211 can't be a dvr?

skidog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Waconia, Minnesota
I added a EHD to my 211 and called the number to activate the dvr function, after 15 minutes and nothing happening when I pushed the dvr button I called Dish tech support and the guy told me that the 211 does not have that capability.:confused: Any ideas what I should do next?

Next time a problem like this , try the TECH department . They are always better suited for technical issues like external hard drives.

Echo that! When I called the 800 number that appeared on the screen to activate my 211's EHD I got a CSR offshore somewhere. The language barrier was bad enough, but her screaming kids in the background really iced the CSR cake for me. After 15+ mins. and no joy I called tech service and they straightened everything out. Seems the CSR had tried to activate external storage for my 622. The TS guy not only activated the EHD on the 211 but also cleared-up the mistakes in my account the CSR caused. I'll find a "technical reason" for any query now and just call TS instead of CS...

Funny thig is, the guy who told me it could'nt be used as a dvr was the tech department. I told him it says right on the web site it can be used as a dvr and he told me the web site was wrong. I just gave up with him, it took 2 more calls finally the last tech guy fixed me up. I knew I was in good hands when he started explaining that he has multiple EHD's hooked up to his equipement at home.

My 211/EHD has been amazingly effective and trouble-free for over a year now -- I hope yours does as well. The only difference I notice between my 211 and my 622/722 is the "back" button goes back 30 seconds instead of 10, the fast forward is a bit jerky (and slow), and the menu does not allow for the grouping of recordings in folders. Oh, and the $40 fee which only applies to the 211, I have to pay another $40 plus EHD fees to put an EHD on my other receivers :mad:.

Same re: effective and trouble-free. I had some "stuttering" glitches early on, but I think that was due more to my weak signal strength on 129. I haven't noticed the jerky FF, but I am a bit torqued about the 30-sec. jump back (vs. 10 sec.)

Clarifying the second $40 fee - that would apply 1-time if you want to add an EHD for "external storage" to your DVRs. You could pay it once then add an unlimited number of EHDs to the 622 and 722, and those could be swapped effectively between those 2 receivers. You cannot swap between the 211 and 622/722 however, which is my complaint since I have a 211 and 622 and would like to move stored programs between the locations. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but I think I have it right...)

U do

Same re: effective and trouble-free. I had some "stuttering" glitches early on, but I think that was due more to my weak signal strength on 129. I haven't noticed the jerky FF, but I am a bit torqued about the 30-sec. jump back (vs. 10 sec.)

Clarifying the second $40 fee - that would apply 1-time if you want to add an EHD for "external storage" to your DVRs. You could pay it once then add an unlimited number of EHDs to the 622 and 722, and those could be swapped effectively between those 2 receivers. You cannot swap between the 211 and 622/722 however, which is my complaint since I have a 211 and 622 and would like to move stored programs between the locations. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this but I think I have it right...)

You are correct. 1 thing that I don't understand why they did it the way they did.

Usual answer...because they can!

I wonder how many subs. like the OP and myself have a mixed system of DVRs and non-DVRs. We're the ones getting the double-dip on fees. I should probably just bag my 622 and convert to another 211 w/EHD to save the monthly DVR fee. But then I lose the dual tuner and PIP capabilities that I like in the 622 and actually use sometimes...

Can'nt record on 922

Power inserter questions ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts