1080P Video On Demand a JOKE

Plus Tom, I think you have your refresh rate mixed up with frames per second... NO TV displays at 25 hz. ALL Are either 60 hz or 120 hz (on brand new models). I think what you meant to state, was 25 frames per second.

Plus Tom, I think you have your refresh rate mixed up with frames per second... NO TV displays at 25 hz. ALL Are either 60 hz or 120 hz (on brand new models). I think what you meant to state, was 25 frames per second.

actually he prob meant so say 24hz as that is what blu ray is. So ones TV must be able to take 1080p/24 or multipuls of 24hz like 72 hz 120hz and 240hz

OK so here is one frustrated sub. I think we all get that from his posts. One thing he has not done is give us a complete picture. What kind of receiver or receivers does he have? What kind of TV? My own TV does 1080p/60 as do most modern sets but fails the test for 1080p/24 as its not capable(Panny pz700u). The many threads here and in other forums have gone on for pages with the problems many see like either no 1080p movie...or got one but fails the test.... At $6.99....Dish can kiss my behind anyway. If the OP hasn't looked at the threads then its hard to be sympathetic but its still hard given what is advertised.

OK Fred, here's the deal. No one seems to get the fact that I RECENTLY RENTED A 1080P MOVIE and watched it with NO PROBLEMS about 2 months ago!!!! My SET UP is just fine! I have the VIP 722 receiver and a 42inch LG LCD flatscreen (1080p) television. The model to be precise is... LG LCD Flat Panel - Model 42LG50: TV|Audio|Video > LCD Flat Panel > 42LG50

Basically what has happened Fred is that from the beginning of my installation I had no access to ANY of my on demand content, including that of the 1080p content (aware its only one movie). I then went through months of troubleshooting with Dish, only to get me nowhere so I gave up for a bit. Then low and behold one day I decided to check channel 501 looking for "Speed Racer" in 1080p and sure enough it was there. I ordered it, went through the test (verifying my tv could display it) and it worked flawlessly. This baffled me. Well the following day, it had vanished and I have not had the video on demand 1080p content along with some of the standard video on demand content availible ever since.

I've swapped out receivers 4 times. I've had 4-5 installation managers come to my apartment to troubleshoot it themselves... and most recently had all my cabling/and my dish completely replaced. We (we being myself in conjunction with dish network) still can not resolve the issue. They have even taken the issue upon their corporate division themselves.

My goal to come on to this website/forum was simply to express my frustration along with trying to see if maybe someone out there has experienced the same problems. I'm very versed in technology, and it seems most of the people with in this site simply just want to assume one doesn't know a single thing about what it is they are posting.

I've rented/watched 7 1080p movies and they have all worked just fine. My receiver is a 622. Since you've said you have swapped out the receiver 4 times is really strange because that should have fixed the problem. It's a simple thing that happens - you rent the movie, it downloads, you watch it. So if you can get to the part the allows you to rent it, test your tv, etc and that works, then it doesn't download maybe the hard drives are corrupted or something. It's kind of hard for any of us to help you out when it just works normally and there isn't much detail to the whole operation. Can you record other shows and watch them just fine? Email ceo@dishnetwork.com with your issue and see what kind of response you get from that.

I agree with jmscott31, I have two 622s and every month one of them gets the 1080p and one doesn't, they switch back and forth. I really want to watch Indiana Jones in 1080p this month on the one that won't for some reason download it. If Dish is going to advertise this feature all over the place, it should be working. Yes I turn off the receiver when possible. jmscott31, this is a software glitch that Dish hasn't been able to correct so no amount of service calls will fix it.

Thank god someone understands! MDNTBLUE and RGLORE, thanks for the positive responses. RGLORE, the last three receivers I had were the 622's, I just got my 722 on Saturday. Anyway, the problem is, I can't even get to the movie to rent it! I've rented one before (on the one day it worked), and it was super simple....turn to channel 501, it notifies you that you are renting a 1080p movie and wants to run a test on your tv, then notifies you to be sure you're connected to a phone line or eithernet cable and then you're off to watch the movie... VERY EASY, that's why i'm blown away that NO ONE can seem to resove such a seemingly simply problem.

