50 questions (ok really only 4)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ghc37

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
What satellite does directv use to send out software updates?

What satellite does directv use to update the menu/program guide?

What satellite does directv use for most basic HD channels? That is to say NOT the subscription movie channels or sport channels like hbo, showtime, nfl, mlb etc.

What would be the absolute minimum signal strength one needs to receive a HD channel? I'm trying to determine if my trees are an issue

What satellite does directv use for most basic HD channels? That is to say NOT the subscription movie channels or sport channels like hbo, showtime, nfl, mlb etc.

What would be the absolute minimum signal strength one needs to receive a HD channel? I'm trying to determine if my trees are an issue

1; 101
2: 119 (or 101 on a single / slimline 3 sat setup)
3: 99 and 103
4: 75 generally for consistency except rain, but 90+ is peaked.

1)101
2) With the slimline 5, 101 if you are tuned to a channel on 99/101, 119 if you are tuned to a channel on 103/110/119. But if you have an SWM system it's always 101. And if you don't need 119 (some locals and the hispanic package) you can use a Slimline 3 where the guide comes from 101 all the time
3) 99 and 103
4) Things start to go wrong in the 60s, and you will have major rain fade issues at those sorts of levels.

If you give us your zip code we can tell you which satellites you need. Hopefully it will just be 99/101/103 in which case you can use a slimline 3, and those satellites are so close together the chances are if you can get 101 you can get 99/103 also.

The trees

Well 99 is the only issue, I do have a big tree in the southeast corner. Signal in the low 60's but surprisingly I have had very little problem except w
hen Thunderstorms overhead. I'm asking because my h21-700 is getting constant hard drive errors when I reboot, pretty much nonfuntional. They are shipping me a replacement and I wanted to clarify that the 99 issue wasn't gonna screw up my setup. All other sats signal between 85-100

Well 99 is the only issue, I do have a big tree in the southeast corner. Signal in the low 60's but surprisingly I have had very little problem except w
hen Thunderstorms overhead. I'm asking because my h21-700 is getting constant hard drive errors when I reboot, pretty much nonfuntional. They are shipping me a replacement and I wanted to clarify that the 99 issue wasn't gonna screw up my setup. All other sats signal between 85-100

It's incredibly unusual to be able to get decent signals on 101/103 and not on 99. At 200ft from your house, the difference between 101 and 99 is only about 7 feet horizontally, and that would be right at the top of a very tall tree. have you had the dish realigned to try to get better 99 signals?

Signals in the 60s on 99 are, as I said, right on the margin - significantly below the DirecTV install threshold (80s) but enough to give you reception most of the time.

Most of the HD channels are at 103 but the newer ones are all at 99, including the ones that have been moved from the 110/119 satellites.

And what's your zip code?

zip code

72019. Maybe I better go back and look at 101 again. Another question, how can I get a fedex tracking number from Directv?

In Little Rock your SD locals come from 119 so you would need the Slimline 5 to get all the channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts