Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
My current laptop (Dell Latitude) has served me really well for almost four years! It's a workhorse! I use it all day long at work and at home. I did make some upgrades to it and had to do some repairs over the years, but Dell's warranty support has always been superb!

As my current laptop is starting to show its age, I am getting ready for the next one! I am not in a rush: I would love to have it by Christmas, but don't mind waiting another 2-3 months in order to catch the next wave. And since this will be my main machine for the next 3 or perhaps 4 years, I want to go with a higher end model and make sure it has some room to grow.

Note, I am not looking for any brand or model recommendations here! The model I will end up buying has probably not been announced yet! Instead, I'd like to focus this discussion on features. I'll share my thoughts about what new features I am looking for and you are welcome to share yours. So, let me start:

RAM
Currently I am maxed out at 4GB. For the next laptop I'd like to go with 8GB (so I could run multiple Virtual Machines and work with other memory-intensive applications). However, it would be nice to have a room for future upgrade to 16GB. This is a big problem though: most of laptops available today cannot go beyond 8GB and I don't want to be maxed out right off the bet. Memory is one item I definitly want to be able to upgrade down the road. (Remember, you need 64-bit Windows to take advantage of bigger RAM!)

USB 3.0
USB 3.0, which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0 is finally becoming a reality: hard drives, flash drives and adapter cards are already available. New USB 3.0 products are announced every month. I think in the next year or so USB 3.0 will go mainstream. The main delay right now is actually caused by Intel who still does not offer USB 3.0 on the motherboard. But this will change soon. And according to some rumors, very soon!

SDXC card reader
It is very convenient to have a built-in card reader to transfer photos and videos and also as an external storage. SDHC is limited to 32 GB. The new SDXC spec breaks that limit and supports cards up to 2 TB.

Video
A good video card and dedicated video RAM of 512 MB or 1 GB is an important requirement. I am not into computer gaming, but even with not so graphics-intensive applications, I found the graphics card to often be the performance bottleneck. This is the easiest requiremet to meet though, as most computer manufacturers offer good choices in video.
UPDATE: The new Intel Sandy Bridge architecture is expected to have very good built-in graphics. So, dedicated graphics chip may no longer be needed unless you are into some extreme gaming.

Display
15" is what I am used to. Not looking for extremely high resolution, but I want to make sure the display is bright and sharp.

Hard drive
I am thinking, 500 GB 7200 RPM as a starting point. But I am really intrigued by the SSD technology - just wish it was more affordable. Hybrid drives are starting to appear (that combine a classic HD drive with an SSD buffer) - this might be a good compromise!
UPDATE: Another great option is a dual drive configuration: a small system SSD drive and a bigger hard drive.

SATA III (6.0 Gb/s)
Not so important for HDD, but for the latest SSD drives this faster SATA interface can make a difference. I suspect, some hybrid drives will be able to take advantage of the SATA III as well. I hope the next wave of laptops will have this feature.

CPU
Core i7, probably quad-core. Core i5 may suffice, but the price difference is not that big, so I will go with i7. I don't think I need the Extreme Edition, as it seems way overpriced.

Other common features
These features are pretty standard these days: HDMI output, built-in webcam, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (preferably 3.0), ideally a backlit keyboard.

These are some of the features I am looking for. I will probably expand my list as time goes by.
Which important features have I missed? What are you looking for? Feel free to share your thoughts!

Are you always plugged in?
If not, I'd think twice about i7 quad and dedicated video card: those will cut the battery life down to 3-4 hours max.

Wait for Sandy Bridge to show up in laptops and use its built-in video.

Diogen.

Are you always plugged in?
I am plugged in 99% of the time. So, the battery life is not an issue for me. However, the weight is, as I carry my laptop with me all the time. ;)

I'll have to do some reading about the Sandy Bridge architecture. Thanks! Hope, it's coming soon enough!

Sounds good! Sandy Bridge might be worth waiting for. And I am reading that USB 3.0 might be included on the Intel's motherboard when Sandy Bridge launches next year.

Out of what's coming this year though, Sony VAIO VPCF139FJ/BI (just announced in Japan) comes very close to my ideal specs. The only thing I am not sure about is the RAM maximum capacity. The announced model ($2,970) includes:

?Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz) CPU
?4GB RAM
?16.4-inch full HD LCD screen
?500GBHDD
?GeForce GT 425M (1GB)
?Blu-ray drive
?two USB 3.0 ports
?USB 2.0 port
?HDMI interface
?SDXC card slot
?Memory Stick Duo slot
?IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
?Bluetooth 3.0+HS
?Intel PM55 Express chip set
?0.3MP web cam
?2 TV tuners (not sure if this will be available in the US version)
?remote control
?Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit), Office Home and Business 2010, Adobe Lightroom 3, Photoshop Elements 8, Premiere Elements 8

Sony Integrates USB 3.0 In Its New Flagship Vaio F Notebooks

A few months wait will probably shave $1k off that price...:)

Laptops with 14-15" screens are unlikely to have 4 RAM slots.
And 8GB notebook RAM sticks (to get to 16GB with 2 sticks) are most likely to be expensive for a while.

Diogen.

EDIT:
If this price range is acceptable, keep an eye on the Dell Precision line.
It doesn't yet offer USB3 and BT3, but has 2 hard drive options (and SSDs) as well as 16GB RAM (10x more $$$ than 8GB)
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellst...=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&model_id=precision-m4500

Last edited:
A few months wait will probably shave $1k off that price...:)
With the above specs?? I kinda doubt!

And 8GB notebook RAM sticks (to get to 16GB with 2 sticks) are most likely to be expensive for a while.
I am not concerned about that. By the time I am ready to upgrade to 16GB (a couple of years from now) the RAM price will go down. So I will just replace both sticks at that time. What I want to make sure though, is that the system is capable of accepting 16GB in the future. And that's what I am not sure about. Most laptops I checked cannot accept 8GB sticks at all... :(

Great thread! I'm in a similar situation...my laptop is nearly 3-years old and aging quickly. It has served it's purpose but I am now contemplating a replacement. I'm not in a hurry and, like all things, price will be a factor. The Sony VAIO mentioned early sounds like it would work...just need to get the sales price down to about half of the retail price.

I would definitely wait for USB 3. I'd love to, but I must order a new server NLT the end of this month, probably earlier, but no mobo, even for servers, seems to have USB 3 yet. As stated.

I wonder if USB 3 on a card will really be as fast?

For a laptop like you're talking about, I'd get an extra battery AND the 16 GB RAM. And we can all just dream about SSDs for a few more years.

I would *highly* recommend built-in bluetooth. Built in makes it much easier than dealing with dongles hanging off the laptop! Combine it with a pair of nice bluetooth headphones (motorola S805s are pretty cheap off ebay) and you're set :)

Take a look at the HP Elite Book (mobile workstations). It has pretty much everything that you are looking for and will support 16GB of memory.

If this price range is acceptable, keep an eye on the Dell Precision line.
It doesn't yet offer USB3 and BT3, but has 2 hard drive options (and SSDs) as well as 16GB RAM (10x more $$$ than 8GB)
The 17" Precision (M6500) already has USB 3.0 as well as 16 GB RAM. But this beast is just too big and heavy and very expensive too!

In general, the two-drive solution is interesting, as you can get a smaller, less expensive SSD as a system disk and a much bigger HD drive for data storage. One option I am seriously considering is this. Dell Latitudes have a modular bay: you can remove the optical drive and insert the second hard drive. That could be an option to consider, as most of the time I do not need the optical drive. This would open the possibility to have a small (say, 64-128 GB) SSD as the main drive... ;)

The 17" Precision (M6500) already has USB 3.0 as well as 16 GB RAM. But this beast is just too big and heavy and very expensive too!

In general, the two-drive solution is interesting, as you can get a smaller, less expensive SSD as a system disk and a much bigger HD drive for data storage. One option I am seriously considering is this. Dell Latitudes have a modular bay: you can remove the optical drive and insert the second hard drive. That could be an option to consider, as most of the time I do not need the optical drive. This would open the possibility to have a small (say, 128GB) SSD as the main drive... ;)

I went with a 12" laptop (Dell Vostro 1220) for my current upgrade. It's dual core, has a great battery life (4-5 hours!), built in DVD+/- burner, and the 12" screen is big enough to make reading easy and for most photo editing tasks. It's also small enough to slip into a backpack.

However, I really really like the idea (for the next upgrade at least) of getting an SSD, especially one with a very high 4KByte random read/write speeds. Those beasts boot to desktop in 5-10 seconds flat :D

Take a look at the HP Elite Book (mobile workstations). It has pretty much everything that you are looking for and will support 16GB of memory.
I will definitly be checking out HP. I see they do have a 15" version with USB 3.0 that supports 16 GB (but only with a quad-core processor). Interesting!

The 17" Precision (M6500) already has USB 3.0 as well as 16 GB RAM.
I was thinking more along the lines of the M4500. With a 9 cell battery and you mostly plugged in it shouldn't be a problem.
And yes, going 16GB today triples the price all by itself.

I am a fan of SSD as a system drive on the desktop. Haven't had a chance to use a 2-drive laptop.
A decent ~60GB SSD is about $150 and would not only be able to run the system but also some crucial apps...

Diogen.

Here is one more feature to look for in the next wave of laptops:

SATA III (6.0 Gb/s)

This hard drive interface is twice faster than the more common SATA II. This will be especially important for SSD: some notebook SSDs already support SATA III. For HDDs it is not so important, but I suspect, some hybrid drives will be able to take advantage of the faster SATA.

Definitely support the idea of built in BT. We buy our laptops that way now, primarily for the small travel mice.

diogen said:

The more I read about Sandy Bridge the more excited I get about the new upcoming CPUs and chipsets! Although not all the details are known yet, it sounds like it's going to be a major step forward. Not only in speed and power efficiency, but also in the CPU architecture in general. And it appears, that most of the features I mentioned above will be available in laptops based on this new line of Intel CPUs. It is still not 100% certain whether Intel will have a native support for USB 3.0 (some sources claim it will), but it is very likely that the next wave of laptops will have USB 3.0 regardless!

Personally, I am now pretty much convinced that it makes a lot of sense to wait for Sandy Bridge. And it should not be too long. It is expected that Sandy Bridge computers will be announced at CES and may hit the market just days after. That's less than 3 months from now! As much as I would love to get a new computer for Christmas, I think waiting extra 2-3 weeks will pay off!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts