301 replacement

dbc105

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 7, 2006
I got an email from Dish telling me my 301 might be turned off. I called to see what offered to replace it and the woman told me that they would send a 211 like the other 211 I have but she said they would have to send a tech out to adjust my Dish. First, I own my equipment and she wants to send a lease receiver and said there would be no lease payments. Second, I built my dish up from the widest Direct TV dish available and I have a Dish 1000.2 or a 1000.4 which ever one hits 110,119,129. Where I have the dish on the side of the house I don't think will receive 61.5 like she was saying has to be done. I think the house and the trees in the back yard are gong to be in the way. I have before called Dish and not gotten a person that knows just everything they were talking about. Is that the case here? maybe she is just wrong? She said they would not just send me the receiver, which is the first time I have been told that in my some 16 years with Dish. Can someone clear this up for me?

1. That's great if they're going to replace your 301 with a 211 for free. :D
  2. They replace owned receivers with owned receivers. :)
  3. There is no lease fee. :( There will be an additional receiver fee of $7, just like your 301.
  4. FWIW, the 1000.2 and the 1000.4 w/WA LNB (very rare) both hit your sats. I think you can keep your Frankenstein DTV dish, though, if you are happy with the western arc.
  5. The only reason I can see for Dish to want to come out (to replace your 301) is if they also want to move you over to the eastern arc. What's your DMA?
  6. I'd contact Zach of DIRT to get a more educated response. They're the greatest CSRs ever.

Since moving from a 301 to a ViP211 is an upgrade, I can understand that it would be leased, not owned. There is no "lease fee" - you pay the same, whether owned or leased.

As to the dish - it sounds like you are already getting HD so I don't know why they're sending a tech out, unless your signals are marginal. Using a DTV dish would mean some manual spacing and aiming of the LNBs, since the dish is shaped differently, so I suppose something getting out of alignment is not surprising. The tech will likely want to replace the current dish with an approved Dish dish. If anything, your signal will improve, since the Dish and DTV dishes are close in size. It would take a major increase in size to possibly improve reception.

AH! Should have read more carefully. She wants to move you to EA. LoS might indeed be tricky, and the new dish might well be relocated, especially to a roof peak. I can only assume your locals are, or soon will be, only on EA.

PS- TheKrell types faster than me.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm thinking that the OP is transitioning from WA to EA and that is why the replacement is a 211 and they say the3e is a need to replace the dish. That means that the OP's local channels are going to be available on EA only.

Thanks for the responses. As to my dish, I have a very strong signal and I have had it up for years. The dish looks almost right down the side of the house I have it on to get 110 and I very much doubt it can get 61.5 from where it is located. I don't want it on the roof. I have been with Dish for a long time but that would be a deal breaker. My roof is on a very steep pitch and if a storm comes along and it has to be tweaked I don't want to have to be on the roof dong it and I don't want to have to wait for someone to come out. Right now I can walk up to it. If I have LNB problems there is nothing in my way and I don't have to get on the roof, which would be bad now since it has been raining all week. I will check with Zach(or someone) in DIRT and see if I can get any insght as to the locals moving thought I don't know why they would, I am in West Alabama.

Thanks again and I'll see what I can do.

I am just guessing since I don't have your account infront of me, but it does sound like you're in a market that the locals are migrating to Eastern Arc. If that is the case, unfortunately, a tech would be required to upgrade your receiver. Our system will not let you bypass it. The equipment would be leased since you are going from a 301 to a 211. There is no lease fee as others have said.

The following is a list of DMA's that are being migrated. You shouldn't need a tech if you are in western Alabama.

Market
1 Little Rock AR
2 Gainesville FL
3 Panama City FL
4 Augusta GA
5 Jacksonville GA
6 Tallahassee GA
7 Davenport IA
8 Quincy IL
9 Rockford IL
10 Evansville IN
11 South Bend IN
12 Lexington KY
13 Paducah KY
14 Baton Rouge LA
15 Monroe LA
16 New Orleans LA
17 Boston MA
18 Boston Plus MA
19 Bangor ME
20 Northeast Portland Auburn ME
21 Portland/Auburn ME
22 Portland-Auburn Plus ME
23 Presque Isle ME
24 Lansing MI
25 Columbia/Jefferson City MO
26 Springfield MO
27 Greenwood MS
28 Jackson MS
29 Albany NY
30 Albany Plus NY
31 Binghamton NY
32 Buffalo NY
33 Burlington NY
34 Syracuse NY
35 Utica NY
36 Watertown NY
37 Wheeling OH
38 Youngstown OH
39 Johnstown PA
40 Wilkes-Barre PA
41 Charleston SC
42 Columbia SC
43 Florence/Myrtle Beach SC
44 Greenville SC
45 Chattanooga TN
46 Burlington Plus VT
47 Green Bay WI
48 Madison WI
49 Milwaukee WI

Reactions: harshness
Unless he gets his locals from Greenwood or Jackson MS. It would help if he told us where in Alabama he is and what locals he receives today...

