35 hour dvr?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gio164

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Called D* today to place an order for a dvr. They told me it would be $120 installation included. But here is the kicker, they told me they couldn't promise me if it would be a 35,40, or 70 hour dvr! Are you kidding me D*, why are they still stocking 35 and 40 hour dvr's. It's a good thing I asked or I would of been really pissed with a 35 hour dvr and a one year commitment.

gio164 said:
Called D* today to place an order for a dvr. They told me it would be $120 installation included. But here is the kicker, they told me they couldn't promise me if it would be a 35,40, or 70 hour dvr! Are you kidding me D*, why are they still stocking 35 and 40 hour dvr's. It's a good thing I asked or I would of been really pissed with a 35 hour dvr and a one year commitment.

I just finished with them today, they sent a DSR708 instead of the R10, after two 'supervisors' I got nowhere. Told me "what they install is what you take, as we can't specify'. They were real azzes about it, although I was trying to be nice. Oh well.

Next time go through a good dealer like Robert at Value Electronics. I told him I wanted 2 R-10's and a few days later that's what I had. Of course I still HAD to upgrade to a 200gb drive from that puny 80gb one ;).

The speed is more in the software update. The r10 comes with 6.1 installed so it already has folders and the speed increase. If they send you an older unit it will need to download the 6.2 software which D* is still rolling out. Once your box gets that there is not really a difference.

Also the dsr708 is a 70 hour tivo same as the r10. The only real difference is the software.

minorthr said:
The speed is more in the software update. The r10 comes with 6.1 installed so it already has folders and the speed increase. If they send you an older unit it will need to download the 6.2 software which D* is still rolling out. Once your box gets that there is not really a difference.

Also the dsr708 is a 70 hour tivo same as the r10. The only real difference is the software.

ok that's cool. Maybe I'll give this 708 a chance and see how it goes after the update..

If there a way to get it to d/l the update or is it just one of those "when your unit # comes up it gets sent."? Also, the only firmware # I see is the 3.1.1e and someone mentioned that is the tivo software , where can one find the actual software of the receiver part?

thanks

Damn Dirty Ape said:
ok that's cool. Maybe I'll give this 708 a chance and see how it goes after the update..

If there a way to get it to d/l the update or is it just one of those "when your unit # comes up it gets sent."? Also, the only firmware # I see is the 3.1.1e and someone mentioned that is the tivo software , where can one find the actual software of the receiver part?

thanks

The 3.1.1e is the software version. As far as getting the update its like you said when they call your number you'll get it. You'll know when you got it there should be a message on the receiver telling you it had a software update.

minorthr said:
The 3.1.1e is the software version. As far as getting the update its like you said when they call your number you'll get it. You'll know when you got it there should be a message on the receiver telling you it had a software update.

hmm.. from 3.1.1 to 6.2 will be a biiig jump. Hope it comes soon, so far my problem is that guide that takes up to 5 seconds to 'paint in' the program grid..

thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.