Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Hi,
New member here.
Has anyone tried installing a 5 LNB antenna on an old oval dish? From information I have read it looks like I only need the birds between 101 to 119. I live in central Texas and think I have a straight shot to the satellites anyway.

Thanks,
Barry

Hi,
New member here.
Has anyone tried installing a 5 LNB antenna on an old oval dish? From information I have read it looks like I only need the birds between 101 to 119. I live in central Texas and think I have a straight shot to the satellites anyway.

Thanks,
Barry

Welcome!

Are you asking about placing the new 5LNB array onto the arm of a PhaseIII dish to use the old dish?

If so, don't, just get the new dish. You will not have any luck.

I doubt you could put the 5LNB assembly on the PH III dish for two reasons.
1) The assembly won't fit the arm and
2) The geometry of the dish is different.

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I didn't figure it would work or more people would be doing it. I see some of the 5 LNB antennas for sale on E-Bay and I thought once one of the sellers stated it cound be installed on the phase III dish but you can't belive everything sellers say. What is the best source of a deal on the dish? I could call D and see if they will give me a deal on the HR20 and a dish but I really don't want to deal with someone installing the dish. I did the original 18" and later the phase III myself and would at least like to try the new one too. Has anyone been able to get a HD receiver upgrade deal without the dish? Maybe tell them I already have one.

Thanks,
Barry

Check with our sponsors at the top of the page... then CC or BB... I'm upgrading, but like you I only install myself...

CC and BB may carry the rec. but they will NOT have the dish.
If your looking for the HR20 or H 20 Costco also has them, a little more than what D* would charge.

HR20 $ 269.
H 20 $ 84 I think it was.

Jimbo

I have heard of installers leaving the dish for you to install if you are willing to sign off their sheet, but that is probably hit or miss. I let the Ironwood guy install it, figuring I would stop him if he did something I didn't like, but it all went well.

Most Amusing!

DTV somehow wants to control the new HD dishes through their HSP folks.

Their HSP folks have been doing satellite installation all day and have a suspicion what is involved.

Competent folks will NOT work for the HSPs.

Any questions?

Joe

Channel Master High Gain DTV Dish

Anyone know of a 3LNB-to-5LNB upgrade kit?
I went to considerable expense and effort a little over a year ago installing a 3LNB Channel Master High Gain DTV Dish not knowing 5LNB configuration was on the horizon. Does Channel Master make a 5LNB arm to retrofit this dish?

I went to considerable expense and effort a little over a year ago installing a 3LNB Channel Master High Gain DTV Dish not knowing 5LNB configuration was on the horizon. Does Channel Master make a 5LNB arm to retrofit this dish?
The KaKu dish has been used for about 2 years now so you must have been sleeping when you bought the Channel Master.

For the Op D* has been installing the 5LNB free with a HDTV receiver upgrade so that is your best deal. Let the HSP install it and if it isn't to your satisfaction you can redo it but the dish was still free.:):):)

A 3 lnb dish will not work for 5 satellites, no matter what lnb you put on it. It is not big enough to collect the signals from all 5. If it was possible, don't you think they would have retrofitted instead of installing new dishes?

IF, you could buy a retro fit , it would probably cost more than a Slimline would cost, plus you would have to install and point it.
D* will pay for the dish and point it for you FREE.

Jimbo

I'd agree that it doesn't make much sense to simply mount the Slimline on an old pole even using the adapter. Reading the descriptions and seeing Slimlines on some of my neighbors' houses still didn't prepare me fully for the difference which is significant. Now I couldn't put the Slimline where my old 3 LNB had been for a couple of reasons, the most important being LOS issues. The second was that the old dish was on the side of the house and while it seemed stable I'd never, ever think to use an adapter even if I added the monopoles. Will add that DirecTV will not automatically provide, install and aim all Slimlines. Mine was in a tricky location so I'm not complaining but the fact is that they did not install. Cost me a bit out of my own pocket but got the majority of it back from DirecTV in "credits".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)