The following is a list of DMA's that are being migrated. You shouldn't need a tech if you are in western Alabama.

Market
1 Little Rock AR
2 Gainesville FL
3 Panama City FL
4 Augusta GA
5 Jacksonville GA
6 Tallahassee GA
7 Davenport IA
8 Quincy IL
9 Rockford IL
10 Evansville IN
11 South Bend IN
12 Lexington KY
13 Paducah KY
14 Baton Rouge LA
15 Monroe LA
16 New Orleans LA
17 Boston MA
18 Boston Plus MA
19 Bangor ME
20 Northeast Portland Auburn ME
21 Portland/Auburn ME
22 Portland-Auburn Plus ME
23 Presque Isle ME
24 Lansing MI
25 Columbia/Jefferson City MO
26 Springfield MO
27 Greenwood MS
28 Jackson MS
29 Albany NY
30 Albany Plus NY
31 Binghamton NY
32 Buffalo NY
33 Burlington NY
34 Syracuse NY
35 Utica NY
36 Watertown NY
37 Wheeling OH
38 Youngstown OH
39 Johnstown PA
40 Wilkes-Barre PA
41 Charleston SC
42 Columbia SC
43 Florence/Myrtle Beach SC
44 Greenville SC
45 Chattanooga TN
46 Burlington Plus VT
47 Green Bay WI
48 Madison WI
49 Milwaukee WI

They supposedly will not work at all for viewing after 31May. I think the dates prior to that was to stagger the change outs.

Unless he gets his locals from Greenwood or Jackson MS. It would help if he told us where in Alabama he is and what locals he receives today...
No part of Alabama is in the Jackson or Greenville DMA. Greenville is in the Delta which is far removed from West Alabama. There are a couple of counties in West Central Alabama in the Meridian DMA, and one county in the Columbus/Tupelo DMA.

i had a 301 replaced with a 211 as well. Dish insisted that a tech come out and replace it. I've had dish at my house for almost 18 years straight and installed and replaced a fair amount of equipment on my own, so I had suggested that they just send the unit.
i live in SW Minnesota
"luckily" the tech was there because during the install, the LNB just happened to die at the same time he was installing the new receiver, killing signal to our other receiver. strange coincidence, but he did fix it all up.
i paid the 40 bucks to "authorize" the use of the usb port on the 211 so I could add my own hard drive. so now I have DVR service and HD signal where before I just had a crappy 301 receiver with SD signal. I'm quite happy. There was no change to my monthly bill, other than the one time $40 charge for the usb authorization (which seems a bit spendy for the 2 minutes it took over the phone, but I'm not complaining)

Reactions: iwannarock1
i had a 301 replaced with a 211 as well. Dish insisted that a tech come out and replace it. I've had dish at my house for almost 18 years straight and installed and replaced a fair amount of equipment on my own, so I had suggested that they just send the unit.
i live in SW Minnesota
"luckily" the tech was there because during the install, the LNB just happened to die at the same time he was installing the new receiver, killing signal to our other receiver. strange coincidence, but he did fix it all up.
i paid the 40 bucks to "authorize" the use of the usb port on the 211 so I could add my own hard drive. so now I have DVR service and HD signal where before I just had a crappy 301 receiver with SD signal. I'm quite happy. There was no change to my monthly bill, other than the one time $40 charge for the usb authorization (which seems a bit spendy for the 2 minutes it took over the phone, but I'm not complaining)
Anytime a dish replacement is necessary they will send a tech. In your case, even if you had a 1000.2WA dish, their system would likely show it as a 500, and still require the tech. If it was a 301 to a 311, they can just ship that out, as the install is identical to an add/swap replacement receiver.

i live in SW Minnesota

Yes but for that $40 fee you are getting a DVR for free while people with a built in DVR are paying $7 to $12 every month!!

Reactions: Mr Tony
The following is a list of DMA's that are being migrated.

Market
29 Albany NY
30 Albany Plus NY

Are the Albany channels going to remain on the Western Arc in standard def?

I have been putting off the upgrade because I didn't want to deal with an installer and having to move my dish setup to see EA satellites. Well today I have been getting calls from 8666688047 and finally decided to answer. It was someone from Dish wanting to do a swap on my 301 to a 311? All along I thought it was going to be a whole new setup on the EA with something like a 211k. She said no everything stays the same and I will get my 311 in 7 to 10 days.

Hopefully this is not a mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)