2014 MLB Season

The Yankees are in town tonight, and Jacoby Ellsbury makes his first appearance in a Yankees uniform. I think he deserves a nice ovation, considering he helped the Sox to two championships. Who would ever have thought that a Yankees-Red Sox game would be bumped off NESN and put on NESN-Plus? That's what's happening tonight as the Bruins game will be on NESN.

It is Yankees/Red Sox but remember it is early in the season. If this was August or Sept. and being moved to NESN plus for whatever, then I would be more concerned.

Cueto is pitching lights out now. He pitched a complete game and only gave up a home run in the 9th inning after pitching 15 scoreless.

The Yankees are in town tonight, and Jacoby Ellsbury makes his first appearance in a Yankees uniform. I think he deserves a nice ovation, considering he helped the Sox to two championships. Who would ever have thought that a Yankees-Red Sox game would be bumped off NESN and put on NESN-Plus? That's what's happening tonight as the Bruins game will be on NESN.

I wouldn't have booed him or cheered him. My response would be Thank You/**** You.

Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected after foreign substance discovered on his neck
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...ine-tar-discovered-on-his-neck-001141489.html

I hate when anything sticky touches my skin,I can't imagine putting pine tar on my neck. At least he got caught this time. It's bad enough that it was YES Network pointing out the possible pine tar on his hand the last time he pitched against the Red Sox.

It's not uncommon for pitchers to use pine tar in cold weather. Without it, it's difficult to get a good grip on the ball. That can actually be dangerous to the hitters. His mistake was putting it in such an obvious place.

Makes me think of Gaylord Perry. He was notorious for doctoring the ball. I do understand the use of pine tar though. The players understand it too,they just pinged Pineda for being so blatant about it. On your neck,seriously?

It's not uncommon for pitchers to use pine tar in cold weather. Without it, it's difficult to get a good grip on the ball. That can actually be dangerous to the hitters. His mistake was putting it in such an obvious place.

And the ones that do apparently hide it well. Rumors are that's why Farrell didn't challenge it the first time they faced Pineda. He didn't want the umps looking at his pitcher. But, when the pine tar is on the guy's neck for the world to see, he really had no choice.

They oughta do an IQ check on Pineda. He gets away with it on his hand in an earlier game and then decides to put it on his neck last night. :confused:

0.jpg

michael-pineda-pine-tar-neck-48d8239b3b8e2766.png

Funny you say this. Pine tar does NOTHING to the ball but secure the grip in the cold. I agree with what you say 100%.

You would have to put a lot on a ball to have it affect its flight. Like you said, it's for grip.

As expected, since its in the rules:

The pitcher shall not --

(b)Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.

The irony is that when I turned my TV on last night,I turned to that game first. But I wanted to watch the Stanley Cup play-offs,so I changed the channels before it got interesting with Pineda getting caught. Oh well.

Funny you say this. Pine tar does NOTHING to the ball but secure the grip in the cold. I agree with what you say 100%.

You would have to put a lot on a ball to have it affect its flight. Like you said, it's for grip.

I don't know if I buy that ...
If you put pine tar on the ball, you gonna get a better grip that may allow you a better snap on your pitches, giving it better bite ...

Your changing the characteristics of the ball, it's slightly heavier for one.

It ads more break to a curveball or slider. At least that is what I have always heard. I would think it's the same reason a scuffed baseball has more bite on a breaking ball. Just a little more texture on the ball to catch the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bill Simmons

NFL Week 4 Picks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)