I know my TV is capable, I know my receivers are capable, I just want the damn channels to show up! Everytime I turn to channel 501 I get a standard on demand movie, not the 1080p. Mind you I get a different movie on that channel every day, I can then scoll up and I have like 10 movies on that same channel (NONE are the 1080p)

OK I see your setup to probably most of us seems as straight forward as it gets. Thats not much help I know. The various other threads on the subject of 1080p VoD show frustration similar to yours. I have one TV and one 622 and... I hate to say I get every 1080p movie when its available like clockwork.:eek: As suggested try not to do recordings overnight. Its somewhat vague as to when the downloads do happen but try it for a couple of days.

Has anybody thought about software versions yet? The OP's original rcvr that got the 1080p 501 could've had the latest software, but maybe the 3 replacements never stayed long enough to get the proper version of the software????? Just a thought....

Has anybody thought about software versions yet? The OP's original rcvr that got the 1080p 501 could've had the latest software, but maybe the 3 replacements never stayed long enough to get the proper version of the software????? Just a thought....

Possible, but I doubt it. Even if they were just hooked up long enough to ship another receiver that would be long enough to get the software update. Once a receiver is activated and "in the stream" it will get the download when it goes into standby.

Not possible..
The FIRST thing a replacement receiver does before you can even do anything else with it is to download the current software.

Alrighty now how about a simple solution---this is just a guess, but is your guide set to show everything??? if not try switching the guide to show everything---it might work.

Alrighty now how about a simple solution---this is just a guess, but is your guide set to show everything??? if not try switching the guide to show everything---it might work.

I was just thinking the same thing as I just switched my guide from All Sub to All Chan to look for the free TV Japan offering for the afternoon, "Is his guide set to see all channels?"

one thing that he mentioned was is your receiver connected to a phone line or ethernet connection. have you verified that your connected to your home network and if so, are you sure your router is not killing your connection? that would stop your download. just my two cents. hope it helps.

nevermind, i scanned through the post and missed the missing guide data part.

Last edited:
Hey Sethwell, yeah, it's quite a unique scenerio. If you read one of my past postings, you'd see that at one point, i actually had my 1080p video availible and even rented/watched the movie. It' worked beautifully. This was a ONE time occurence in the past 5 months. FYI, at the time the movie was availible, I didn't have a phone line, and/or a ethernet cable connected, I was on ZERO networks lol. It was when I continued on and hit the rent movie button that it requested I plug in my ethernet or phone line. I believe it only needs the phone line and/or ethernet to make the purchase, not to stream the movie.

First, let me question something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. Is your dish physically located somewhere where there could be a rare and short occasional signal blockage? For example, a person randomly blocking your dish for just a second would be almost unnoticeable to you while watching TV, however, it would interrupt and cancel the download of the VOD content. With as much time as it must take to download these (I would imagine much longer than the actual movie itself) The slightest occasional signal loss could cause the problem you are having.

Second, your original post was hostile, and the hostility you received was on par with your initial post. Many of the people here are big fans of Dish Network. Some of them are employees as well. What you did was the equivalent of walking into the local sports pub and start downing the local sports team and it's players, then asking for advice. Think you would get a warm reception in that situation, or a few black eyes? I've done my fair share of making an ass of myself on this board, and gotten the same unhelpful responses to those posts. So next time, when you want to ask someone for help, try to think about who you are talking to, and whether or not you are offending the very people you are asking for help before doing so.

Where are you located? Since you are a new user you could be on the Eastern Arc. I went to Dish a few months ago and was looking forward to the 1080p VOD also. I have had it show up twice. Most recently two weeks ago. It seems to be the VOD is not coming in over the Eastern Arc satellites. That was what I was told from a tech threw the online chat. They seem to know more than the telephone techs. They are working on this but there was no time frame on regular 1080p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts