2008 Pennant Races

If the Mets can pull off a miracle and make the playoffs (given their shaky start and rocky moments under Randolph), could Manuel steal the N.L. Manager of the Year Award?

That's a good question. I don't know about Manuel. He would have to be considered as well as Ned Yost and Joe Torre.

Fredi Gonzalez would be my choice. The Marlins are contending with a $21 million payroll!!!

The Rays remain 3 games in front of the Red Sox. The idle Yankees fall 9.5 back.

The White Sox are now 1 game in front of the idle Twins.

The Red Sox are now 3 games up on the Twins for the wildcard, and 6.5 games over the Yankees.

The Mets are currently in first place by a half game over the Phillies (game with Dodgers in progress). The Marlins are now 2.5 games back.

The Cubs extended their lead over the Brews to 4.5 games. The Cardinals are 7.5 back.

The D-Backs are a half in front of the Dodgers (their game is in progress).

The Brewers lead the wildcard by 3 games over the Cards, and 5 games over the Phillies.

The Mets lose and the Brewers win. Mets now 5.5 behind the Brew Crew for the wildcard and 2.5 (tied with the Marlins) behind the Phillies.

IMO, the next week is crucial for the Mets playoff hopes. The Phillies play seven (4 in LA and 3 in SD) on the West Coast, while the Mets are on the road for seven in Washington (3) and Pittsburgh (4). If the Mets can't pick up a game or two between now and next Monday night.........their season might be doomed.

When I made this comment 6 days ago, the Phillies led the Mets by 2.5 games. Since then the Mets have gone 5-0 and the Phillies have gone 1-5. The Mets have made up 4.5 games in 6 days to go ahead in the NL EAST by 2 games over the Phillies, and 3.5 over the Marlins.

The Cubs lead the Brewers by 4.5 and the Cardinals by 6.5 in the NL Central.

The D-Backs are 1 game up on the Dodgers in the NL West.

The Brewers lead the NL wildcard race by 2 games over the Cardinals, and 5 games over the Phillies.

The Rays lead the Red Sox by 3.5 games in the AL East.

The Twins and White Sox are tied in the AL Central.

The Red Sox lead the AL wildcard by 1.5 games over the Twins/White Sox, and 6 games over the Yankees.

8/17/08*****6 Weeks Left................................42 Days left in the Regular Season

AL EAST
Tampa Bay...................75-48............-
Boston.........................71-53...........4.5
New York.....................66-58...........9.5

AL CENTRAL
Chicago.......................70-53..............-
Minnesota...................70-53..............-

AL WEST
Los Angeles................76-46.............-
Texas..........................62-63...........15.5

AL WILDCARD
Boston.......................71-53.............-
Chi/Min.......................70-53.......... 0.5
New York....................66-58............5
Toronto.......................64-60...........7

ALDS Matchups
IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:
(1) Los Angeles vs. (4) Boston
(2) Tampa Bay vs. (3) Chicago/Minnesota

NL EAST
New York...................68-56..............-
Philadelphia...............66-58.............2
Florida........................64-61...........4.5

NL CENTRAL
Chicago.....................76-48............-
Milwaukee.................71-54...........5.5
St. Louis....................70-57...........7.5

NL WEST
Los Angeles...............64-60............-
Arizona......................64-60............-

NL WILDCARD
Milwaukee.................71-54............-
St. Louis....................70-57............2
Philadelphia..............66-58...........4.5
Arizona/LA.....................64-60...........6.5
Florida......................64-61............7
Houston...................63-61............7.5

NLDS Matchups
IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY:
(1) Chicago vs. (3) Los Angeles/Arizona
(2) New York vs. (4) Milwaukee

Last edited:
AMERICAN LEAGUE:

The Rays remain 4.5 games in front of the Red Sox.

The White Sox remain 1 game in front of the Twins.

The Red Sox remain 1.5 games in front of the Twins for the wildcard. The Yankees are 6.5 back, and the Blue Jays are 7.5 back.

The Rays are now leading the Angels by a half game in the AL homefield race.

NATIONAL LEAGUE:
The Mets lead the Phillies by 1.5 games, and the Marlins by 4.

The Cubs have exteneded their lead to 6 games over the Brewers, and 8.5 games over the Cardinals.

The D-Backs lead the Dodgers by 1 game.

The Brewers lead the wildcard by 2.5 games over the Cardinals, and 4 games over the Phillies.

Last edited:
I hope the Cubs win it all. I am tired of hearing them cry all the time that it has been forever since they have won.

