1/12 Uplink Activity

yromj said:
Anyone think there's any chance of those of us in "Not Planned" HD markets will be allowed to see the HDs from one of the big markets? For example, Little Rock, #57, is showing to be "Not planned" (according to a list I saw in another thread here), but I would like to get either the Dallas or Chicago locals in HD.
John

I am in the #6 DMA and there isnt any mention of bring us online

JohnH said:
The stream says H.264, but we should refer to them as Mpeg4, the common vernacular being used by the industry in relation to its customers. H.264 is only an extension of the Mpeg4 standard anyway.
Well, we could stick with Charlie's engineers's language, then we will be forced to use some confusing terms like MPEG-2 'headers', etc. Should be one standard based on TECHNICAL definitions, not crowd talk or marketing buzz words.

yromj said:
Anyone think there's any chance of those of us in "Not Planned" HD markets will be allowed to see the HDs from one of the big markets? For example, Little Rock, #57, is showing to be "Not planned" (according to a list I saw in another thread here), but I would like to get either the Dallas or Chicago locals in HD.
John

It would probably require waivers from your local stations.

Last edited:
yromj said:
Have you heard if people in our situation can get HD locals from other markets?

If you live in a market that has O&O stations then I can't see why Dish would not offer them.

Now for non O&O stations it would require a waiver from the station to get a out of market HD feed.

I have a waiver from CBS but can't get it because I don't have a dish pointing at 61.5. Could I get CBS from another market, like Chicago, or are the NY and LA HD channels still going to be the only ones available?

John

I have waivers for NBC, FOX, ABC. I was getting those feeds for Atlanta and Chicago for the SD feeds. They are out of my market. Would I get the HD feeds for them when those two cities are added? Anyone know the answer.

MR CORVETTE said:
I have waivers for NBC, FOX, ABC. I was getting those feeds for Atlanta and Chicago for the SD feeds. They are out of my market. Would I get the HD feeds for them when those two cities are added? Anyone know the answer.

No one knows the answer because the laws havent changed yet. There suppost to change in june and the fcc is going to make a ruling between now and june that will determin how all of this gets sorted out :) Between now and june we should know the answer to that question :)

And there is no Boston either, though it was announced in the Press Release, and is uplinked now!

goaliebob99 said:
No one knows the answer because the laws havent changed yet. There suppost to change in june and the fcc is going to make a ruling between now and june that will determin how all of this gets sorted out :) Between now and june we should know the answer to that question :)

Law does not change in June, Goaliebob. FCC has already ruled that analogue signal strength predictions will still apply. Basically, will need waivers from your DMA locals. I know Charlie said things change in June, but I believe he was mistaken. Bob

Last edited:
JohnH said:
Has the FCC actually issued a rule that permits Digital Distants?

Yes--sort of. They made the determination that the present analogue prediction models are good enough!! What that really means is that about the only way you can get distant feeds is with waivers from you DMA locals.

I know Charlie said things change in June, but I believe he was mistaken.
I know CEOs don't have their eyes on day-to-day things, but Charlie sure seems to know NOTHING about ANYTHING on the technical or customer sides of the business.

rdinkel said:
Law does not change in June, Goaliebob. FCC has already ruled that analogue signal strength predictions will still apply. Basically, will need waivers from your DMA locals. I know Charlie said things change in June, but I believe he was mistaken. Bob

ahh thanks for the clarfication :)

SimpleSimon said:
I know CEOs don't have their eyes on day-to-day things, but Charlie sure seems to know NOTHING about ANYTHING on the technical or customer sides of the business.

I'm not sure the FCC knows anything about anything either. The email replies and subsquient conversation I had with the FCC a few days ago has left me totally confused. See thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=449232&postcount=11

It's almost like they've all conspired in various ways to insure the viewer gets the royal shaft.

1. Per FCC, basically tv afilliates & broadcasters have all the control. Doesn't matter what you're predicted to receive for a signal, if the afilliate or broadcaster doesn't want you to get distants, you're not going to get them.

2. Doesn't matter how good an HD signal originates from the prodcuer, if anyone along the way wants to degrade it, you just have to live with it.

3. Doesn't matter what your provider said previously to get you to buy their receiver or programming, you're stuck with what they're offering now or you can get less somewhere else. What competition their was has either lowered their quality also or been bought out.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the ones that pay for all this - us, are getting hosed from all directions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)