Status
Please reply by conversation.

Begemotik

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 28, 2005
Western Ohio USA
Hello Folks,

I was having problems downloading the Guide, so DTV phone tech support sent out a local tech. After determining that there was a tree in my line of sight for 119, he said all that was needed is to ID my 5 lnb +95 Slimline as a 3 lnb +95 Slimline.

Is this a good solution, or should I call DirecTV and ask for more help. In defense of the tech, a really nice guy, he did offer to move my dish to the roof of my single-story home (which he said probably would allow the 5 lnb +95 to see 119 again). But he also said that all I would be giving up would be my local channels in SD if I did not have 119 line of sight.

I live in West-Central Ohio.

Thanks to all you helpful people. I mostly lurk, but I lurk many times a day :)

Rgds,
Jim

Hello Folks,

I was having problems downloading the Guide, so DTV phone tech support sent out a local tech. After determining that there was a tree in my line of sight for 119, he said all that was needed is to ID my 5 lnb +95 Slimline as a 3 lnb +95 Slimline.

Is this a good solution, or should I call DirecTV and ask for more help. In defense of the tech, a really nice guy, he did offer to move my dish to the roof of my single-story home (which he said probably would allow the 5 lnb +95 to see 119 again). But he also said that all I would be giving up would be my local channels in SD if I did not have 119 line of sight.

I live in West-Central Ohio.

Thanks to all you helpful people. I mostly lurk, but I lurk many times a day :)

Rgds,
Jim

I guess it would depend if you have any programming that comes off the 110 or 119 satellites.
IF you have nothing your getting from the others then changing to the 3 LNB slimline would not be an issue .

If you don't get Spanish programming or your locals from them, I think you'll be fine.

Did he change the LNB's from a 5 to a 3 ?

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. No, he left the hardware as is. All he did was reconfigure from 5 LNB +95 to 3 LNB +95 via my HR20 700.

Rgds,
Jim

PS: No Spanish programming . . . just Russian via 95.

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. No, he left the hardware as is. All he did was reconfigure from 5 LNB +95 to 3 LNB +95 via my HR20 700.

Rgds,
Jim

PS: No Spanish programming . . . just Russian via 95.

IF you want, you can go out and look at the dish and see what it says on the LNB itself, also the recvr should "See" what LNB is being used on its own.

Look in your menus for the Dish Type.

Menu - Set Up - System Set Up - Info and Test - Select - More System Info
Then scroll down to Dish Type and see what it found.

Hey guys, where did the International programming get moved to, its no longer on the 95 that I know of, or is it still and hasn't moved yet ?

IF you want, you can go out and look at the dish and see what it says on the LNB itself, also the recvr should "See" what LNB is being used on its own.

Look in your menus for the Dish Type.

Menu - Set Up - System Set Up - Info and Test - Select - More System Info
Then scroll down to Dish Type and see what it found.

If the service tech didn't swap the SL5 for a SL3, then the receiver will eventually reconfigure itself back to the original 5 LNB plus 95 setup. Consequently, the program guide will try to come in from the (now obstructed) 119

EDIT: is this an all Ohio thread or what? ;)

Last edited:
If the service tech didn't swap the SL5 for a SL3, then the receiver will eventually reconfigure itself back to the original 5 LNB plus 95 setup. Consequently, the program guide will try to come in from the (now obstructed) 119

EDIT: is this an all Ohio thread or what? ;)

Could it be that he had a 3 LNB all along and was configured for the 5 originally ?

Hi Everyone,

I believe there's a 5 LNB setup on my Slimline dish. From left to right, looking from the dish to the sky: One is a large round LNB, next is a small round LNB, and the third is an oblong LNB with a "sun visor" on the top.

Hi Everyone,

I believe there's a 5 LNB setup on my Slimline dish. From left to right, looking from the dish to the sky: One is a large round LNB, next is a small round LNB, and the third is an oblong LNB with a "sun visor" on the top.

You are correct. The largest one is 99, 101, 103....the other two are for 110 and 119.

Hi Everyone,

There should be a tag on the LNB that tells you exactly what it is.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. My question now is, if my 5 LNB +95 Slimline hardware will continue eventually to give me guide errors because it is set for a 3 LNB +95 in the HR 20-700 receiver's software, what should I do next? I do have the monthly maintenance plan. Should I call DirecTV and ask them again to send a tech out to fix the lack of guide updating problem (once I receive the error message again)?

I really appreciate everyone's comments. My question now is, if my 5 LNB +95 Slimline hardware will continue eventually to give me guide errors because it is set for a 3 LNB +95 in the HR 20-700 receiver's software, what should I do next? I do have the monthly maintenance plan. Should I call DirecTV and ask them again to send a tech out to fix the lack of guide updating problem (once I receive the error message again)?

I would, particularly if you can duplicate the situation so they can see it when they get there .... (which I doubt you can do).

My question now is, if my 5 LNB +95 Slimline hardware will continue eventually to give me guide errors because it is set for a 3 LNB +95 in the HR 20-700 receiver's software, what should I do next? I do have the monthly maintenance plan. Should I call DirecTV and ask them again to send a tech out to fix the lack of guide updating problem (once I receive the error message again)?

Yes, you most definitely WILL continue to have guide errors with this setup. If you do a search on this, you'll find several postings on loss of guide info when you lose your 119 signal - changing the receiver setting to 3LNB will NOT fix the problem at all!
Get D* out ASAP & just have them change the 5LNB to a 3LNB & that'll fix all your problems - all it involves is a simple LNB swap.

Hello Dishrich,

You must be a mindreader. The DTV tech called me this morning and said he would be out tomorrow to swap my 5 LNB setup for a 3 LNB setup.

Thanks again for everyone's kind input.

Rgds,
Jim

Keep in mind that the though it that eventually DirecTV will stop using 95 and put internationals on 110 or 119. If this happens and you want Russian you would then need the 5lnb again. Obviously DirecTV would change that for free (I would expect) but you would need the dish moved (or tree moved).

Thanks for the heads up, Jason. When the time comes to drop 95, it looks like my wife will just have to learn how to use a chainsaw to take care of the neighbor's tree :D

Rgds,
Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)