612 Reboot at exactly 3:00am

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
For the last two nights, I've been awakened by the loud loud fan of my new (< 1 month) 612 rebooting itself. And each time, it's been exactly at 3:00am. I don't have anything scheduled for recording at that time. Any ideas as to what may be happening and, more importantly, how to stop it? The blue "HDTV" light is so bright that I always turn off the receiver before going to sleep. Thanks.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
3:00 am is factory default time for updates. As per above, you can change time.

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks. But why would there be updates each of the last two nights and why would updates necessitate a (noisy) reboot?

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Thanks. But why would there be updates each of the last two nights and why would updates necessitate a (noisy) reboot?

Unfortunately it is a noisy process. It goes through this daily even though there may or not be an available software update. It also keeps the 9 day epg up to date also. You should set the time to update when you were not in the room sleeping or watching it.

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
Is it smart enough not to do this if something is recording? And assuming so, will it try later that day or again at the scheduled time? And, BTW, thanks for the response; I thought I had a bum 612 that decided to reboot all the time like a 622 I had at one point that needed to be replaced.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
No, it will not avoid your programming nor catch up, contrary to some statements here, and will cause a loss of part of the recording running. If you have any overnight recordings or add new timers, first check menu-8-4 for the reboot time and then DVR-DVR-DVR or menu-7 for the schedule for now and hit next day a few time to check those days too. Adjust the Updates time as needed. Try to pick a good time and don't sleep with your DVR! You can set it as little as 2 minutes from current letting you not get out of your chair to force a reboot. Remember to then readjust Updates time.
-Ken

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
No, it will not avoid your programming nor catch up, contrary to some statements here, and will cause a loss of part of the recording running.
That is incorrect. Will not interfere with scheduled timers.

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Then there must be a difference with the 612. My 722's will not reboot until after the timer has finished.

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 7, 2005
According to the Update screen, all it's doing is updating the EPG data. Why would that necessitate a reboot?

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
The EEPG update doesn't require a reboot. But it also could be updating firmware, which would require it.

I think the real reason Dish firmware does this daily reboot is for garbage collection. <- pure speculation

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Dish has had a daily reboot ever since they had the 921 HD DVR. The 921 had so many problems that it needed a daily reboot to keep running somewhat smoothly. They have done a daily reboot ever since on all the new models just because they want to be sure.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Unless something "broke" in the software, and presuming the 612, 622, 722, 722k and so on share that portion of code, the update should NOT override a recording or timer that's set for the same time.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
The 921 had so many problems that it needed a daily reboot to keep running somewhat smoothly. They have done a daily reboot ever since on all the new models just because they want to be sure.
Many years ago when we had a 522, audio/video out-of-sync issues were very, very common. I found that rebooting the 522 every 3-4 or so days really helped avoid AV sync problems. Pretty sure that the 522, which came out after the 921, did NOT do daily reboots.

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Many years ago when we had a 522, audio/video out-of-sync issues were very, very common. I found that rebooting the 522 every 3-4 or so days really helped avoid AV sync problems. Pretty sure that the 522, which came out after the 921, did NOT do daily reboots.

I guess it could be just the HD DVR's but I thought that my 522's did reboot daily.
I don't have them anymore so someone that actually does have a 522/625 will have to confirm whether they do or don't reboot nightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)