10 Voom Channels - Compelling Content or Just HDTV?

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
I have had a Dish 811 since 12/03, but I don't have a dish pointed at 61.5 and my locals are on 148. I'm trying to decide if I should even care that Dish is offering 10 VOOM HD channels to some subs.

I've seen the names and logos of the 10 VOOM channels and frankly, I'm not moved. I've had the Dish HD Pak since I got the 811 and each month I spend fewer hours watching those channels. The glow is off of HD for HD's sake for me.

I now watch most of my HD on OTA network broadcasts. Sure each of the HD Pak channels occasionally has something new worth watching, but on the whole I probably watch all of the HD Pak channels as many hours as I watch CBS or Fox OTA.

So, for those who have seen them, are they broadcasting anything worth watching or are they like DiscoveryHD?

Just HDTV.

I was not interested when it was on voom. The only reason I'm probably gonna get them now is I cant stand having to read thread after thread on here about folks that have them. Plus it's much more accesible to get them with dish, versus switching or adding voom

They are now showing 4 movies/day on the movie channels and it was just reported in another thread that Equator is going to air some World Cinema movies, so yes, IMHO, it is well worth it.

You guys aren't really addressing the question.

Of course getting 10 HD channels for $5 a month is a bargain, but the whole subject is about that the quality of the content of the channels really isn't that exciting and I think there deffinetly needs to be a better effort in making them better.

I created this thread looking at the number of different programs each channel has for the week versus the number of total programs being played

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=67269

nobody's replied so I dunno if people don't like that I took the effort to expose the obvious fact that there is not enough content, or that people really dont care because the picture is "HD"

Voom 10

In the year that I had Voom everything, I watched many more movies on the VOOM channels than on all the premiums put together. I ran across more interesting movies there that I had not seen before, from old B&W westerns to Kung Fu chop socky. The "rainbow" theme of Voom was that they offered programming that appealed to a wide spectrum of tastes. I may not have lingered on Ultra, but my female visitors always loved it. I've never found soccer on TV worth much until I started watching the Spanish teams in HD on World Sport. I did stick around and watch quite a few programs on Gallery, pulled in by the amazing detail and color in the paintings that you just don't see in SD. I don't think I would have predicted that. If the extra dish is not an issue, its certainly worth $5 a month just to see if you get hooked on any of them. I loved some of the gawd-awful Japanese horror flicks they ran on Monsters.

If it's content that we are talking about... Yes it is compelling. But compelling depends on your taste. If you are looking for babes in bikinis or senseless half hour programming, no you won't find that there. If you are looking to get a variety of programs from Art, Style&Modeling, Extreme Sport, Movies not aired by the premium channels, & yes there are some more that needs development like HDnews and Animania (but at least it shows you what others have not even started);

Before the whole VOOM Fiasco, VOOM21 used to give us about 300 hrs of new programming per month. Take a look at this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=12793 where everything was tracked and it will be tracked staring in June.

There are repeats everywhere and no one can say that they don't. I will expect that once they are back on their feet (after the VOOM DBS fiasco), they will start again producing more HD content. Now, if you are with the HD cause (an HD Enthusiasts), you will support any HD initiative that expands on HD programming. The $5.00 per month helps that expansion and it will only get better if more people sign up. I think as a Dish Sub I always cried wolf when Dish refused to add more HD channels. Now that they have add them, I cannot cry wolf anymore but shut up and put my money where the HD is. You may say but why not add the other HD channels like UHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD, TMCHD, & WealthHD.

If you think there are repeations on VOOM then you definitely will not like UHD because they repeat a whole lot more. StarzHD should not be called an HD channel. It really sucks as an HD channel. Most of their HD movies are upconverts and all saturday premiere movies are upconverts as well. TMCHD is the same as ShowtimeHD. As a matter of fact, all movies go through showtimehd before they go through tmcHD. The last one we have is CinemaxHD which is a good channel because it does airs a good selection of movies. However, most of these movies re-air on HBOHD after a month.

Now let's talk about the current HD channels; HBOHD repeats a whole lot. ShowtimeHD repeats a whole lot. HDnet and HDnet movies repeats as well. DiscoveryHD is in the same boat. EsPN they are not even in the same league since they do not provide enough HD. Now I would expect that since these channels have been longer in business than VOOM that they would repeat a lot less but when you count the number of hours per month that they deliver as new HD content, most of them are around 300 hours. So what gives?

For me, the best of the lot would be Equator and MonstersHD. Monsters shows some great old and campy horrors....weekends are great...usually with a theme. The weekend before they shut down was Zombie themed with Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Dead Alive and a few others. The weekend before, they showed MY Bloody Valentine, Slumber Party Massacre among others. Lots of fun.

Equator is similar in content to Discovery HD.

