2022-2023 NCAA Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. College football (and basketball) have found a way to sell a lower level of the sport to the masses. And now ESPN, the focus of evil in the sports world, is blowing it all up.

Yep. One of the great things about college football. Unlike the NFL or any other professional sport, there are 1000s of things that are important to individual fanbases. But, nah, one grinding crushing playoff (which neither Indiana nor Purdue will EVER play in) and one champion, and everybody else is a POS.

Yep. Accomplished without a playoff. And ESPN wants to blow that up.

Unless you are a fan of one of the, at best, 15 teams that might win it, yep.

Not in the SEC.

Not really. The system has ONE spot of a "group of five" team. Where they will lose, every year, by a large margin. And, since there are over 70 such teams, the rest will all be POS, as will all but the top 3 or 4 teams in each "major" conference. They will NEVER make the playoffs, and the bowls, and the regular season rivalries, now mean NOTHING.

As the SEC will win this deal, nine years out of ten, it will probably just reinforce how superior it is. But "bickering" is a major part of college football. Arguing about rivalries, who deserved to go to the Liberty Bowl, which conference is best, so on. But, nah, one grinding playoff which 7/8th of the Division will never play in, one champion, everybody else is a POS.
You have that slightly wrong ....
Its Not the SEC, its a few teams in the SEC, Bama, Georgia currently, occasionally LSU or Auburn, once in a great while its Florida ... usually the SEC IS a team or 2 ... just like the Big Ten.

You have that slightly wrong ....
Its Not the SEC, its a few teams in the SEC, Bama, Georgia currently, occasionally LSU or Auburn, once in a great while its Florida ... usually the SEC IS a team or 2 ... just like the Big Ten.
Hmm... lets look at something:

CFP Championships
  • SEC - 6, Alabama (3), Georgia (2), LSU (1)
  • ACC - 2, Clempson (2)
  • BigTen - 1 Ohio State (1)

BCS Championships
  • SEC - 9, Alabama (3), Florida (2), LSU (2), Aubarn (1), Tennessee (1)
  • Big 12 - 2, Texas (1), Oklahoma (1)
  • ACC - 2, Florida State (2)
  • Big East - 1, Miami (1)
  • Pac 12 - 1, USC(w) (1 - vacated)
  • Big Ten - 1, Ohio State (1)
So looks like the SEC has had 5 different teams (a third of the conference) win National Championships over the CFP/BCS era, while the Big Ten has 1.

Hmm... lets look at something:

CFP Championships
  • SEC - 6, Alabama (3), Georgia (2), LSU (1)
  • ACC - 2, Clempson (2)
  • BigTen - 1 Ohio State (1)

BCS Championships
  • SEC - 9, Alabama (3), Florida (2), LSU (2), Aubarn (1), Tennessee (1)
  • Big 12 - 2, Texas (1), Oklahoma (1)
  • ACC - 2, Florida State (2)
  • Big East - 1, Miami (1)
  • Pac 12 - 1, USC(w) (1 - vacated)
  • Big Ten - 1, Ohio State (1)
So looks like the SEC has had 5 different teams (a third of the conference) win National Championships over the CFP/BCS era, while the Big Ten has 1.

Exactly as I said ....
The SEC has Bama and another that changes year to year.

Btw, I'm talking say 2014 when the BCS started I guess.

Wait a minute, What are you counting ?
Texas and Oklahoma haven't won anything outside of thier Conference in Lightyears.
Florida State ???

I have NO IDEA what your looking at ?

Fwiw, don't try to argue this for the next 3-4 weeks, I'm not into it.

I am curious what your criteria was (how far back and what not) you named some teams that haven't been in the Conversation for years.

Like I said in the beginning, the SEC has Bama and (now Georgia) and a team that has a very good year from time to time that team changes most years.

The Big Ten has Ohio State and the rest change from year to year ...
TTUN and Penn State are the 2 that have been in that Conversation the most .

The Top of Both are Very good and the Bottom 1/3rd are no better than any other Conference.

Exactly as I said ....
The SEC has Bama and another that changes year to year.
Yes it changes, but that change is easily 3 or 4 teams. Florida has several good years under Spurrior and Urban, as did Alabama.

Not sure why you put Georgia on the same pedestal as Alabama, as their success if fairly recent.
Btw, I'm talking say 2014 when the BCS started I guess.
BCS started in 1998
Wait a minute, What are you counting ?
Texas and Oklahoma haven't won anything outside of thier Conference in Lightyears.
Florida State ???

I have NO IDEA what your looking at ?
I was looking at the entirety of the BCS and current CFP eras. I could look at the earlier Bowl Coalition and Bowl Alliance days which will give Florida some more wins if you so desire.
Fwiw, don't try to argue this for the next 3-4 weeks, I'm not into it.

I am curious what your criteria was (how far back and what not) you named some teams that haven't been in the Conversation for years.

Like I said in the beginning, the SEC has Bama and (now Georgia) and a team that has a very good year from time to time that team changes most years.

