Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnny33156

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
I met someone a couple of days ago that has a 12-foot paraclipse dish
in the box at his house. A complete dish, I believe with a buuton hook feed
assembly. He was asking me what kind of value this dish might have.
So I'm here asking the question. What's the value of the dish?

Miami, Florida

Hmmm... let's see....

GET IT!!!!!!!

Seriously, if you have the room (and the WAF is high), that could very well be the ultimate dish for C-band :)

I think like anything, it's worth what someone will pay for it.
Most of the guys here seem to get nice dishes for free by just asking.
Often accompanied by an old receiver.
They put a little elbow grease into moving and refurbishing it, and they're happy.

If he were withing a hundred miles, I'd give him $50.
A $100 if he'd deliver it. :cool:

Though, in truth, I'd much prefer a nice clean 8 foot dish to a 12 footer.
Something like a Birdview 8½, comes to mind.

If he's just trying to get a lot of money out of it, maybe he should list it on eBay.
If you're interested in buying it, maybe offer him a nice meal at a fine restaurant.
Or get some "refreshments" of his liking, and invite him over for a party.

Anole, remember... It's a Paraclipse :D It's a very nice dish. And, if still in the box, it may be absolutely brand new! The bolts may not have as much as a speck of corrosion on them.

A twelve footer is rather large, it will require a VERY patient wife :) I'd definitely snag it if he wants under $100...

Yes, I know the reputation of the Paraclipse.
Was very impressed with the construction when I saw a picture of one here on the forum.
And in a box would likely be the best way to get one... if it's got all its hardware...
That's why I offered a buck, instead of quoting a "disposal fee" :D

But other than for bragging rights, I don't see much reason I'd want a 12' dish these days.
Back when the LNA's were deaf as a stone, they might have been necessary.
With todays LNBf's, dish size requirements are just determined by beamwidth.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, you're closer to Florida than I am.
Go for it ! :)
Now if it were that 8½ Birdview, I might take a trip... though all the way across the country would be out of the question!

A 12 footer would still help for those fringe signals, as well as some of the weaker stuff.

Although Miami is a 1200 mile drive for me in New Orleans, the thought quickly raced through my mind that maybe I'd go for it if he didn't want it :D But THAT Paraclipse odyssey would TRULY be an ODYSSEY, and I wouldn't have a doubt at that point about whether or not I should be committed to a mental institution :rolleyes:

(After my previous Paraclipse odyssey I'm still unsure, although the consensus diagnosis here seems to indicate that I'm more or less insane, in a good way of course :D )

stand back; nothing to see here

Keep babbling, Tron. :D
We remember your odyssey a few weeks ago.
Think maybe you might have stopped the meds a bit too soon? :cool:

( he's a certified Paraclipse-a-holic, ya know ) :eek:
Tron said:
in a good way of course

I have no interest in this dish. I had a 12-foot paraclipse in 1982
and I remember how labor intensive it was to build. My fingers still hurt.
But I have to admit it lasted through hurricane Andrew in 1992. My neighbors 10-foot dish flew like a bird.
The guy who has the dish is in his late 70s and I was just seeing if the dish was worth anything for him. Thanks for the input from all who answered.

johnny

But other than for bragging rights, I don't see much reason I'd want a 12' dish these days.
Back when the LNA's were deaf as a stone, they might have been necessary.
With todays LNBf's, dish size requirements are just determined by beamwidth.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your still better off with a bigger dish, especially if your on the coast's. They work better with 2 degree spacing and 7/8 FEC. They also give you a good signal margin which comes into play very nice when the weather goes south. Bigger is always Better :)

Why did Paraclipse stop production? i remember NASA used their antennas and many other big institutions.

Did the whole mesh antenna industry die at the same time in USA?

The whole consumer market seems to be flooded with cheap metal low quality antennas from China and Taiwan these days.

Hey Tron,

I wonder how much freight on that dish from Miami to N.O.L.A. would cost

That all depends on certain factors. If you contract a freight company to haul it to you, probably around $300.00. (Just a guess)

On the other hand, if you go to a local trucking company and ask them if they have anything coming in from Miami, they might have a truck coming with a partial load, or one coming back empty. If you can find one of those situations, you might get it hauled for $100.00.

You can get some good deals on freight if you work it right. Might take a week or more, but it is possible.

Fred

alternate shipping methods

I wonder how much freight on that dish from Miami to N.O.L.A. would cost ;)
I got a call from a buddy last night who paid about $1000 for some commercial 12+ foot dish.
(I'll have to tell that story another time :) )
He's ex NBC Los Angeles, and ex KTLA Los Angeles 5, retired after 30+ years with those guys.

He doesn't like Paraclipse (because they're not round) for some silly reason, but does respect them.
He thought $200 would be reasonable (his opinion).
And he suggested $75 to have it shipped Miami to LA (he didn't specify how).

I think the low shipping only applies because it's already knocked down and boxed.
Obviously, a fully-assembled Birdview 8½ isn't going anywhere for $75! :eek:
But do check with the local trucking companies as suggested above.
You just might find a deal !

Now, this shipping story doesn't apply to a Paraclipse, but it did get a 20" TV from Florida to California, one time.
My Mom was living down there with her sister and decided to move out here to an apartment I got her.

She didn't have any furniture; just a 20" TV I'd gotten her.
Not wanting to leave it behind, I tried to see about shipping it.
No luck in BFE with FedEx or UPS.
Heck, neither even had a pick-up point in town.
Oh, and it was too big for either. :(

Wound up preparing a big box of clothes (used for packing), wrapped around the TV, boxing it up real well, and handing it over to Greyhound, of all people. :eek:
$50 and about three days later, I got a call in Calif from the local station (2 miles away).
My box had arrived. TV was in fine shape, and I ran it for maybe 20 years.
It did cost around $50 to ship, but I looked at it this way:
- leave the TV behind and buy one out here
- spend $50 and have a sweet TV.
Obviously, spending the money was the cheapest solution. ;)

How much did you say he wanted for that dish?

I just had an idea after reading Anole's post talking about buddies! :eureka

My wife has an accounting client that sub contracts to Fedex for freight.

I can get that puppy up here for little or nothing. I remember he told me one time he could get a box, no matter what size or how heavy shipped anywhere in the country for $10.00. That's when our church was shipping a lot of things to NO for Katrina relief and he helped out a lot.

So get me a figure for the dish, (keep in mind, I can get dishes all day long for free and some in almost new condition) and how many boxes there are, and sizes, and I'll make a call. :cool:

Thanks,

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

multi feed ku

KUIL Fox Beaumont

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts