180CM is CHEAPER than 120CM??!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dvdmkr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Could someone tell me why 180CM C-BAND dish is cheaper than 120CM Ku-Band dish at Sadoun?
If you look at the spec of 180CM dish, it can also receive Ku-Band.

Could you put Ku LNB on 180CM C-BAND dish??
Someone put C-BAND LNB on 120CM Ku-BAND DISH and it works.

Also, Could you put both Ku-Band LNB AND C-Band LNB on this 180CM dish?

I might not be making too much sense, but please help me.
This is my first FTA setup ever for me. I would like to have it juuuuuuust right. :D

Thanks so much!!!

They are very different dishes.. the 180cm is a prime focus dish, and is not mountable on any H-H motor. It has a fixed mount, which is difficult to adjust. You would need a polar mount and a dish mover to actually move it.

The 120cm dish is an offset dish, with a standard pole mount, which can be mounted to a H-H motor with ease.

These two dishes are completely different beasts, and while the 180cm dish is a pretty crappy C-band dish (read as too small to get alot of signals), it would make an excelent Ku band dish for a fixed solution (pointing at only one satellite, or perhaps a few that were very close)

If you want the best gain for one satellite, then get the 180 (remember there is a much higher shipping cost for that), or if you want good gain, and the ability to use a motor or standard pole mount, then get the 120.

Thanks for quick response.
Sadoun sells Fortec Star180CM C-Band Dish for $135 and shipping is only $45.
Would you think it's worth it??

Thanks!!

As I said, they have very different purposes..

If you wanted to get into FTA, I think you would be disappointed with the 180cm dish, as it will be quite complicated to move from one satellite to another... it would frustrate you more than give you signal gain ;)

If you were very experienced with satellites, and knew exactly what you needed to do, and really wanted the ultimate gain on some weak bird (say, for example the WVGN feed on AMC4) then it would be a good idea, but if you want to ever move the dish around, then I would highly recommend a standard Ku dish.

Is there a reason why you are looking at the bigguns? the 90 and 100cm dishes have decent gain, and are much less to ship. and the 80cm is a great starter dish.

ultatryon said:
They are very different dishes.. the 180cm is a prime focus dish, and is not mountable on any H-H motor. It has a fixed mount, which is difficult to adjust. You would need a polar mount and a dish mover to actually move it.

Hey tryon,
I know we are talking about 180 cm dish here, but couldn't I use the Pansat 3ft primefocus dish with a Stab HH motor? I know it would mount to it. I have thought about doing this before. Wouldn't the motor change the skew of the dish and lnbf just the same as an offset dish? Or does it have something to do with the look angles? Just curious.

ultratryon,
The reason for getting bigger dish was that I would like to be sure getting those 2 korean channels on IA5 and 1 korean channel on G11. My in-laws are in town from Korea. I would like them to watch korean news and stuffs. Just wondered.
I'm zip code 21042, will I be able to get IA5 and G11 from 21042 zip?

Anyway, I thought bigger the better.
Matter of fact, I was looking at motorized 90CM earlier. but I thought 100CM would do better. then, saw 120CM review, I decided to go with 120CM, but it killed me with shipping.

Thanks for your reply!

The Korean channel on G11 is both C band and encrypted.

On IA5 there are 6 Korean channels listed in the clear on IA5 (on Lyngsat)... so far I only 'see' JSTV. I get 72% quality with the baby P*:

Last edited:
IA5 Korean results from Lyngsat:

Entertainment and Shopping Networks - shows in clear, I see it Encrypted :(
YTN - shows in the clear, I see it as encrypted :(
KBS World - Shows Encrypred - I see it encrypted. :(
JSTV (Jesus Satellite TV) - Shows in clear, I see it FTA :)
KISB1 - Shows in the clear, I see it Encrypted :(
SBS (South Korea) - Shows in the clear, I see it Encrypted :(
CBS (South Korea) - shows in the clear, I see it FTA :)
Radio Korea - Shows in the clear, I hear it via FTA :)
Radio Seoul AM 1650 - shows in the clear, I hear it FTA :)

I think that covers it.

Last edited:
CbandLover said:
Hey tryon,
I know we are talking about 180 cm dish here, but couldn't I use the Pansat 3ft primefocus dish with a Stab HH motor? I know it would mount to it. I have thought about doing this before. Wouldn't the motor change the skew of the dish and lnbf just the same as an offset dish? Or does it have something to do with the look angles? Just curious.