The Big Ten has Ohio State and the rest change from year to year ...
TTUN and Penn State are the 2 that have been in that Conversation the most .
And when has Michigan and Penn State last won a championship game? Or even been in a championship game for that matter?
The Top of Both are Very good and the Bottom 1/3rd are no better than any other Conference.
Sorry, but while the Big Ten is pretty much always 1 or 2 good teams, the SEC typically has at least 3.

Sorry but the Big Ten just doesn't have the caliber (top to bottom) as the SEC.

Yes it changes, but that change is easily 3 or 4 teams. Florida has several good years under Spurrior and Urban, as did Alabama.

Not sure why you put Georgia on the same pedestal as Alabama, as their success if fairly recent.

BCS started in 1998

I was looking at the entirety of the BCS and current CFP eras. I could look at the earlier Bowl Coalition and Bowl Alliance days which will give Florida some more wins if you so desire.

And when has Michigan and Penn State last won a championship game? Or even been in a championship game for that matter?

Sorry, but while the Big Ten is pretty much always 1 or 2 good teams, the SEC typically has at least 3.

Sorry but the Big Ten just doesn't have the caliber (top to bottom) as the SEC.
I am talking about recent , not back before you were born.

As I have been saying all along ... the SEC has Bama and a few teams that rotate ...
Big Ten has Ohio State and a few teams that rotate ....
Very similar ...
Bottom half of the SEC is No different than the Big Ten or any Other conference for that matter.

Most of what I'm looking at is Current, even going back to say 2013 when the CFP started ...

Btw, when did Saban 's last run with Bama start ?
Bama wasn't Bama before that for a Long time.

Georgia has been out of the loop until recently with Kirby Smart.

I really don't care too much about what happened 30 years ago.
Hell TTUN even tied for a MNC back in the 90's.

They kicked the Buckeyes all over the place in the 90's.
Then the Buckeyes came into the 2000's and kicked TTUN but for 20 years.

I Expect that TTUN will continue to be a tough out .... we'll see what happens when thier current RB and QB move on ... then we'll know more.

edit:
Ok, Saban started at Bama in '07, so this will be his 15th year there ...
Haven't heard too much about him moving on, but 15 years is a very long run for most ...
Think I heard earlier, is he signed thru '27 maybe ...
Who controlled the sec before Bama in '07 ? (2000-2006) Florida was there in '06.

I am talking about recent , not back before you were born.
LOL, I was born long before the BCS and earlier bowl coalition/alliance. Suffice it to say, I easily remember Georgia's 1980 National Championship, and was attending Ga Tech when we won it in 1990 (had an awesome time at the Orange Bowl when they crushed Nebraska to take the title). :D

So recent is a very relative term. ;)

Reactions: Jimbo
Who controlled the sec before Bama in '07 ? (2000-2006) Florida was there in '06.
The "Evil Genius" otherwise known as Steve Spurrier, as well as Fulmer at Tennessee.

But Stallings also won a Natty with Alabama as well as Fulmer with Tennessee, with Aubarn going undefeated with Bowden (Aubarn was on probation at the time, so no title).

Seriously, do you have an adversion to googling the answers you ask? Because this is all easily available.

The "Evil Genius" otherwise known as Steve Spurrier, as well as Fulmer at Tennessee.

But Stallings also won a Natty with Alabama as well as Fulmer with Tennessee, with Aubarn going undefeated with Bowden (Aubarn was on probation at the time, so no title).

Seriously, do you have an adversion to googling the answers you ask? Because this is all easily available.
If I did that, whats the point of having a conversation ?

If I googled everything, why come here at all ?

The SEC has released the 2024 conference schedule for when Texas and Choklahoma join.

Every team's 2024 SEC opponents​

Alabama Crimson Tide

Away: LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Home: Auburn, Georgia, Missouri, South Carolina

Arkansas Razorbacks

Away: Auburn, Mississippi State, Missouri, Texas A&M

Home: LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas

Auburn Tigers

Away: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri

Home: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Florida Gators

Away: Georgia (Jacksonville), Mississippi State, Tennessee, Texas

Home: Kentucky, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Georgia Bulldogs

Away: Alabama, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Texas

Home: Auburn, Florida (Jacksonville), Mississippi State, Tennessee

Kentucky Wildcats

Away: Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas

Home: Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina, Vanderbilt

LSU Tigers

Away: Arkansas, Florida, South Carolina, Texas A&M

Home: Alabama, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt

Mississippi State Bulldogs

Away: Georgia, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Texas

Home: Arkansas, Florida, Missouri, Texas A&M

Missouri Tigers

Away: Alabama, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Texas A&M

Home: Arkansas, Auburn, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt

Oklahoma Sooners

Away: Auburn, LSU, Missouri, Ole Miss

Home: Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (at Dallas)

Ole Miss Rebels

Away: Arkansas, Florida, LSU, South Carolina

Home: Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Oklahoma

South Carolina Gamecocks

Away: Alabama, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt

Home: LSU, Ole Miss, Missouri, Texas A&M

Tennessee Volunteers

Away: Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, Vanderbilt

Home: Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi State

Texas Longhorns

Away: Arkansas, Oklahoma (Dallas), Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Home: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State

Texas A&M Aggies

Away: Auburn, Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina

Home: Arkansas, LSU, Missouri, Texas

Vanderbilt Commodores

Away: Auburn, Kentucky, LSU, Missouri

Home: Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrL39OT8p7Q

Reactions: Jimbo and AZ.
SEC Shorts is always funny.

