$3000 to spend on TV at Best Buy - which one?

flamtap

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Cary, NC
Hi,

in June '03 I bought a Samsung DLP at Best Buy and bought the PSP. In December I requested service because the set was making too much noise (color wheel?). They ordered a new light engine but it is indefinitely backordered, so they are going to give me a new TV under the Lemon exchange clause.

So now I can pick out any new TV at Best Buy for $3000 or less as the replacement. I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

My current TV is a 43" - We might have room to go up to 50" or even 56". (I'll really have to measure to see if 61" would fit).

I haven't done any research in a while -- what are the best TV's out there now? We are mostly just watching TV (SD and HD) on our 622 box, and some DVDs occasionally.

Should I stick with DLP (Samsung) or Sony SXRD?
Should I think about plasma or LCD?

Thanks for any tips/advice,

-flamtap

I would personally go with the SXRD. The latest model has the speakers underneath so you may be able to get the 60 inch. But the 55 inch would work as well and it is a fantastic TV! Also, make sure and take into consideration your viewing distance before deciding on the size of the tv. I have found that these TVs are much bigger in your house then they seem to be at the store.

Hi,

in June '03 I bought a Samsung DLP at Best Buy and bought the PSP. In December I requested service because the set was making too much noise (color wheel?). They ordered a new light engine but it is indefinitely backordered, so they are going to give me a new TV under the Lemon exchange clause.

So now I can pick out any new TV at Best Buy for $3000 or less as the replacement. I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

My current TV is a 43" - We might have room to go up to 50" or even 56". (I'll really have to measure to see if 61" would fit).

I haven't done any research in a while -- what are the best TV's out there now? We are mostly just watching TV (SD and HD) on our 622 box, and some DVDs occasionally.

-flamtap[/QUOTE

If I was going to spend that much on a HDTV.I would recommend going with the
LCD flat screens.All microdisplays(DLP/LCD/LCOS ect.) are RPTV's that are powered
by a light bulb that last between 3,000 and 8,000 hours then you have to buy another one:mad: .Do your homework work know how long the light source in your TV is going to last.Always question the BB salesperson but if they tell you that that HDRPTV's light bulb lasts 60,000 hours realize the salesperson doesn't know jack squat about that TV unless it's a CRTHDRPTV.Always go in to BB thinking they will lie to you because they will.Realize a 1080p HDTV is great if you also have a HDDVD player orPS3 otherwise 720p or 1080i will do with a upconvert
DVD player.Good Luck! and Good Hunting!.:)

If I was going to spend that much on a HDTV.I would recommend going with the
LCD flat screens.All microdisplays(DLP/LCD/LCOS ect.) are RPTV's that are powered
by a light bulb that last between 3,000 and 8,000 hours then you have to buy another one:mad: .Do your homework work know how long the light source in your TV is going to last.

I was just looking at information on the LED DLP sets from Samsung. They would eliminate the bulb-life issue.

I certainly don't plan to listen to anything the BB salespeople say... I want to see what my choices are and then do more research. I don't mind the bulb issue, though... I never had a problem with my current set (with the bulb anyways) and one bulb for a few hundred dollars every 3-4 years is ok.

I'd be happy with 1080i or 720p, but pretty much anything over $2000 (I'm trying to maximize the value of my "replacement") is 1080p nowadays.

The Sammy's rock. That said look at the JVC HD-ILA 1080p sets. Unless Sony has changed the difference between SXRD and HD-ILA is Sony uses an organic layer that is prone to early failure while JVC uses an inorganic layer.

When our Pioneer croaked last fall as I was leaving for CEDIA (THAT made the wife unhappy!) upon return we got a JVC HD-ILA.

Probably the most telling phrase my wife has ever uttered (HT related) happened 2 weeks ago. I've been a HT editor for 6 years so she's no stranger to displays and display technologies.

We were laying on the couch watching the JVC and a commercial came on with some rather ugly people in it. She said, and I quote, "Sometimes it isn't an advantage to have such a wonderful TV."

I can't think of higher praise.

Can you split the money between different things? Say a Samsung HL-S5686 and other stuff like a new A/V rec. or DVD player..

Can you split the money between different things? Say a Samsung HL-S5686 and other stuff like a new A/V rec. or DVD player..

No... and apparently even after the 3 different phone conversations I had with Best Buy people I was mistaken as to what replacement I could select.

I was able to trade out for a 50" Samsung DLP (HLS5086W - 720p version) which is fine. It's the closest equivalent to what I had, and 3.5 years newer.

I still don't plan to ever spend a dime at Best Buy again, but I'm happy with the replacement.

No... and apparently even after the 3 different phone conversations I had with Best Buy people I was mistaken as to what replacement I could select.

I was able to trade out for a 50" Samsung DLP (HLS5086W - 720p version) which is fine. It's the closest equivalent to what I had, and 3.5 years newer.

I still don't plan to ever spend a dime at Best Buy again, but I'm happy with the replacement.

Nothing wrong with the TV you bought. Amazing picture after set up congrats.

Nice set. Call Greg Lowen to see if he'll be in your area to calibrate it, you'll be amazed, he's one of the best if not the best around.

I'm sure you'll get years of use out of your new DLP. DLP may well be the most popular microdisplay technology sold today.

For the benefit of others reading this thread and shopping, I'd like to second Digital Dude's comments on the JVC D-ILA. I have a 61" 720 set. Never a problem. I had a friend buy the new 1080 set, 56". Absolutely gorgeous. I've seen some JVC models available at Costco, as well as BB & other places. You can get a superb 61" 1080p JVC D-ILA for around $2,000. And Sony does seem to be having problems with their SXRDs.

The great thing about RPTVs is you can replace a burned out bulb for around $250 and have a set as good as new. Plasmas will just get dimmer over time and there's no restoring them to "good as new." Most LCD direct views will eventually need a new backlight, but that may be cost prohibitive. And the RPTV gets you a larger screen for the money. I'm sure flat, hang on the wall HDTVs will eventually drive RPTVs off the market, as they get cheaper and cheaper. But today, the sweet spot is with RPTVs.

Nice set. Call Greg Lowen to see if he'll be in your area to calibrate it, you'll be amazed, he's one of the best if not the best around.

I was going to have my set calibrated, but I think I'll wait now until I get a high def DVD player. But yes, his name certainly comes up often with people getting calibrations.

The great thing about RPTVs is you can replace a burned out bulb for around $250 and have a set as good as new.

It's closer to $150, based on a few price checks around the web.

My biggest worry is the color wheel... On my 43" Samsung I had it replaced once under the manufacturer's warranty. It went bad again (this time Best Buy's warranty repair decided to replace the whole light engine (includes bulb, color wheel, DLP chip?) Anyways, this part is indefinitely backordered, so they approved the replacement.

The problem with the color wheel is that it became very noisy. Worked ok but distracting. Hopefully Samsung has ironed out those problems by now.

Well yes, the color wheels can be a problem. They've changed the design, something about air bearings. As DLPs shift to 3 chip versions, and LED versions, color wheels will go away. But most folks never have any trouble with their color wheels.

Hi,

-flamtap

Hey Flamtap,
Exactly how many service requests have you made? And were they all for the wheel?

Hey Flamtap,
Exactly how many service requests have you made? And were they all for the wheel?

I had it repaired once under the Samsung Warranty -- they replaced only the color wheel.

For the more recent repair the TV was out of warranty but still under the Best Buy 4yr service plan. The repair person (for whatever reason) decided to replace the whole light engine rather than just the color wheel. Well, they didn't have any in stock for 2-3 months so that's when I was finally able to get a swap arranged.

Those were the only times I've needed service on the TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)