22Khz Multiswitch + Diseqc to my DVB card....will it work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobolito

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I have a complex setup of 6 LNBs going to an FTA receiver. Those LNBs are connected to three 22Khz multiswitches (two LNBs per multiswitch), and then an output of each multiswitch going to a Diseqc switch (ports 1, 2 and 3). Then that goes to my FTA receiver.

Now, I want to start using a DVB PCI card in my computer and I was wondering if my wiring/switching setup will work with the DVB card.

I have read that a 22Khz multiswitch alone will work with the Twinhan cards and also a Diseqc switch by itself will work, but I don't know if a combination of both will work. In fact, I have seen the software screens where you can setup the 22Khz tone or the Diseqc port number. However, I don't know if there is a way to set up the DVB software the way I setup my FTA receiver, because it is a combination of 22Khz switches and a diseqc switch.

Has anyone done this configuration with a DVB card? Thanks!

You select your diseqc as normal and then there is a trick for operating the 22K switch;

Switch setting
11700 = Tone on
12700 = Tone off

Twinhan cards don't have a good reputation for working with cheap diseqc switches.
They will work fine with real switches, but the ones you get free with your receiver are bottom of the barrel.

There was a long thread on MyTheatre forum some time ago, about modifying the cheapies.

On a different matter, are you just going to replace your STB with the PCI card?
Or were you looking for some magic way to hook those six LNBs to both receivers?

You select your diseqc as normal and then there is a trick for operating the 22K switch;

Switch setting
11700 = Tone on
12700 = Tone off

can you elaborate on this one? I've got the same problem on my 102G with DVBdream.

Where are you putting 11700/12700?

Twinhan cards don't have a good reputation for working with cheap diseqc switches.
They will work fine with real switches, but the ones you get free with your receiver are bottom of the barrel.

There was a long thread on MyTheatre forum some time ago, about modifying the cheapies.

On a different matter, are you just going to replace your STB with the PCI card?
Or were you looking for some magic way to hook those six LNBs to both receivers?

I think I will want to add the DVB card as a secondary receiver instead of replacing my DVB box. I was thinking of just taking the RF pass-trhough on the box and connect it to the DVB card, but then I though that only works fine if I'm watching channels on the same transponder, so it's next to useless. So I am just going to add a second line from the roof.

But don't worry, I know how to do those complex connections 6 LNBs to 2 or even more receivers. That's not a problem. All I needed to know was if it was possible to get a DVB card to work with my switching setup before I buy the card. But I've been reading around different forums and it looks like it is possible.

Maybe someone can explain in more detail where those numbers posted earlier should be entered:

Switch setting
11700 = Tone on
12700 = Tone off

Maybe someone can explain in more detail where those numbers posted earlier should be entered:

Switch setting
11700 = Tone on
12700 = Tone off

Where depends on what software you plan on using?

In MyTheatre LNB settings there are three boxes;
LOF1, SW, LOF2

The SW box has two pull down entries already for you "0" and "11700"
11700 = Tone on
0 = Tone off (Only in MyTheatre, all other program you better use 12700, 12700 will also work with MyTheatre)

"LOF 1, LOF 2 and SW settings explained

Universal LNBs use two different LOF settings. 9750 and 10600 and a SW (switch setting) to tell the receiver when to switch to the second LOF.

SW (Switch setting) is the freq that the receiver switches to the second LOF, when a receiver switches to the second LOF it also applies a 22 KHZ tone to the LNB.

A switch setting of 11700 = all freq below 11700 use LOF 1 and no tone, all freq at 11700 and above use LOF 2 and a 22KHZ tone.

A switch setting of 12200 = all freq below 12200 use LOF 1 and no tone, all freq at 12200 and above use LOF 2 and a 22KHZ tone.

A switch setting of 12700 = all freq below 12700 use LOF 1 and no tone, all freq at 12700 and above use LOF 2 and a 22KHZ tone.

*Examples are of an LNB with a LOF of 10750, yours may be different.*

Problems
LOF 1 10750, SW 11700, LOF 2 Zero = LOF of zero is used on all freq over 11700 and nothing tunes.

LOF 1 Zero, SW 12700 (or zero in MyTheatre), LOF 2 10750 = LOF of zero is used on all freq under 12700 and nothing tunes.

Best practice
Leave LOF 1 and LOF 2 the same number except when using Universal LNBs.

Realize that;
LOF 1 Zero, SW 11700, LOF 2 10750 = Will work and
LOF 1 Zero, SW 12700 (or Zero in MyTheatre), LOF 2 10750 = won’t work.

or

LOF 1 10750, SW 12700(or Zero in MyTheatre), , LOF 2 Zero = Will work and
LOF 1 10750, SW 11700, LOF 2 Zero = won't work."

When using BandStacked LNB's the SW setting of 12700 is too low and 13700 should be used for Tone Off.

I was thinking of just taking the RF pass-trhough on the box and connect it to the DVB card, but then I though that only works fine if I'm watching channels on the same transponder, so it's next to useless.
Maybe I'm an ignorant savage on this topic, but I think the passthru is not quite that useless. You should be able to receive any transponder of the same polarization on the LNB that has been selected by your STB. In my case with bandstacked DP gear, the downstream receiver can tune to any channel on any transponder from the satellite selected by the upstream receiver.

dear ignorant savage . . .

:D - :D - :D

Good catch there, Krell !
Though, if he's got six LNBs, I doubt old Bob will be swapping them out any time soon for the bandstacked flavor. :)

But as you say, he'll get all the transponders of a single polarity.
Half a loaf, not the whole... still better than nothing.
However, I'd want to be unrestricted by any of those constraints, and cruise the other five satellites he's aimed at.

Bob, perhaps you'll share with us, how you have those six LNBs connected.
hint: some pictures of your dish/switch/lnbs would be nice . . .

Yea, but that wouldn't expand to support two receivers...
Hope he's got something better.

I guess four 4x4 switches, followed by a 4-input diesqc might work.
That would expand to 8 LNBs...and 4 receivers.
But it'd take LNBs with two outputs each.
(hope I thought that through before I wrote it) :)

Yea, but that wouldn't expand to support two receivers...
Hope he's got something better.

I guess four 4x4 switches, followed by a 4-input diesqc might work.
That would expand to 8 LNBs...and 4 receivers.
But it'd take LNBs with two outputs each.
(hope I thought that through before I wrote it) :)

Only Bobolito knows?

But two sets of;
(Three 22K tone switches behind one diseqc switch to the reciever), fed by dual LNB's would work.
Again my guess.

This is my setup:

LNB1 and LNB2 go to multiswitch A (two cables per LNB)
LNB3 and LNB4 go to multiswitch B (two cables per LNB)
LNB5 and LNB6 go to multiswitch C (two cables per LNB)

One output from mutiswitch A goes to Diseqc switch A on port #1
One output from mutiswitch B goes to Diseqc switch A on port #2
One output from mutiswitch C goes to Diseqc switch A on port #3

Another output from mutiswitch A goes to Diseqc switch B on port #1
Another output from mutiswitch B goes to Diseqc switch B on port #2
Another output from mutiswitch C goes to Diseqc switch B on port #3

Output from Diseqc switch A goes to FTA box.
Output from Diseqc switch B will go to DVB card.

If receiver selects Diseqc port #1 with 22Khz OFF, it will communicate with LNB1
If receiver selects Diseqc port #1 with 22Khz ON, it will communicate with LNB2
If receiver selects Diseqc port #2 with 22Khz OFF, it will communicate with LNB3

....and so on.

I can expand my setup for up to 4 receivers by adding Diseqc switches to the additional outputs of the multiswitches the same way I connected the existing Diseqc switch.

If I want to go beyond 4 receivers, then I will have to replace all three of my 4x4 multiswitches for multiswitches that have more outputs. For instance, by replacing my multiswitches for 5x8 multiswitches and connect them the same way I did above, I can continue adding Diseqc switches up to 8 receivers. So the total number of receivers I am capable of supporting depends on the number of outputs in my multiswitches.

With this technique I am limited to 8 LNBs because my Diseqc switches only have 4 inputs. If I want more LNBs, then I have to add more multiswitches per pair of LNBs and replace my Diseqc switches for switches that have more LNB inputs. But then the problem becomes that FTA receivers only support up to 4 ports on the Diseqc setting. But then again, I already get more than what I wanna watch with 6 LNBs. I don't envision having any more than that. If the need ever arises, I rather get a motor.

Hope this is helpful....

Bob -

Good work on the switches.
Sounds like you have everything under control. :cool:

However, let me repeat my comments about -some- diseqc switches not working reliably with Twinhan boards.
Here's an old thread with good info, but if you'll flip to the 4th page, I've given the link into the MyTheatre board where modifications to the switches are described.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-pc-dvb-discussion/80143-cant-get-twinhandtv-pci-card-work.html
Keep us informed of your progress. - :up

Thanks Anole. I ordered a 1028 card. Still waiting for it. Just a few more days before I get in trouble with my computer. I hope I can figure it out. ;)

Thanks Anole. I ordered a 1028 card. Still waiting for it. Just a few more days before I get in trouble with my computer. I hope I can figure it out. ;)

Can you tell me how you made out of this using Mytheatre? I am looking to have a similar configuration. If you get it to work please show me your diseqc and switch configurations.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.