Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
2015 is promising to be huge for Ultra HD and it is a safe bet that it will be a major theme at the upcoming CES. 4K is gaining momentum: prices are going down, the content providers are getting ready, the streaming services are launching 4K services, the standards are getting finalized, chipsets are being developed. Everything lines up nicely for Ultra HD to go big in 2015. But a few important pieces are still missing and CES would be a good place to announce new products filling in the gaps.

Here is what I expect and hope to see announced at CES, (posted this in the Pub, but I think this forum would be a better place for this discussion):

1. Sony to announce the U.S. Version of its "budget" VPL-VW300ES projector.

2. 4K projectors from anyone other than Sony.

3. First 4K Blu-ray players (and first 4K Blu-ray titles) to be announced.

4. 4K Roku or any other standalone streaming device capable of streaming Netflix and Amazon in 4K via HDMI 2.0.

5. A/V receivers with full support of HDMI 2.0, and more importantly HDCP 2.2.

6. 4K capable Hopper and 4K VOD from Dish Network!

Ilya

Unfortunately Mitsubishi and Panasonic have left the building (projectors).

S~

Dang... I'm looking hard at the 4K OLEDs this year for pricing, and also seeing how these quantum dot LCD's do going forward. I really want a bigger screen, but I refuse to let myself compromise PQ.

I think purchases in the next year or so will be disappointing, and replaced rather quickly. Price, HDMI2/HDCP2.2 concerns, maturing technology - all to be major concerns.

JVC, Sony, and Epson are about the only real major players left in the home projector market. And of course BenQ. We'll se what happens with JVC, I heard they might stick with e-shift. Little more than a week left, and then we should know something more.

S~

Too bad LCoS didn't continue for RPTVs. At least its still there for FPTVs.

JVC, Sony, and Epson are about the only real major players left in the home projector market. And of course BenQ. We'll se what happens with JVC, I heard they might stick with e-shift. Little more than a week left, and then we should know something more.

S~

JVC usually does projectors at CEDIA, but they did not release anything new this year. Perhaps they were waiting for the whole HDMI2.0/HDCP2.2 chipset issues to be worked out and delayed their announcement.

Reactions: navychop
Both JVC and Epson tend to announce new projectors around CEDIA, closer to the holiday season. But I suspect this year might be different. With the lack of alternatives and with Sony lowering the prices on its 4K projectors, it is getting more and more difficult for home theater enthusiast to resist the purchase of a Sony projector. So it would be to these other companies' benefit to announce their products at CES, even if they are not ready to ship until Fall. Just to prevent someone like myself from pulling the trigger on a Sony. ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)