Seriously, I don't see the call for 9 conference games in the SEC. Especially when you understand that four teams have to play major rivals non-conference (South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, plus probably Oklahoma-Oklahoma State). That is 10 games. Too many. 8 conference games is enough for the SEC.

SEC Shorts is always funny.

Seriously, I don't see the call for 9 conference games in the SEC. Especially when you understand that four teams have to play major rivals non-conference (South Carolina-Clemson, Kentucky-Louisville, Florida-Florida State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, plus probably Oklahoma-Oklahoma State). That is 10 games. Too many. 8 conference games is enough for the SEC.
Bedlam football is dead after this season unless OU and the sec want to buy out some of OSU games. The OSU schedule is set thru 2037. The only current opening is in the 2030-31 season.

Not really, there's no shortage of Mountain West schools that wouldn't jump at the chance to join the PAC-whatever. Same as how the Big XII has always been able to add teams and rebuild after the last 2 times they lost multiple teams. The Pac-12's future really rests on what they get from the new media deal.

Not really, there's no shortage of Mountain West schools that wouldn't jump at the chance to join the PAC-whatever. Same as how the Big XII has always been able to add teams and rebuild after the last 2 times they lost multiple teams. The Pac-12's future really rests on what they get from the new media deal.
They pretty much dead after today.

IMHO, don't think of these things as conferences anymore. They are groups of schools that have nothing in common whatsoever which are in packages assembled to sell TV rights. As such, being geographically spread out (unless you are the SEC, which doesn't need to be) makes sense.

IMFHO, the Pac 12 is now at the end of a 20 year mismanagement of self-inflicted wounds. First was the idiotic P12 Network and the idiotic decision to not be on DirecTV. Sports is DirecTV, DirecTV is sports. If you are in the sports business, you get on DirecTV. That simple. Then, they waited until all of real TV was full and tried to sell the schools on some dopey package on streaming. How many people are actually going to pay $10/month or whatever for a Pac 12 package when they can watch 100s of games for "free" (included in things they already pay for). Maybe less than 100K? The Pac 12, another thing killed by streaming. The list keeps getting longer.

As of right now:

- The Pac 12 has 4 schools left. Oregon State and Washington State, which fit culturally and geographically (and school size and mission) in the Mountain West. Stanford is a private school for rich kids, they can dip into their endowment and pay for sports or just raise tuition, its not like the students expect to pay it back. California is the odd man out. It actually is an attractive program. Named for a state (the largest one) and in the SFO TV market. It has never been a real national power, but it offers more to a TV package than, say South Carolina or Minnesota.

- The SEC is, well, fine. See the ACC below, but other than that, fine.

- The Big 10 is, well, fine, BUT it has some legacy dead weight. If you blew the whole thing up, would you rather have California and Stanford, or Indiana and Purdue?

- The Big 12 is RC to the SEC's Coke and the Big 10's Pepsi. People only really drink it if there is nothing else, or if they were raised on it. Demographics is destiny, and the Big 12's are not great.

- The ACC. Everyone says the ACC has this grant of rights until 2036. A team simply cannot afford to leave. For every lawyer there is an equal and opposite lawyer, but I think that if somebody thought they could find a loophole, they already would have. But anyway, does the SEC need Clemson. It is good right now, and backed into a national championship back in the 80s, but for the rest of the time it has been a mediocre program in a small state (one already a part of the SEC TV package) not named for it and tucked away in the hills on one of its borders. Does it need Florida State or Miami? Neither have been good for a long time, and they already have Florida. On the other hand, schools like UNC, Duke, and Virginia fit in the Big 10 and bring in new media markets and growing states. Which leaves everyone else?

- Notre Dame? ? ? ?

- As to the "group of 5", there will be MAC schools that just give it up as costs rise. No body care about MAC football. CUSA is likewise insignificant. The Mountain West looks, with the additions, to be close to the equal of the Big 12. The SBC and the AAC (which needs to give up the whole "power 6" act and accept what it is) can find a niche, assuming the ACC doesn't raid them. Other than East Carolina, there is nothing there the ACC would want.

I figure in a few years, five maybe? There will be the SEC, the Big 10 and then a distant third being the big 12 as the three “power “ conferences.

The SEC and the Big 10 will take the main powers from the acc, the big 12 might pick up some mids, and the others will be like the pac 12 left overs. They have their contracts, but when it costs the main schools 30 million plus a year, they will find a way, or eat it.

The playoffs will be restructuring their qualifiers sooner rather than later, as what they have planned no longer works.

They pretty much dead after today.
Yeah I saw, it's the PAC-4 now with Oregon & Washington going to the Big Ten and Arizona, Arizona State & Utah going to the Big XII.

Be interesting to see what they do. Could a merger between them and the Mountain West be in play? Though I hear rumors of the ACC doing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.