3 ABN Satellite Install

Jpar

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Eastern Virginia
I was asked to Install a 3 ABN Satellite Dish Hook up.
I am not familier with this system.
How is this differ from installing a regular Sky Angel Dish receiver sysyem?

Any one had experience on this??

Thanks,

Jpar

3ABN is on AMC4, which is located at 101 degrees west (same orbital slot as DirecTV). Sky ANgel is at 61.5 degrees (40 degrees to the east)

The receiver needs to be programmed with the info to pick up the satellite and also the LNB needs to be skewed for proper signal.

Where is this being installed and we can give you the angles and info for aiming :)

You will also need a FTA receiver, linear LNB, 30-36" dish. You need to be "bang" on. A sat finder helps a lot. The good news is that 3ABN is on a very strong TP.
I have installed a least 4 of them. It's not hard, just different from Dish/SkyAngel.
Bob

I got my first dish and receiver directly for 3ABN and it was pre-programmed for 3ABN.

I was surprised when I aimed it at AMC 4 and 3ABN just popped up on the screen

Hey Guys.. Thanks for coming to my aid on installimg the 3abn Dish System.
You asked for location. I am in Easern Virginia Zip 224

Gosh it is good to be able to receive some help from you guys that have had some
experience with this instillation. I use a Channel Master Sat Meter
I hope the FTA ? receiver linier LNB will be packed with the 30 -36 in dish. The person says all parts are packed in the package. What is the AMC4 Sat? Thanks JPar

You asked for location. I am in Easern Virginia Zip 224

Gosh it is good to be able to receive some help from you guys that have had some
experience with this instillation. I use a Channel Master Sat Meter
I hope the FTA ? receiver linier LNB will be packed with the 30 -36 in dish. The person says all parts are packed in the package. What is the AMC4 Sat? Thanks JPar

AMC4 is the satellite name where 3ABN (and hope Network) reside. There are lots of satellites up in the sky besides DirecTv & DIsh Network :)

I used Richmond as the location. I get

40.2 elevation of dish
225 azimuth (approx)
skew of 27.3

You NEED to skew the LNB or it will be a bugger to get. Here is how to skew the LNB
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/LNBF-Installation.htm

225 azimuth is basically SW :)

Iceburg, you have answered most of my Questions, and quite prompt also!
You and Others have helped me with answere to some other things in the Past
Thank you so much!
I am about 45 miles East of Richmond Va. The degrees you have given me should be very close.

Thanks again,
Jpar

Be sure that you check the dish for damage or warping during shipping before mounting onto the elevation bracket. FSS signals are much weaker than the DBS satellites. I prefer using a glass table, if available, and lay the dish face down. Observe to make sure that the edge of the dish is laying perfectly flat with absolutely no gap. If not, pick the dish up by the high edges like a steering wheel and lightly thrust the dish away from you while flexing your wrist. Lay the dish back down to confirm that all edges are laying flat. If not, repeat.....

Use the included Tripod support legs if using the Universal Roof/Wall mounting post. If not, you are just asking for a warranty service call when the winter winds load up on the 36" dish. You will really like the included spirit bubble level and self-leveling post. You don't even need to mount the foot straight to plumb the post!

Be sure that the LNBF rotation (skew) is set. Standing in front of the dish looking into the reflector, the LNBF will be rotated counter clockwise. If not set correctly, you might not get a signal quality reading from the receiver.

If you have any problems locating the satellite use a DirecTV LNBF and a Signal Identifying meter like a Lacuna, SatHawk, Birdog, etc. or a DirecTV receiver, place the DirecTV LNBF in the LNBF clamp and locate DirecTV 101W. Swap back to the included linear LNBF and connect to the system's receiver. Place the receiver on 3ABN (strongest Transponder) and fine tune the dish aiming then the LNBF rotation. Next go to the HOPE Channel and further fine tune on the weaker channel.

If the system includes the Fortec Mercury II receiver, be sure to follow the instructions and activate the preloaded channels before starting the install.

