622 HDD Replacement

skyviewmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Bay Minette, Al
Any of you geeks out here know which hard drive to buy these days to replace the existing one in a 622. At last check the Seagate ST3500830SCE was listed as the best possible replacement, but it seems to be unavailable these days.. My 622 went into the dreaded clicking and lost all DVR functions. It is my 622 and I am not going to get it replaced through DISH.. I just want to drop in a new drive.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

If you are going to replace the drive yourself, it's a tradeoff between speed/space and heat.

Any Sata II drive will work but the faster (of course) the better. But the faster you go, the hotter it will become and the VIP series seriously has some issues in heat dissipation. So if you go with a 7200 RPM drive at a higher density it will be much faster and have much less latency but it will also get pretty hot.

But I do have a suggestion. There are 3.5 to 2.5 SATA adapters. Take a look at the Western Digital Scorpio BLACK (Make sure it's BLACK, don't get the Blue or, heaven forbid, the Green editions, they will not stand up to the DVR) Edition 2.5 notebook drives. These new monsters come up to a terabyte (I just got a 250G for my Mac, 7200 rpm, 16meg of onboard cache, for $69 bucks!).

You could get a 500 or higher model. The black edition not only has the 16meg of on-board cache but also 2 processor to control the mechanics and caching. The 3.5" versions can come with 32meg of cache on board.

The nice thing about the notebook drive, if you can figure out a mount (probably pretty easy) is that it won't get as hot as the 3.5", the latency will get better the more data you pack on it (less seek time and less movement) and the best thing is that it won't be jammed into the current 3.5" box. If you can free float it and support it by the sides, you will create an air cushion around it further enhancing the cooling capability.

Just what I would try to do if I was my 'owned' 622 and I wanted to super-charge it.

P.S. Before anyone asks an SSD (Solid state) won't work because the dish software has no idea how to issue the trim command.

The OP is talking about the internal drive in the 622 - not the EHD. Just any drive won't work.

The Seagate is the only one I found recently from the list but its sold out from where I bought it.

The OP is talking about the internal drive in the 622 - not the EHD. Just any drive won't work.

The Seagate is the only one I found recently from the list but its sold out from where I bought it.

Yes that is what I am looking for. I want to replace the internal hard drive which has failed. The switch out is simple.. It's finding the drive that seems to be the issue.. The Seagate (ST3500830SCE) drive seems to be the best according to all I have heard but seems to no longer be available.. Guess I was looking to see if anyone knew which drive replaced this. Or a comparable one to drop into my 622.

Just my curiosity, why would you, as a dish dealer, be opposed to letting them swap out the receiver? Unless you've done something like Smith's heat modifications where they'd reject it, I don't see a reason not to.

FYI, from post 8831 at the yahoo group "dishmod" which seems to contain the list as of Nov 2007, I have not seen anything newer. These nine seem to be the usable choices, if you can find them:
<320>
Hitachi HCS725032VLA380
Maxtor 6L320S0
ST3320820SCE
ST3320832SCE
WDC WD3200AAJS-57
WDC WD3200JS-57PDB0

<500>
Hitachi HCS725050VLA380
ST3500830SCE
WDC WD5000AAJS-57

Last edited:

Ok, I'll bite. Why won't a higher grade drive work thats rated for higher transfer rates and continuous use? The Scorpio blacks are used in high end SATA raid arrays running workload such as Oracle and VMWare. It's difficult for me to believe that old technology (the 622 was released 2-3 years ago) can't be upgraded with new technology that has higher specs than the old one.

I'm not arguing or doubting you, just curious.

I had a VMWare array that I bought 8 WD Green drives because I bought the Green 'thing' and the overall specs were close to the Black edition and wanted to save ten (literally the difference between the drives) bucks each. End result, VMWare ran like a pig in quicksand. I replaced them all with the same exact size of the Black edition and now the servers are blazing fast! Anyone want some 650G Green drives? :D I have them stacked up in their original bags.