A few observations:

1. The Rays are going to win the AL East! There I said it! Why you ask? P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G, that's why. Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Sonnanstine , and Jackson is a VERY good starting rotation, AND the Rays have what most contending teams don't have: a deep bullpen. If they can get Percival back for the last few weeks all the better, but as it is Balfour, Wheeler, Howell, and Bradford is a very formidable pen. Then there is talk that phenom lefty David Price could be called up and used ala Joba last year. Very scary!

2. The Twins are a half game behind the Red Sox for the wildcard, and one game behind the White Sox for the Central lead. BUT, they play a mind boggling 24 out of their next 30 (in part because the Republican Convention is going to Minneapolis) away from the dome. The Twins North American odyssey starts tomorrow night with four in Anaheim, three in Seattle, four in Oakland, and three in Toronto. Then it's back to Minnesota for six games, and then back on the road for ten! If the Twins can stay in contention after all that, they deserve to make the playoffs!

3. As a Red Sox fan, I do NOT want to see Clay Buchholz on the mound again until March in Fort Myers! Enough is enough, the kid has lost ALL confidence. Buchholz since May 17: 0-7 with a 9.21 ERA! :eek:

Last edited:
A few observations:

1. The Rays are going to win the AL East! There I said it! Why you ask? P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G, that's why. Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Sonnanstine , and Jackson is a VERY good starting rotation, AND the Rays have what most contending teams don't have: a deep bullpen. If they can get Percival back for the last few weeks all the better, but as it is Balfour, Wheeler, Howell, and Bradford is a very formidable pen. Then there is talk that phenom lefty David Price could be called up and used ala Joba last year. Very scary!

2. The Twins are a half game behind the Red Sox for the wildcard, and one game behind the White Sox for the Central lead. BUT, they play a mind boggling 24 out of their next 30 (in part because the Republican Convention is going to Minneapolis) away from the dome. The Twins North American odyssey starts tomorrow night with four in Anaheim, three in Seattle, four in Oakland, and three in Toronto. Then it's back to Minnesota for six games, and then back on the road for ten! If the Twins can stay in contention after all that, they deserve to make the playoffs!

3. As a Red Sox fan, I do NOT want to see Clay Buchholz on the mound again until March in Fort Myers! Enough is enough, the kid has lost ALL confidence. Buchholz since May 17: 0-7 with a 9.21 ERA! :eek:

Good summary Bill.

I hope the Cubs win it all. I am tired of hearing them cry all the time that it has been forever since they have won.

Ugggh! Bite your tongue.

If they DON'T win the W.S. this year, I'm going to add a tag line that says "Here's to another 100 years!" And I'll listen to all the crying and laugh.

Ugggh! Bite your tongue.

If they DON'T win the W.S. this year, I'm going to add a tag line that says "Here's to another 100 years!" And I'll listen to all the crying and laugh.

Yeah I know. I was just tired of hearing "Wait til next year"(1), "Wait til next year"(2),.............."Wait til next year"(100)

70th win last night for the Mets . . . I like that this year we are so quietly under the radar it seems to be helping this team . . . go Manuel!

AMERICAN LEAGUE

The Rays lead in the East is 4.5 games over the Red Sox.

The Twins now lead the Central by a half game over the White Sox.

The Red Sox lead the wildcard by a half game over the White Sox, and 6 games over the Yankees.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

The red hot Mets lead the East by 2.5 games over the Phillies, and 6 games over the Marlins.

The Cubs lead the Central by 4.5 games over the Brewers, and 7 games over the Cardinals.

The D-Backs lead the West by 2 games over the Dodgers.

The Brewers lead the wildcard by by 2.5 games over the Cardinals, and 4.5 games over the Phillies.

Yippee, the Mets continue to roll. I'm estastic about this. The Yanks are this close from being gone and the Mets right now rolling into the playoffs. The bullpen still scares me, though. We could beat the bad teams but let's see us against the Phillies, Cubs and Brewers.
BTW, Bill, who are the Boston Breakers?

who are the Boston Breakers?

They were a team in the WFL- World Football League.

It was football's version of the ABA (American Basketball Association) and the WHA (World Hockey Association), only less successful and less known than either of the other two.

It was football's version of the ABA (American Basketball Association) and the WHA (World Hockey Association), only less successful and less known than either of the other two.

The Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers played in the USFL.

No, that would have been the AFL which merged with the NFL about 1970.

The WFL was a "Johnny Come Lately".

Cheers,

Teams that are jinxed in certain places/stadiums

FSN may get rid of national programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)