522 Dishin'it up promo details

The one box can record two different channels at the same time. But that ties up both tuners regardless of what rooms you are feeding them into. You can also watch two different DVR shows while you're recording two different live broadcasts. I.E. it can be recording 2 streams and playing back 2 different streams, all independantly of each other. Not to mention keep the guide and other system functions chugging along and overlaying the screen and such.

Mike_H said:
The one box can record two different channels at the same time. But that ties up both tuners regardless of what rooms you are feeding them into. You can also watch two different DVR shows while you're recording two different live broadcasts. I.E. it can be recording 2 streams and playing back 2 different streams, all independantly of each other. Not to mention keep the guide and other system functions chugging along and overlaying the screen and such.

Thanks Mike
Like all the Dish Manuals It seems like no matter where you look it never explains what the units capabilities are . The technology has come quite far since the 501 . My father unfortunately for him has purchased a 921 , that unit seems to have a lot of issues enough to make him rely on his 510 and me to reconsider obtaining one

sbrinck said:
Hooked up the 522 late this week and just started to admire the functions. The UHF remote was DOA but a call to Dish had a new one here in two days . The 6.0 remote also out performs the 501s by a big margin . The 522 is in the basement theater and the family room is on the other side of the house. With the stock remote you had to wave it around trying to locate a sweet spot.
If you have this kind of issue upgrade you will thank me . The manual is as lame as the 501. Is it correct that you can DVR two channels in the same time period ? The customizable guide is cool. The fact that my Kids can watch Animal Planet and I can watch whatever has allready paid for itself . The down side is no more HD the 811 is going back to Dish. But I am sure I will have a OTA HD tuner by the time football returns and I almost forgot
I am now" lease free"

Wait, you're saying if you buy a 522 off Ebay you don't have to pay a lease fee? I was under the impression that all 522's had the lease fee regardless if you got them directly from Dish or off Ebay. I'm assuming you still have to pay the VOD fee though right?

If you own the 522 I don't see how they could charge you a lease fee since its your equipment but stranger things have happened before so don't take anything for granted make sure you confront them about it.

If you own the 522 and it's not your only receiver you will be charged the $4.99 mirror fee which is the same for all owned equipment beyond the first. so it works out to be the same unless you only have 1 receiver.

I guess they will figure out a way to get those fees its kinda like Taxes you alway have to pay them one way or another.

kbohip said:
Wait, you're saying if you buy a 522 off Ebay you don't have to pay a lease fee? I'm assuming you still have to pay the VOD fee though right?

If you have more than 1 receiver on your account you pay $5 extra per each extra receiver you have. It makes no difference if you own or lease.
Everyone also pays the $4.98 monthly VOD fee for the DVR-522

DHA lease plan also includes your local channels in the $5 lease fee so if you are paying for Locals anyways the monthly cost is the same.
If you don't want Locals or can't get them in your area then you are paying the $5 lease fee and not getting any extra benefit.

kbohip said:
Wait, you're saying if you buy a 522 off Ebay you don't have to pay a lease fee? I was under the impression that all 522's had the lease fee regardless if you got them directly from Dish or off Ebay. I'm assuming you still have to pay the VOD fee though right?

According to the Dish CSR I spoke with the only lease fee was for the 811. But I have been misquoted from Dish so many times it makes my head spin . Most of the real info I have found on this site
As "jtravel" pointed out I am paying for locals and hopfully the lease fee should not be on my next invoice. But I would be willing to bet differant .
Any takers ?

can't exchange 522 for 322..

Hi...

I just signed up to dish on 1/31 and got the 522 and a 322. But I have realized I
don't like the 522 dvr.. it doesn't have any of the tivo features I hoped it had.
So I called today and told them I want to swap it out for a 322.. they said I had
to pay $49. I was so upset.. that I told them to send me the shipping label so I can return the box to them.. I shouldn't have to pay.

I called back today to ask again, why was there a $49 charge.. and they said cause
I needed to have it installed... I told them I don't need an installer. I am quite capable of installing it myself. then they transferred me to technical services and they said it was because I could only have 2 receivers at one time. That doesn't make sense.. I am asking them to swap/exchange one receiver for another.

That sucks!!!

I almost want to cancel the service...

cybergal said:
Hi...

I just signed up to dish on 1/31 and got the 522 and a 322. But I have realized I
don't like the 522 dvr.. it doesn't have any of the tivo features I hoped it had.
So I called today and told them I want to swap it out for a 322.. they said I had
to pay $49. I was so upset.. that I told them to send me the shipping label so I can return the box to them.. I shouldn't have to pay.

I called back today to ask again, why was there a $49 charge.. and they said cause
I needed to have it installed... I told them I don't need an installer. I am quite capable of installing it myself. then they transferred me to technical services and they said it was because I could only have 2 receivers at one time. That doesn't make sense.. I am asking them to swap/exchange one receiver for another.

That sucks!!!

I almost want to cancel the service...

Get use to it !!
You have to deal with the "DEVIL" to own a Dish !!
But like Caesar stated the 522 will find the same shows you DVR , it will also record new or reruns of same show but it will not make suggestions for that kind of "tivo" nonsense you have to pay a fee which to me really sucks !! . I would work with the 522 for a while before I send it back , That install fee is a hard monkey to get off your back about the only way I have found is purchasing a receiver.
But if you enjoy working a great deal with Customer Service you have found the right provider !!

Well, my quest appears to be no where near the end. It's been almost 3 weeks since my original email to the ceo account. They still can't tell me why I can't get a 522, and will give no timetable as to when they will tell me. Based on what I'm reading, I'm not sure I even want it anymore, but I'm pissed off that they don't care about my business at all. So, last weekend I send the rep an email reply and told her Dish can expect me to continue paying for my service when they get my request answered. Still no reply what-so-ever.

I got an email a few minutes ago from ceo@dishnetwork, responding to my question as to why I can't get a 522 just because I got an 811 recently. Here is the answer I got:

"At this point in time we do not have the option of getting you a 522 under the current Dishin' It Up promotion. The reason that it is not currently available to you is because you have previously participated in the promotion for an 811 receiver. There is a promotion that is currently being worked on for customers in situations similar to yours except there will be a 12 month commitment. The promotion has not been finalized as of yet but we will contact you to let you know when it is available."

Kristen at E* called me last night (home, cell, and work!!!) to tell me that she COULD give me the 522 offer even though I had got the 811 back in December. She stated that it would be $149 (although the web site shows I can get it for $99..) and I would have to sign a 1 year committment.

I told her thanks, but no thanks. I am not locking myself into a 1 year term with them with all that is going on at V* and D*. I expect to be on one of those two services before the end of the year since they have at least announced plans for better equipment, without paying an arm an a leg for the right to LEASE it.. I know they may not come through with everything, but they just might surprise us and i want the ability to move when I want, not when Dish says I can...

I have supported Dish for a long time and still try but my patients is starting to wear thin. I to want for my commitment to be up so I can move if I decide to. Sad thing is Dish could have the best receivers going if they wanted to. All they need to do is invest in a little effort and money. Also train their employees better .

For what they want for the upgrade you could purchase one for close to that and be able to resell it later on if you wanted to vs. losing all the money if you lease it because you would have to ship it back or be charged $300 by Dish Network.

Another "new guy" question

recording from 301 guide to dvd?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts