30w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
just got 30w tonight will post pics tommarow got 30% quality with my slimline dish with dishnetwork super dish lnb.

Dan Rose

here are some pics of my mortar tube i call it that I use for my satellite dish holder. Cuba.jpgCuba01.jpgCuba2.jpgCuba3.jpgCuba4.jpgCuba5.jpgCuba6.jpg

Good job on getting 30W, that one can be a challenge.

I'm guessing that LNBF is looking for a "round" (offset oval) dish, so it probably isn't being illuminated by all of your Slimline.

That is probably the same situation I had on one of my 30W experiments, a LNBF that was not being fully illuminated by a Slimline (elliptical) dish.

Don't know if it would help you any, or if you want to mess with it, but you might try setting your LNBF to zero degrees skew, and skewing your whole dish instead. Here is a thread with some pics of how I did it, might give you some ideas.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/228826-DTV-Slimline-fixed-on-30W

I had to use what I had to work with. i'll check that out the post you made about you getting 30w.

dan rose

elliptical this 'n that

Elliptical dishes always come with a skewable mount.
Elliptical dishes should always be skewed.
An elliptical feedhorn will illuminate the entire dish surface.
An elliptical dish with matching feedhorn will have the beamwidth of a round dish of the same width.
Signal level may be a bit lower, but adjacent bird interference will be reduced, raising sig Quality.

A round feed gets signal from entire dish width, but nothing beyond top & bottom dish edges.
This raises the noise level, lowering performance (which may be fine on strong signals).

Regardless of all the above, feedhorn efficiency plays a role.
example of good: Primestar 84e
example of poor: SuperDish 121
Medeocre band stacked FSS LNBs can be much improved with a better feedhorn.
eg: discussion by Pendragon
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...y-Amps-Are-Good-and-Bad?highlight=Bandstacked

See this thread by Tech#344, also recommendation for better lot numbers of LNBs
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/242947-Question-about-multi-switches?highlight=Dp34

There are other good "how I made my own Feedhorns" stories on the forum. ;)

Do we need an elliptical dish FAQ?

Secondary LNBFs mounted off to the side of the central LNBF play by different rules, which distract from the simplicity of this discussion.

laboriously typed on my iPhone 4. :)

I agree with skewing the dish. I dont see any skew on the feed that you have installed on it from the pictures. for me, 30W is a pretty radical skew:

Your LocationSatellite DataDish Setup Data
Latitude: 42.1656°
Longitude: -88.2942°
Name: 30W HISPASAT 1C | HISPASAT 1D | HISPASAT 1E | SPAINSAT​
Distance: 40112km
Elevation: 14.5°
Azimuth (true): 112.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 115.8°
LNB Skew [?]: -43.2°
arrow-l.png

Were can I get some of the materials to make my own better feed horn? I would like to improve it some if I can. I am just working on a very small budget.

Dan Rose

yeah you should skew the dish
Take the number Bongu posted and take that from 90 (which is on the back of the dish)

so 47 skew on the back of the dish

Today I have skewed the dish to see if that would help the signal quality "It Did". Here are some pics also. I also was using one of my switches that I won from a contest on satellite guys from Satellite AV these are very nice switches that work great.

Dan Rose

Skew 2.jpgSkew 3.jpgSkew 4.jpgSkew 5.jpgSkew.jpg

Good deal, I told ya skewing it would do better(via PM)...just as others have said here. I've used several Modified super dishes and slim lines.

also look at the pic with the quality meter in it look in the corner of the pic and tell me what you see.

Dan Rose

He is talking about the station ID logo...bottom right.

Were can I get some of the materials to make my own better feed horn?
I would like to improve it some if I can. I am just working on a very small budget.

I think you improved you signal from poor to excellent, but here is a thread that may give you some ideas for feedhorns for elliptical dishes.
Read the thread.
Magic Static did some great detective work , there.
His feedhorns are first rate for round dishes!
See the horn in my picture at the front left for elliptical feed.

Don't get bogged down in all the detail, but look over this fine thread by Pendragon for more feedhorn info.
It's required reading! :)

Tech#344 put theory to use and made up some feedhorns to use on round dishes.
Again, if you're looking for ideas, this is another thread worth reading.
(at least the feedhorn part.)

Last edited:
I have the 105W DN superdish LNB and a 121W superdish lnb plus several old Directv and DN circular lnbs. Can I cut the circular feed horns off the DTV and DN lnbs would they work on the superdish DN linear lnb's. The one you have in the lower left in that pic I have that feed horn from a fiberglass superdish with its pencil lnb feed horn right next to it.

dan rose

Great that you got 30W! I'm once again looking thru the tree limbs today and maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot. I've got an old primestar fixed dish 24x35 I think. The skew on the lnb has to be set at something like -45. I'm guessing that to be about 8-9 o'clock? There's one open spot between all the neighbors trees and maybe I'll get it...fingers crossed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CBC Anik F1R at 107.3°W Scrambled?

Eutelsat starts 4K demo channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)