Let us know how the job goes!

Brian,
Thanks for your Input on this.
We need all the help we can get when tackleing a new type of system.

Thank You!

Jpar

Jpar,

I'm probably not too far from you, also in zip code 224. I have installed several sat systems and have a meter and other tools. Give me a PM if you want some hands on help.

I have done many, MANY 3ABN systems. Everything you need will be in the box. There will be a VHS tape or DVD with step by step instructions on how to set up the system. I would watch this tape at least twice before you start.

The 3ABN dishes are much stronger than they were before because of the rolled edge. I don't find much problem with bending of the dish anymore, but it is good to check.

Also the receiver will come preset so that if you leave it alone and just turn it on when the instructions say, when the dish is pointed at AMC4, 3ABN will "pop up" on the tv when you get it aimed right.

I find it easier to use a fence post to mount the dish to instead of the wall mount they send. If you go this route it will cost about $15 more to buy the pole and cement from Home Depot.

I set the pole with fast setting cement. While the cement is drying I put the dish together and run the coax. By then the cement is set enough to mount the dish.

Preset the elevation that 3ABN recommends on the "alignment" paper that comes in the package. Set the LNB rotation, also by using the setting on the enclosed sheet. Then go about 20 feet in front of the dish. Using your compass line up the magnetic heading on the "alignment sheet" Make sure there is nothing metal in your pockets or close by while using the compass.

Looking at the dish with one eye. line up the Compass, LNB and pole. Rotate the dish until the LNB is in line with the compass and pole along the line you sighted . Tighten up the pole bracket a little tighter then finger tight and 80% of the time you will be on the 3ABN satellite and 3ABN will pop up on the tv screen. Then fine adjust the dish to peak the signal . With the receiver they use you should be able to get a quality reading of 99 if everything is perfect.

If 3ABN does not "pop up" rotate the dish on the pole a FRACTION. In other words the smallest amount you can move it. Stop and count to 5 before you move it another fraction. Then stop for 5 again. Go about 10deg. on both sides of the magnetic heading you sighted before. If no signal raise or lower the elevation, rotate the dish back and then try again.

3ABN has phone help in case you get stuck. You should be able to do this. Plan on spending at least 2 hours. If it is your first one it might take 5 hours or so to do everything.

Last edited:
I find it easier to use a fence post to mount the dish to instead of the wall mount they send.

I used a fence post in concrete but I could not get it tuned in so I gave up and found a technition in the Yellow Pages to come out and do it. He charged me $60 but told me he didn't like the fence post at all and said the wind may blow it too much to keep the signal. (We average 11 mph winds here but wind storms of 40 mph are common and every few years we get one up to 60 mph - apart from the once in 20 year huricane that comes)

So I built a block wall and mounted it to that. I later had him return for some other service and he was much happier with the wall mount.

I know the fence post does move some if you grab it and shake it. The last thing I do when I peak the signal is to grab the pole an shake it around while watching the tv to see if the signal breaks up. If someone is worried about the pole flexing they could fill the pole with cement.

I don't like the wall mount because if you have a wood frame house, you can't always hit a stud with the mounting plate and support arms. If you have a cement or block foundation you have to drill 4 holes in cement at just the exact place to get the pole plumb.

I used the wall mount twice. In the first home one of the support arms pulled out of the wood in a strong wind. In the second home I mounted to the basement wall. I guess the builder used some junk concrete in the wall because the Tapcon screws kept pulling out of the hole. Also it takes a hammer drill and large drill bit ( which I have) to mount to the cement walls.

After those two times I switched to pole mount.

The only trouble I have had with the pole mount was when a tornado bent over the mother-in-law's dish. I just grabbed the pole and bent it back straight and it works great.

I can dig the hole and mix the concrete in less then 10 min. Also a lot of the time I can't find a clear shot to AMC4 without resorting to the pole mount.

I do wish 3ABN would have kept using the bigger mounting brackets that fitted on the bigger fence posts. Those post don't bend at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)