2010 NBA Free Agency Thread

Salsa you must be loving life. I'll say this now I'll give the Heat crap every time I see so much as one empty seat from now on. ;) You guys better support them.

Am I the only one LMAO at Cleveland right now? Hmmm South Beach or stay in the Rust Belt? Tough choice. Does Cleveland take down the LeBron mural and replace it with one of Anderson Varejo? Do Cleveland fans burn their LeBron jerseys and buy Delonte West ones now? It's just too funny. Well at least they've got a whole season of the Browns sucking to look forward to. :haha

I'm glad you are finding amusement in our misery! :mad:

Cleveland has some money to go out and get some decent players. They can still compete and be good if they get a couple of really good players.

Cleveland has some money to go out and get some decent players. They can still compete and be good if they get a couple of really good players.
Not too sure about that. It was reported that if Bosh doesn't do a sign-and-trade Toronto only has $4M cap space cleared to replace him....

But the thing is, all of the best free-agents already committed to other teams since LeBron took so long to make his decision.

As far as the Cavs cap space, when they renounce LeBron, which I assume is very soon, they'll have $9 million in cap space. They can get to 13M by releasing D. West.

This is why the NFL got it right with the "franchise" player tag, and the NBA lags way behind the NFL by even a further margin than 10-15 years ago.

How do you loose a "max" player and only gain 9 million in cap space? What a stupid CBA.

This is why the NFL got it right with the "franchise" player tag, and the NBA lags way behind the NFL by even a further margin than 10-15 years ago.

How do you loose a "max" player and only gain 9 million in cap space? What a stupid CBA.
Because traditionally players have gone with the max money and stayed with their current teams for the most part. Time will tell if this a global change or an isolated incident....

They ALSO swapped positions for #1 picks for next year which was a GREAT move by Riley because there is NO DOUBT Miami will have a better record than the Timberwolves and therefore a better #1 draft pick next year. ;-)

Well there goes MY wishes for a good, fast point guard....

New York Knicks, Raymond Felton agree in principle to deal - ESPN New York

Hey Salsa, remember that street-ball organized game of the mid-90's called "Hoop-it-up"? Well, that was a game of 3-on-3. This trio would be the champs of Hoop-it-up for sure.

Unfortunately for you though, the NBA isn't a game of 3 on 3. You'll have to fill out the rest of your roster. It's going to be interesting how they do so with such a limited budget. Will the trend of taking less money for a shot at a Championship continue or will players chose the money?

Hey Salsa, remember that street-ball organized game of the mid-90's called "Hoop-it-up"? Well, that was a game of 3-on-3. This trio would be the champs of Hoop-it-up for sure.

Unfortunately for you though, the NBA isn't a game of 3 on 3. You'll have to fill out the rest of your roster. It's going to be interesting how they do so with such a limited budget. Will the trend of taking less money for a shot at a Championship continue or will players chose the money?

This is how they will do it. Any team can sign players for the minimum veteran's exception and will not count against the salary cap. What the HEAT hope and look to do is find quality players that have been around the league atleast 7 years and have already establish their "bank" and are looking to win. The league veteran minimum is approx. $1.7-1.9 million a season.....which is a NOT a band chunk of change and GREAT chance to be an NBA champion for EITHER the 1st time or to add rings to their jewlery box.

This is how they will do it. Any team can sign players for the minimum veteran's exception and will not count against the salary cap. What the HEAT hope and look to do is find quality players that have been around the league atleast 7 years and have already establish their "bank" and are looking to win. The league veteran minimum is approx. $1.7-1.9 million a season.....which is a NOT a band chunk of change and GREAT chance to be an NBA champion for EITHER the 1st time or to add rings to their jewlery box.

The problem is most of the NBA players don't save their money, they spend it or give it away to friends as soon as they get it. Not to mention child support payments, etc depending on how many kids they fathered. Not many of them manage their finances in a responsible manner, so they need as much money as they can get. The biggest screw to the Heat is next year is a lockout year, if you are a player you want as much $$$ as you can get this season so you have some money for next year when no checks are coming in. That will be Riley's hardest thing to overcome, since he can't do a thing about it.

PS - Like your drop of Sebastian to the Heat avatar, oh how I love Miami sports fans :p

My avatar was due for a change. EVERYONE knows that avatar went up during the college football season. This Miami fan is clear about his teams. ;-)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)