The Scorpio Blacks are what EMC and Netapp use in their SAN devices after they run their certification process on them. I've been told that only 4% don't make it for one reason or the other (outside heat specs, mean time flush cache and park, etc). At work I have EMC SANS that have SAS and SATA DAE's. All the 7200 RPM SATA DAE's use the WD drives. I must admit though, that I've yet to figure out how their testing and certification makes a $100 drive a $1800 drive? Marketing, go figure.

Ok.. I'll give you that the ones we use at work are the 3.5" version but EMC, Equalogic and Netapp are all coming out with higher density versions of their SAN's with the 2.5" drives.

The reason any old drive won't work, is that the firmware of the receiver will only recognize certain drives. If they are not in the list the receiver won't recognize it and boot up

Ok, I'll bite. Why won't a higher grade drive work thats rated for higher transfer rates and continuous use? The Scorpio blacks are used in high end SATA raid arrays running workload such as Oracle and VMWare. It's difficult for me to believe that old technology (the 622 was released 2-3 years ago) can't be upgraded with new technology that has higher specs than the old one.

I'm not arguing or doubting you, just curious.

I had a VMWare array that I bought 8 WD Green drives because I bought the Green 'thing' and the overall specs were close to the Black edition and wanted to save ten (literally the difference between the drives) bucks each. End result, VMWare ran like a pig in quicksand. I replaced them all with the same exact size of the Black edition and now the servers are blazing fast! Anyone want some 650G Green drives? :D I have them stacked up in their original bags.

The Scorpio Blacks are what EMC and Netapp use in their SAN devices after they run their certification process on them. I've been told that only 4% don't make it for one reason or the other (outside heat specs, mean time flush cache and park, etc). At work I have EMC SANS that have SAS and SATA DAE's. All the 7200 RPM SATA DAE's use the WD drives. I must admit though, that I've yet to figure out how their testing and certification makes a $100 drive a $1800 drive? Marketing, go figure.

Ok.. I'll give you that the ones we use at work are the 3.5" version but EMC, Equalogic and Netapp are all coming out with higher density versions of their SAN's with the 2.5" drives.
You (as relatively newbie here) missed a lot of good info regarding internal disks of 622/722/612 models. Try to find old posts/threads by using a keyword 'approved' or take a look on mentioned Yahoo group.

Unfortunately, your long posts do not fit into the topic entirely.

Smith,

You could have just answered the question nicely like Mark did and not flame me for being a newbie. You were once a newbie and I'm sure if people disrespected you, as you just did me, you would not have stuck around. Now, I have a reason to stick around if it's not just to find an error in one of your posts! :rant:

And Mark, thank you for your courteous and mature post. I did not know that E* literally checks the drive identification. I guess Smith figures that anyone that knows less than him is useless.

Heaven help anyone that offers a suggestion here!

And Smith, sorry for my long post and that they offend you. I guess it's much different than your 6 worded 'unintelligible' posts. You do know, that if English is not your native language that there are very good translators out there like Babelfish so that people that actually understand and communicate in English can understand the 6 words you generally type as a response.

The thread is not about our fight - you could by intelligent enough do not continue here. Using PM for venting could help readers here.

"Ok, I'll bite." - sorry, it was wrong ass to bite :D

Ha Ha

Smith,

You could have just answered the question nicely like Mark did and not flame me for being a newbie. You were once a newbie and I'm sure if people disrespected you, as you just did me, you would not have stuck around. Now, I have a reason to stick around if it's not just to find an error in one of your posts! :rant:

And Mark, thank you for your courteous and mature post. I did not know that E* literally checks the drive identification. I guess Smith figures that anyone that knows less than him is useless.

Heaven help anyone that offers a suggestion here!

And Smith, sorry for my long post and that they offend you. I guess it's much different than your 6 worded 'unintelligible' posts. You do know, that if English is not your native language that there are very good translators out there like Babelfish so that people that actually understand and communicate in English can understand the 6 words you generally type as a response.

But then it would be P if he didn't answer the way he did. LOL See he used 10 words in the reply. He's almost getting chatty there.

Time to cancel your order - hurry.

There are no APPROVED WD for sale.
Only from someone who removed the WD from 722 !
All approved WD are OEM, not for sale.