Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Goode VA
Elder in laws have 322 that they say sometimes stops responding to the remote

They say when this happens ...
The other two tags that run off the modulator work just fine
And they say they do hit the sat button on the remote to make sure ....
But they ate unable to do things like change the channels.

Besides the obvious thought that they are maybe in tv mode or other and are not correctly g oing back to sat ...

What else could be going wrong?

Note they do have three ir remotes in that same main room

Sounds to me like the receiver is freezing up? What do they do to get the remote to change channels again? (My first advice - have them unplug the Receiver, wait about 15 seconds or so, then plug it back in)

When this happens the other two tvs on the same receiver work fin on their UHF remotes.

I saw him put fresh batteries in to one of the ir remotes, but can't say if they are weak for certain.

He has been unplugging the receiver and then plugging back in to get it to work again.

If it is freezing then why just on the main output and not on the modulator output?

And if it is the remote then why does it work after he unplugs and plugs back in?

any chance that if one remote is in, lets say, tv mode ...
and he is holding the other remote ...
and presses sat ...
that the receiver could refuse to respond?

and related ...
anyway to disable the "other modes" buttons ?

If un-solvable, then may very well need to do the suggested service call, so that a replacement receiver could be received.

I've never seen this state first hand, and cant help but suspect that the receiver is in some mode, or something is active in the interface that is not readily recognizable to them .. that is preventing the channel changes.

any chance that if one remote is in, lets say, tv mode ...
and he is holding the other remote ...
and presses sat ...
that the receiver could refuse to respond?

and related ...
anyway to disable the "other modes" buttons ?

If un-solvable, then may very well need to do the suggested service call, so that a replacement receiver could be received.

I've never seen this state first hand, and cant help but suspect that the receiver is in some mode, or something is active in the interface that is not readily recognizable to them .. that is preventing the channel changes.

A seperator going bad shouldn't have anything to do with the receiver not responding to remote commands.

If the remote is in TV mode and hes' trying to bring up the guide, yes, that could be a reason why it doesn't respond.

I think it might be IR interference. When they have this issue, tell them to take the remote and hold it up to the IR sensor on the front of the receiver and see if it functions.