5/14/2012 1:17pm - Uplink Activity Report - 2 changes

D

DigiDish Uplink Report

Original poster
SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/14/2012 1:17pm - 2 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 05/14/2012 01:01P - 05/14/2012 01:16P

Channel Package Flag Changes:
201 - NOTAX [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 02 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (Satellite Tax Information)
201 - NOTAX [MPEG4 SD] - Nimiq5 72.7W TP 21 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (Satellite Tax Information)

Channels in the system: 8537
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers
(FP) = Free Preview

The Format and Layout of the SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is © Copyright 2012 SatelliteGuys.US and may not be republished without written permission from SatelliteGuys.US.

The SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is powered by Digiblur Technologies! - DigiDish v12.04.10

© 2012 - All Rights Reserved - SatelliteGuys Incorporated

The following is on the slate;

dish

Don't take my DISH!
Higher Prices? Cutting jobs? Stop HB 1207!

Louisiana lawmakers are considering a bill that is meant to FORCE satellite to carry a particular station. - In doing so, HB1207 will raise satellite TV prices on subscribers- you- and penalize small business owners and employees.

TAkE ACTION: call your state senator and tell him or her that it's not fair to punish subscribers and business owners for not carrying a station.

It's YOUR TV - It's YOUR CHOICE!

Call 1-866-628-6461 to tell your state senator to OPPOSE HB1207

Need more information? Call 1-800-264-7794

The following is on the slate;

dish

Don't take my DISH!
Higher Prices? Cutting jobs? Stop HB 1207!

Louisiana lawmakers are considering a bill that is meant to FORCE satellite to carry a particular station. - In doing so, HB1207 will raise satellite TV prices on subscribers- you- and penalize small business owners and employees.

TAkE ACTION: call your state senator and tell him or her that it's not fair to punish subscribers and business owners for not carrying a station.

It's YOUR TV - It's YOUR CHOICE!

Call 1-866-628-6461 to tell your state senator to OPPOSE HB1207

Need more information? Call 1-800-264-7794
depends on which station.......

5/15/2012 5:01pm - Uplink Activity Report - 2 changes

SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 5/15/2012 5:01pm - 2 changes

Uplink Comparison Range: 05/15/2012 04:46P - 05/15/2012 05:01P

Channel Package Flag Changes:
201 - NOTAX [MPEG2 SD] - EchoStar11 110W TP 02 ConUS beam changed to Not Available (Satellite Tax Information)
201 - NOTAX [MPEG4 SD] - Nimiq5 72.7W TP 21 ConUS beam changed to Not Available (Satellite Tax Information)

Channels in the system: 8537
(A) = Available to subscribers
(NA) = Not Available
(H) = Hidden from non-subscribers
(FP) = Free Preview

The Format and Layout of the SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is © Copyright 2012 SatelliteGuys.US and may not be republished without written permission from SatelliteGuys.US.

The SatelliteGuys Uplink Report is powered by Digiblur Technologies! - DigiDish v12.04.10

© 2012 - All Rights Reserved - SatelliteGuys Incorporated

If I'm reading it correctly, I don't get how it makes Dish carry a channel. In fact, I may agree with the legislation, again assuming I understand it. If Dish or whoever is advertising a service they have to clearly state if they do not carry any of the local channels. Not clear if that includes RSN's, but it should if it doesn't. Am I reading it wrong or not seeing another way it can be interpreted?

I read it as they have state whether they carry locals or not. It doesn't say they have to carry them all though. I don't get why dish is even worry about it as they already carry all of the markets in louisiana. And only one is in SD.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Ahhh They want to provide "sanctions" if Dish drops channels (atleast that how I read it)

A. It shall be an unfair and deceptive trade practice for any person selling or
10 offering for sale television services in this state to misrepresent a fact or create a
11 false or misleading impression to any consumer that such services include access to
12 FederalCommunicationsCommission (FCC) licensed television stations, regardless
13 of whether they are a high- or low-power provider, when such access is not included
14 in its services or capacity for services.

and it doesn't apply to cable companies

in its services or capacity for services.
15 B. This Section shall not apply to television service providers who operate
16 pursuant to a state or local franchise agreement or to any television broadcast station

In other words they want to cut Charlies balls off

I'm just not reading it that way. If they do not come to terms with a station or it is dropped they may have to disclose that to any new subscriber but I think most of us feel they should. But they can't sanction a company under federal laws for following that law if they can't come to terms with a station. I don't see that in the link or what you posted.
I believe cable companies do come under local/state laws for what they must carry because they were awarded carriage so may not be needed to be part of this. At least in Ct ours did at one time, I was on the panel. I don't know if that is still true because now there is competition.

Last edited:
That's how I'm seeing it, too, Tampa. The blurb "regardless of whether they are a high- or low-power provider" also probably refers to sub-channels and other low-powered channels that Dish has never provided, not just carriage agreement issues.

I do see that but I'm not seeing they have to carry them as Dish seems to be saying. I don't think Dish (Or Direct) even needs to say they don't carry them, just be clear what is carried in any local ads. Even on a nationwide basis they can be more specific what they generally carry, that is big four networks, CW, PBS. I think they are close to that now. They can always do the disclaimer to call or visit the website to see exactly what is carried in your area.....
I don't disagree it's an inconvenience that could be handled probably in a different way, and you can't have 50 different laws. If Dish and Direct are going to argue, that would be it. Perhaps if they are the only ones to pass such a law a simple disclaimer in that state you must contact Dish or visit the website is all that is needed. I think there are several ways to handle it.

Last edited:
I'm with you on that...the law seems so harmless to Dish (or anyone), but it also seems so useless that why does it even need to be enacted?

I read it as they have state whether they carry locals or not. It doesn't say they have to carry them all though. I don't get why dish is even worry about it as they already carry all of the markets in louisiana. And only one is in SD.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I wonder if it has to do with KFOL/KJUN 10 (Houma). It is a very local channel that makes the news for issues with cable/satellite negotiations/carriage. The following articles were posted a while back:

Lawmakers reject appeal from owner of Houma’s HTV station | DailyComet.com
Louisiana lawmakers vote to protect local TV station | DailyComet.com

Well that tells me volumes. First I don't think Dish actually read the present bill, they are going on the original one or perhaps taking no chances. The first proposed bill certainly would have been contested. Second, if they are considered LP there may be no bite in the legislation anyway. There is no expectation of a LP channel being carried as long as the provider doesn't make it sound like they carry it. Which brings me to Third, who would have thought it appears to be directed more at Direct TV. Looks like maybe their agents fibbed a little to compete with Uverse and the others who caved and are carrying the channel. This is normal for Louisiana politics.