now and hold off on the upgrade till I have to.

Are the Boston locals on 61.5 on a beam or not? Because if not, could this signify a MOVE to Echo X once its up? (would save a bit of $$$ on dish installs, if it did soley SD/HD LIL!

dead3ye said:
They not gonna be MPEG2 disguised as MPEG4?

Until Dish actually makes them available to subscribers we won't know. The fact that they are still MPEG-2 and identified as such is a good sign, but that could change over the next several weeks.

NightRyder

The new HD LIL channels that just appeared are all marked mpeg4. Even the NY and LA locals have mpeg4 service types (although the existing mpeg2 types are still up). At CES they said ALL HD LIL will be mpeg4, including NY and LA....

HokieEngineer said:
The new HD LIL channels that just appeared are all marked mpeg4. Even the NY and LA locals have mpeg4 service types (although the existing mpeg2 types are still up). At CES they said ALL HD LIL will be mpeg4, including NY and LA....

Rich, Do you think Dish considers national coverage, distant network feeds as LILs. I would not. So maybe the "distant" feeds will stay MPEG2 for a bit longer.:confused: Bob

I wonder if they will decide on swapping out the rest of the SD receivers that receive the local channels in the HD markets eventually so that they can shut the SD locals off to create more room for more HD markets.

Stargazer said:
I wonder if they will decide on swapping out the rest of the SD receivers that receive the local channels in the HD markets eventually so that they can shut the SD locals off to create more room for more HD markets.

Heh, maybe by 2015. Remember, the HD channels are only abc,nbc,fox,cbs. Shutting off 4 SD channels only gives them room for at most 1 mpeg4 HD channel. :(

goaliebob99 said:
Note to all chicagoans who have an antenna and will get mpg4 LIL through dish. Leave the ant up as with it you will get WTTW (PBS) WGN9 (WB) and WPWR (upn) in HD! VIA OTA. :) Plus it will be a nifty back up for hd lil :)

WBBM
WFLD
WLS
WMAQ

Also a note: all signifiganly viewed channels are now showing up as Station Call name (signigantly viewed) in the provider name :)
Plus OTA on most of these will no doubt look much better then Dish.

goaliebob99 said:
6324-6327
Atst1 is koat-DT
Atst2 is krqe-dt
Atst3 is kob-dt
Atst4 is kasa-dt

all on 129 EPG verified. with epg info.

Also Chicago HD Big 4 Now has EPG info on 129 6312-6315

Note to all chicagoans who have an antenna and will get mpg4 LIL through dish. Leave the ant up as with it you will get WTTW (PBS) WGN9 (WB) and WPWR (upn) in HD! VIA OTA. :) Plus it will be a nifty back up for hd lil :)

WBBM
WFLD
WLS
WMAQ

Also a note: all signifiganly viewed channels are now showing up as Station Call name (signigantly viewed) in the provider name :)

When I cancelled my DishNet service the guy wanted to put my account on hold stating that I might be able to get my locals in HD over satellite. I asked two questions.... why would I want to get them off satellite when I can get them OTA in their full res and bit rates for free? what makes you think they'll cover DMA market #98 in HD when they don't even have the SD locals. ;)

HokieEngineer said:
You should distinguish them by true H.264 A4 type not the A6, like A4+bit1 i.e. pseudo H.264 ;).

The stream says H.264, but we should refer to them as Mpeg4, the common vernacular being used by the industry in relation to its customers. H.264 is only an extension of the Mpeg4 standard anyway.

CJPC said:
Are the Boston locals on 61.5 on a beam or not? Because if not, could this signify a MOVE to Echo X once its up? (would save a bit of $$$ on dish installs, if it did soley SD/HD LIL!
Good question.
TP 21 can be put on a Boston area spotbeam
TP's 17 & 19 can be put on a New York area spotbeam
So it appears to me that they are preparing to put Rainbow 1 into spotbeam mode.

Anyone think there's any chance of those of us in "Not Planned" HD markets will be allowed to see the HDs from one of the big markets? For example, Little Rock, #57, is showing to be "Not planned" (according to a list I saw in another thread here), but I would like to get either the Dallas or Chicago locals in HD.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)