4:2:2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanleyjohn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 25, 2010
south/central Ct,USA
Very happy with my Solomend receiver!Gets just about everything i can get except 4:2:2.debating on getting a A/Z box ultra HD so i can get 4:2:2 and it would make a great addition to my FTA set ups.My only question here is the future of 4:2:2! is it likely to grow and expand or is it just a fad that will die out in time.Cant se buying a new receiver just for 4:2:2 if it will only effect a small part of what i cannot see.

I think 4:2:2 will stick around, much as it is, a high quality video signal ( also called Studio Video) which is occasionally used. If you have a reasonably powerful PC, I'd recommend you pick up a decent usb based PCI card that will handle DVB-S2 . The software in the PC will decode the 4:2:2 for you . That's what I do for 4:2:2 feeds since I sold my Azbox.
:)

I think 4:2:2 will stick around, much as it is, a high quality video signal ( also called Studio Video) which is occasionally used. If you have a reasonably powerful PC, I'd recommend you pick up a decent usb based PCI card that will handle DVB-S2 . The software in the PC will decode the 4:2:2 for you . That's what I do for 4:2:2 feeds since I sold my Azbox.
Thanks brent! I was also thinking about getting a PC based USB card also.I do have a a few fairly new tower pcs that i use for gameing and a xps dell lap top that has a nvidia 7000 series video card and a few gig of ram in it.Dont want a dud that has many hardware and software issues relating to the pc.I have heard the the prof 7500 was a good choice but need to reasearch this more.

I'm also very happy with the performance of the Prof 7500 ( even under "Winders XP" ) . [edit] I use my desktop in "dual monitor" mode, Nvidea 8600 drivers and have my TV as a second 1920x1080i display. Makes it easy to send the video out there from the PC, when needed. [/edit]

The cheapest way to go is via the USB or PCI card receiver with your PC. Most of the PC cards will do 4:2:2 video as it's just a matter of having the right codecs. Elecard and Etymonix codecs will do 4:2:2 and I just loop out my solomend into the PC receiver and I'm good to go. You can get the PC receivers for less than $100 so it's certainly the most bang for the buck.

lots on KU...mainly college games.
If you blind scan and the symbol rate shows 13235 most of those are 4:2:2. A particular network (4 letters...been around 30+ years now) uses that for the non HD games (HD games are usually 4:2:0) but 4:2:2 can be on any feed. Use to be a symbol rate had to be higher (13235 as example) but I've seen feeds with 3000 symbol rates.

lots on KU...mainly college games.
If you blind scan and the symbol rate shows 13235 most of those are 4:2:2. A particular network (4 letters...been around 30+ years now) uses that for the non HD games (HD games are usually 4:2:0) but 4:2:2 can be on any feed. Use to be a symbol rate had to be higher (13235 as example) but I've seen feeds with 3000 symbol rates.

are there any particular satellites that you normally find them on?

or is it just guessing and blind scanning and hit and miss?

i guess what i mean is are these channels that are on all the time? or are they just feeds you get lucky and find once in awhile by scanning?

Last edited:
A particular network (4 letters...been around 30+ years now)

I didn't realize that _ _ _ _ has been around for 30 years, I had to look it up on Wikipedia, yup started in 1979. Wow I remember when there was no _ _ _ _. In fact (revealing my age) I remember when there was no cable Co. Yes we had electricity and indoor plumbing, but cable hadn't been invented yet.

Jim

Last edited:

Good advice. I use a S-9 for most and a DVBWorld 2104D for the 4.2.2 stuff and there is a fair bit of it. The 2104D model does it all including a great Blind Scan.

Very few regular 4:2:2 feeds. There are some on Canadian birds to practice on, Lyngsat will show them as 4:2:2 .

Re full time 4.2.2, don't forget the scpc NASA feeds on C-band. I think 2 of the 3 scpc transponders are 4.2.2. Those feeds are pretty neat before shuttle launches, showing views of all sorts of things, plus live weather radar, etc. Although I guess there won't be much more shuttle stuff, but those feeds will still be there for other launches too.

stanleyjohn,

I'm very happy with the Ultra, I had an Elite before and the Ultra is much more stable plus it has blindscan. In fact I was so happy with it I purchased a 2nd one for my small Ku dishes.

If you ever find yourself down state let me know. I'd be happy to show you the Ultra.

Very happy with my Solomend receiver!Gets just about everything i can get except 4:2:2.debating on getting a A/Z box ultra HD so i can get 4:2:2 and it would make a great addition to my FTA set ups.My only question here is the future of 4:2:2! is it likely to grow and expand or is it just a fad that will die out in time.Cant se buying a new receiver just for 4:2:2 if it will only effect a small part of what i cannot see.

stanleyjohn,

I'm very happy with the Ultra, I had an Elite before and the Ultra is much more stable plus it has blindscan. In fact I was so happy with it I purchased a 2nd one for my small Ku dishes.

If you ever find yourself down state let me know. I'd be happy to show you the Ultra.

Thanks neighbor!ill keep that in mind :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts