301 box - split audio?

e0rbay

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Okay... odd situation here that I was unable to figure out.

I have a program on my computer (a poker tournament program) that I like to feed into my TV when I'm having a game at my house. It's just a neat addition to the game. I feed the video from the S-Vid out on my vid card to the S-Vid in on the TV (which is video-3... the regular TV/Dish signal being Video-1)

Anyway... what I'd like to do and was unable to last night is tune the 301 to a music station and pull the audio ONLY and pipe it into the Video-3 via the RCA jacks. I tried this... using the audio RCA's on the back of the 301 and runing that to the audio RCA's for the Video-3 on the TV.

I wasn't able to grab this audio. I'm not sure why... I'm assuming that the RCA's on the back of the 301 are out... although they don't say one way or the other.

Anyone have any ideas how I might go about doing this? Thanks.

hmm.... perhaps if you have the coax out connected it shuts off the rca's??

because other than that i have no idea why it wouldn't work.

i'll try disconnecting the tv out coax and see if that does the trick.

If there's no video going into that Video 3 input, it won't work. The TV probably needs a video load (something plugged into it and active) in order for the audio to come through. Some TVs are picky like that.

The 301 doesn't shut off the RCA/SVideo output with coax connected. I have the coax going to a TV, and the SVid/RCAs going to a Tivo.

He hadn't specifically stated that he had his computer hooked up and running at the time, so I wasn't sure. I don't know what kind of TV he has, so that's a little piece of info missing, especially because he says the Dish is coming through Video 1 as coax, which most TVs don't do. (They consider 'Video' as RCA/Svid inputs, instead of RF)

I'm just throwin' out ideas here. I know some TVs act the way I said before, and as you said, it should've worked otherwise.

hmm... okay... lemme clarify (one point anyway)

the s-vid IS connected to vid-3. the outline on the back of the tv for the vid-3 has both the s-vid and the rca's for left and right audio as well as video.

the tv is a Panasonic CT-32E13

i can't find anything regarding the s-vid connection in the mannual other than a diagram showing it. however, i did notice that there's a setting for the audio for mono or stereo. i'm wondering if, since the LR RCA would be considered stereo (right?) that i need to change the TV settings from analog to stereo? (and for that matter perhaps i need to be using that for the satelite in the first place!!! forget the coax and use the SVID instead along with a stereo connection... but i digress).

i'll test this out tonight and report back.

Yes, it should be set to stereo - and a good test would be to run the satellite receiver into the Video-3 inputs. You may find the PQ a bit better. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)