I just wish Dish would add Universal, Cinemax, TMC and Starz HD

Yeah I know HBO and Sho repeat a heck of a lot as well. I only had show when dish was giving me the 3 month credits for them when I joined dish. Now when I look at the guide they will play the same movies when I had it for free. And I really dont like movie channels in the first place, so it doesn't appeal to me.

Looking at the Rave guide. I like their selections a lot. The only problem I have is that the channel only has about 100 hours of content, and after that the channel becomes dead to me because i've seen anything.

HDNews is another great channel, because every hour for 15 minutes it will always be fresh - good channel :)

Ultra HD - probably some good model and babe shows that I'd watch, but again it becomes dead like Rave HD does.

Rush - some cool extreme sports shows, and if worldsport soccer, basketball, and hockey shows up even better, but once again, the staleness of content comes in ;)

Auction, Gallery, and Equator - I have no interest in watching any of their programs.

Monsters - This channel has the most content, but I'm not a horror fan, but I'd probably watch some of the programs.

Guy TV and Majestic - 98% of the movies that have been in the Guide I have no clue what they are. Now with that said there may be a chance that when I'm able to view the movies I may give them a shot even though I've never heard of them

BFG said:
Yeah I know HBO and Sho repeat a heck of a lot as well. I only had show when dish was giving me the 3 month credits for them when I joined dish. Now when I look at the guide they will play the same movies when I had it for free. And I really dont like movie channels in the first place, so it doesn't appeal to me.

Looking at the Rave guide. I like their selections a lot. The only problem I have is that the channel only has about 100 hours of content, and after that the channel becomes dead to me because i've seen anything.

HDNews is another great channel, because every hour for 15 minutes it will always be fresh - good channel :)

Ultra HD - probably some good model and babe shows that I'd watch, but again it becomes dead like Rave HD does.

Rush - some cool extreme sports shows, and if worldsport soccer, basketball, and hockey shows up even better, but once again, the staleness of content comes in ;)

Auction, Gallery, and Equator - I have no interest in watching any of their programs.

Monsters - This channel has the most content, but I'm not a horror fan, but I'd probably watch some of the programs.

Guy TV and Majestic - 98% of the movies that have been in the Guide I have no clue what they are. Now with that said there may be a chance that when I'm able to view the movies I may give them a shot even though I've never heard of them

What Hd channels do you watch?? I assume OTA?? It cant just be Hdnet..

Yes the main HD viewing is the networks. I watch a sprinkling of HDNet, the channel isn't really as great as it was when I first had it a year ago :(

HDNet Movies has some good movies so I watch those. I watch some baseball on ESPN. Not a NBA fan so TNT and games on ESPN are out

BFG said:
I watch a sprinkling of HDNet, the channel isn't really as great as it was when I first had it a year ago :(
Tune in Monday night, It's getting better, Hotlines is back and Art Mann is revving it up! :D

Compelling Content..yes!

Carl B said:
I have had a Dish 811 since 12/03, but I don't have a dish pointed at 61.5 and my locals are on 148. I'm trying to decide if I should even care that Dish is offering 10 VOOM HD channels to some subs.

I've seen the names and logos of the 10 VOOM channels and frankly, I'm not moved. I've had the Dish HD Pak since I got the 811 and each month I spend fewer hours watching those channels. The glow is off of HD for HD's sake for me.

I now watch most of my HD on OTA network broadcasts. Sure each of the HD Pak channels occasionally has something new worth watching, but on the whole I probably watch all of the HD Pak channels as many hours as I watch CBS or Fox OTA.

So, for those who have seen them, are they broadcasting anything worth watching or are they like DiscoveryHD?

I too preferred OTA-HD(Locals ABC,CBS,NBC, & FOX) rather than DISH's HD Pack @$9.95, and did not want the original VOOM System. BUT, curiosity about the VOOM HD-10 Channel offer @ $5.95 and a call to DISH requesting a one(1) day "PREVIEW"(Not ALLOWED), led to me signing up for one month (@$9.95 + $5.95) as of TUE 3 May. I already had the 61.5 Dish & 110/119 Dish with SW64 that allowed subscribers of HBO & SHOW its HD feeds without
other HD ($9.95) Packs. BUT! In order to VOOM, I had to DISH! :) YES! THE TEN (10) CHANNELS OF VOOM WILL SPOIL AND CONVINCE YOU, THAT EXCEPT FOR 'FREE OTA HDTV", .... ALL OTHER CABLE & SAT FEES ARE "FLEECING FEES!"

BFG said:
Just HDTV.

I was not interested when it was on voom. The only reason I'm probably gonna get them now is I cant stand having to read thread after thread on here about folks that have them. Plus it's much more accesible to get them with dish, versus switching or adding voom

I totally agree with you BFG.

I loved VOOM....the ch's didnt always have something on that I liked but hey there were options everywhere. I always found something. I loved MonstersHD , Rave, and EquatorHD...and with 10 movie ch's I was satisfied. I miss it dearly but have everything set up for Direct....Im waiting for them to make an announcement...if they dont I'll jump.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)