120 Hz LCD vs. Plasma

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this. I personally like LCD's over the plasmas, but a lot of people prefer plasma. You have to let your own eye be your guide.

One thing I will recommend is not paying attention to the picture quality on the sets using a store's mass distribution signal. When the signal is split out to 20 or 30 sets there's so much garbage introduced in the process that there's no way to evaluate the picture properly. In the big box stores, the only sets that are usually set up for proper evaluation are hooked directly to a blu-ray player. I like going to one of the local upscale stores to see the picture quality on sets, they're usually set up a lot better with a better source, and then I make the purchase from whoever gives me the best price.

Last edited:
One thing I will recommend is not paying attention to the picture quality on the sets using a store's mass distribution signal. When the signal is split out to 20 or 30 sets there's so much garbage introduced in the process that there's no way to evaluate the picture properly. In the big box stores, the only sets that are usually set up for proper evaluation are hooked directly to a blu-ray player. I like going to one of the local upscale stores to see the picture quality on sets, they're usually set up a lot better with a better source, and then I make the purchase from whoever gives me the best price.
Yeah that is something that I have considered. I may be able to persuade them to hook up a BD player by saying something like, "Well, how am I supposed to make an educated purchase if I can't hook this up to a good video source?" I can at least provide the BD movies to test with (I figure Iron Man and Blade Runner should be sufficient.)

As crazy as it may sound, do you think they would allow me to bring in my PS3 and hook it up via HDMI and evaluate it with that?

I was looking at a 50" Panny from Costco, and I just saw that they reduced the price. I don't know about posting prices on here, so I'll just put the link and you can see yourself.

Think it's a good deal for a good tv? I think they have them in stores so at least I'll be able to look at them in action beforehand.

Looks reasonable, although the specs are sparse. You may find that it is difficult to adjust the set at Costco. They usually have these things hooked up with a component distribution amplifier/splitter. I usually see quite a bit of high frequency dropoff and ringing on detail (that tearing look).

Try to get a remote, or learn to use the menu keys and get a warmer picture. Probably can't do much more than that. BTW, I have seen this set at Sam's and actually did manage to adjust the picture using just the buttons on the set. I thought it looked pretty reasonable.

Fortunately, Costco has a good return policy, so you can risk taking it home for a few days and see if it suits you.

Oops, didn't get down to the last reply. They probably won't be interested in hooking up a Blu-Ray. I think there is absolutely no chance on the PS3. You may luck out on the Blu Ray though. They try to get their best sets out there to showcase the BR players. Might already have one hooked up.

If you bring a disc into Costco/Sams, be sure to bring a receipt as well. These places have the attitude of guilty until proven innocent. May be best to show the entry guard the disc so you have a record you brought it in.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this. I personally like LCD's over the plasmas, but a lot of people prefer plasma. You have to let your own eye be your guide.

I actually prefer the plasma picture. However, with kids, I worry about burn in. I come home from work and see the main TV sitting with the DVR frozen most nights, and the kids off somewhere else.

I already have a 36" Sony CRT set that is connected to the XBOX experiencing mild burn-in of the "DVD" indicator that lights up when you turn off the XBOX and leave the TV on. :(

As crazy as it may sound, do you think they would allow me to bring in my PS3 and hook it up via HDMI and evaluate it with that?

I think it will depend on the store and the salesperson. At the local Circuit City I've had friends get them to move one of the store Blu-Ray players to a different TV so they could see how it looked. I've got a Mitsubishi 46" LCD, and was fortunate enough to have a Mitsubishi store at the same mall. I went to the Mits store and checked out the quality and then went back to CC and used a AAA coupon to get the set for about $500 to $600 less.

I was looking at a 50" Panny from Costco, and I just saw that they reduced the price. I don't know about posting prices on here, so I'll just put the link and you can see yourself.

Think it's a good deal for a good tv? I think they have them in stores so at least I'll be able to look at them in action beforehand.

If thats a 85U its an GREAT deal.

I actually prefer the plasma picture. However, with kids, I worry about burn in. I come home from work and see the main TV sitting with the DVR frozen most nights, and the kids off somewhere else.

I already have a 36" Sony CRT set that is connected to the XBOX experiencing mild burn-in of the "DVD" indicator that lights up when you turn off the XBOX and leave the TV on. :(

You really should not worry about burn in on newer plasmas. You'd really have to try to screw it up.

If thats a 85U its an GREAT deal.
85U isn't in the model number. The number is TH-C50FD18.

I went to Costco to look at the set. Of course it was hooked up to a generic Component Feed that didn't give good source material. The tv at least LOOKED nice, but I'm not sure how shot in the ass they were going to be of moving their BD player from the RPTVs that were on display.

Given the specs and the fact that this is on sale, do you think it's worth picking up this model, or should I wait until after Black Friday and hope that I can get a similar deal? The MSRP of this is about $2k+. They also have another model that is 42" but is under $1k. That would be this one:

Costco - Panasonic 42" 1080P Plasma HDTV

The price is cheaper in the store.

That 42" definitely looks like an 80u, which I've seen as low as $1000 at Fry's. The 42" 85u is is around $1,100 at Amazon right now. That's the one I'd get.

So on the Panny plasmas, is it pretty burn-in/image retention proof when playing games on a PS3?

As long as you dont pause it for 8 hours.

Plasma Concierge has confirmed it would take a static image for many hours to do anything. I see Image Retention, but it goes away. The tv has a pixel orbiter feature that you set to 1 minute, and it then has very good protection.

Fry's in my area has some really good deals on the 80u's this weekend:
42"=$1000
46"=$1200
50"=$1400
Those price are not available online, but perhaps in your local store if you have one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)