1080i...NOT a friend of NFL!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I always thought that CBS' picture quality was superior to FOX, but CBS has that one game with problems. Last week it was Miami-Washington, this week Oakland-Denver. Picture was jumping and pixing. It was the only HD game that I saw that was doing that, however.

how do u do that?

Cant remember the button (been out of town for 3 weeks now and havent used it in awhile) on the remote, but its whichever pulls up the time into the movie at the top of the screen. It also shows how the movie was encoded and its bitrate. Pretty neat to see what the nice BR's are running compared to an old DVD.

Ive been watching CBS,Fox,ABC and NBC in HD for a few years now and I must say MOST of the time football on CBS,ABC and Fox looks very nice but NBC usually is a letdown due to pixelation.

Cant remember the button (been out of town for 3 weeks now and havent used it in awhile) on the remote, but its whichever pulls up the time into the movie at the top of the screen. It also shows how the movie was encoded and its bitrate. Pretty neat to see what the nice BR's are running compared to an old DVD.

thank you ill give it a try

The issue is 1080i is simply an interlace HD resolution. 720p is progressive scan. Progressive scan takes away the "blurryness" or "funzzyness" that is around an image. This only happens in high resolutions when an object is in motion. This is why on NBC and CBS sports coverage, a still image is fine, like players in a huddle or on the sideline. But once there is fast action like a player jogging toward the sidelines, or running down field, the player or object the camera is following looks great, but everything else in the background that the camera is moving past gets pixelated.

This is why ESPN, ABC, and Fox broadcast in 720p. They realize that progressively scanned images at 720p offer the best picture with both slow and fast action.

Way down the road if broadcasters start offering 1080p resolution, then that will be the best resolution for both slow and fast images.

Actually Sony and Pioneer, (other too probably, but these are the one's I know about) both have this years generation have a way to solve this problem, each one calls it , it's own name.
It's quite impressive on the Sony's I've seen, perticularly easy to see the difference when you have compreble TV set next to one another.

Jimbo

I think it's definitely a network-by-network (and maybe even affiliate-by-affiliate) thing. Fox baseball is not good OTA for me... the picture is ok, but the graphics are terrible. NBC OTA is THE WORST for football. CBS was the best of the three, from what I can tell, but did still have some much more minor pixelation issues.

I bought an OTA antenna partially because I thought it would be better and not have the pixelation issues, only to find out that it was the crappy network/affiliate signal, and not a DirecTV problem after all...

and it's not just sports, I have had HD since the beginning with the DTC 100, I originally noticed on the opening of leno when the camera is zooming all over the tonight show set the pixelization was terrible. It continues today and has nothing to do with 1080i, It has everything to do with the compression factor chosen by NBC....
NBC= Nasty Big Compression...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts