3.5" Portable Satelllite finder meters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Johnson114

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 18, 2012
Hello my fellow forum members, I have been looking at some 3.5" portable Sat finder meters on eBay one in particular Satlink WS- 6906 and WS- 6908 and another off brand model which are from China. But i was able to find two U.S sellers, I will like to have the one with mpeg4 compatible which is very expensive. The 6906 and 6908 are mpeg 1 and 2 compatible. Do you think the meters with mpeg 2 are ok. The reason is because as you guys know we are in a world which things get upgraded all the time. I don't want to buy a device and I will have to buy another one later. I'm still new to this FTA world but reading few forums here about some sat changing from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 broadcast.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
If you are interested in the Satlink meters and wish to be future proof for several years, consider the MPEG2/4 version, WS-6822. MPEG2 will be around for many years more, but already you will find a satellite that does not have an active MPEG2 transponder and would need an MPEG4 to lock.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I bought one of those satlink units for a good price and it works pretty good for setting up dishes. It is no good for DVB-S2 but I have found that once I peak whatever transponders I can find the DVB-S2 ones come in pretty good so it saves me a lot of time.

Xizer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2012
WI
Purchasing a new meter which cannot handle MPEG-4 or DVB-S2 is quite unwise.

The number of DVB-S and MPEG-2 feeds available continues to shrink. Even PBS is finally going all MPEG-4/DVB-S2 by the end of July.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I wonder when newer technology will take hold, or if this is going to be mainstream at DVB-S2/MPEG-4 for a while. I am guessing it will be years before anything newer will take hold for most stations especially after they just now upgraded?

Xizer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2012
WI
H.264's successor, HEVC, doesn't even have a final draft until next year.

It will take years for encoders to be developed and rolled out. DVB-S3 is still just being proposed and is in the very early stages.

Neither one of these will be ready for anyone to use until at least 2013 and I think it will be years before DVB-S2/H.264 broadcasters switch to them.

Johnson114

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 18, 2012
SatelliteAV said:
If you are interested in the Satlink meters and wish to be future proof for several years, consider the MPEG2/4 version, WS-6822.

WS- 6822 is kinda expensive. It cost around $325 on ebay. The cheapest is around $279 also on ebay

Xizer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2012
WI
The SatHero SH-200 is my preferred meter.

It supports all the various modes, DVB-S, DVB-S2, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)