On a STAB, with a 3 foot dish (90cm) it would work just fine... but a 180cm dish (6 foot), the motor just wont turn that much weight.. besides, the polar mount for a dish that size would be 3" or larger..

Also keep in mind that the STAB motors face up, while others face down.. the STAB is most likely to do it, but the motor wont handle that much sheetmetal, nevermind the windload..

The other point about prime focus, is that the dish will have to be angled further up (since its not offset), and a down-facing motor may get in the way..

dvdmkr said:
ultratryon,
The reason for getting bigger dish was that I would like to be sure getting those 2 korean channels on IA5 and 1 korean channel on G11. My in-laws are in town from Korea. I would like them to watch korean news and stuffs. Just wondered.
I'm zip code 21042, will I be able to get IA5 and G11 from 21042 zip?

Anyway, I thought bigger the better.
Matter of fact, I was looking at motorized 90CM earlier. but I thought 100CM would do better. then, saw 120CM review, I decided to go with 120CM, but it killed me with shipping.

Thanks for your reply!

The big difference in the shipping, is because the 120cm dish will cross the girth threshold of UPS (since it is one solid piece), and would be billed as 90lbs, instead of the 30 or so that it actually weighs..

The 180cm dish breaks down into sections, making the package smaller, and would be billed for actual weight.

If your only intention was to point it at IA5, then it would work just fine, once you got it pointed, that is. (since I do not see any in the clear Korean channels on G11, its a moot point, but it would probably be large enough to get them on C-band)

Just for reference, pink = encrypted on lyngsat.

Tomorrow morning, I will check IA5, and see what I get with my improperly mounted motorized 80cm dish that is in Korean.

AMC4's Korean Lineup (which I cant seem to pick up when I try)

11655 V 30000 Onnuri TV
11860 H 28138 TAN TV, TAN TV2, SBS
12120 V 30000 Onnuri TV, TAN TV 2

I came home for lunch :cool:

11860 H has:
TAN TV - shows clear, I see it FTA :)
TAN TV 2 - shows clear, I see it FTA :)
SBS (South Korea) (Reciever picked it up as TAN3) - shows in clear, I see it FTA :)

12120 V has:
Onnuri TV (reciever picked it up as CGN TV) - show sin the clear, I see it FTA :)
TAN TV 2 - shows FTA, I see it FTA, but no audio / video broadcasting.

I don't pick up 11665 V, but it is a South American Beam so no hard feelings there ;)

Thanks guys!
My folks will like it very much!

Thanks again!

dvdmkr said:
Thanks for quick response.
Sadoun sells Fortec Star180CM C-Band Dish for $135 and shipping is only $45.
Would you think it's worth it??

Thanks!!

The shipping on the 180 dish is much cheaper do to the fact that it can be broken down, so the box isn't as large whereas with the 120 the box is huge becuase the dish can't be broken down. I do usually try to talk my customers into the 180 becuase it is much cheaper and once you get as big as a 120 you might as well go with the 180 if its cheaper. But it is better to work with KU band than most C band. If your wanting it just for KU then you would just need the collar and the lnb then you would be all set. If you want it for C band, you would need a feedhorn and a C band lnb which Sadoun doesnt carry at this current time. Nonetheless, the 180 dish is a pretty good deal.

Ashley@sadoun said:
The shipping on the 180 dish is much cheaper do to the fact that it can be broken down, so the box isn't as large whereas with the 120 the box is huge becuase the dish can't be broken down. I do usually try to talk my customers into the 180 becuase it is much cheaper and once you get as big as a 120 you might as well go with the 180 if its cheaper. But it is better to work with KU band than most C band. If your wanting it just for KU then you would just need the collar and the lnb then you would be all set. If you want it for C band, you would need a feedhorn and a C band lnb which Sadoun doesnt carry at this current time. Nonetheless, the 180 dish is a pretty good deal.
Is the 120 regularly FedEx ground shipable now? The box size on your web site gets flagged for truck freight according to FedEx online :(.

Shawn

Ashley@sadoun said:

I would agree with that statement, except for the lack of a polar mount (making adjustments difficult at best), and the fact that no H-H motor would hold it..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts