625 too hot to operate?

pugmom

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
S.F. bay area
I got an interesting message when I tried to turn on the TV for the first time today. The 625 receiver would not come on and the message said it was too hot, 122F and trying to operate it at this temp would damage it. It has been hot around here, about 96F and current outside temp was only about 80F when I tried to turn the tv on. The 625 dos not have anything on top of it but it sits on top of a VCR. I was about to call tech support but then it started to work again so I thought i would post my question here instead. Doesn't the receiver have a fan? I am wondering if I should be concerned about this and if the DVR or maybe the fan is starting to fail?

Look at the back of the receiver you can see the fan. Is it working? It may have already failed. Temporarily you can setup a fan to blow on the outside to cool it down.

Look at the back of the receiver you can see the fan. Is it working? It may have already failed. Temporarily you can setup a fan to blow on the outside to cool it down.

The 625 has ventilation vents on the left side of the DVR(when looking at the front).

Press in on the power button and hold for 5 seconds until the 625 resets...if you don't hear the fan during reset contact Dish network for a replacement.Good Luck!:)

The 625 has ventilation vents on the left side of the DVR(when looking at the front).

Press in on the power button and hold for 5 seconds until the 625 resets...if you don't hear the fan during reset contact Dish network for a replacement.Good Luck!:)

You're right, I couldn't see anything when I looked at the back. I have not had any more trouble with the unit over heating which only happened during our heat wave which is over now, really weird. I will test the fan with the reset button to make sure it is working though. Thanks!

You're right, I couldn't see anything when I looked at the back. I have not had any more trouble with the unit over heating which only happened during our heat wave which is over now, really weird. I will test the fan with the reset button to make sure it is working though. Thanks!

Your welcome.If your 625 is in an entertainment center on top of your VCR it could get hot,but normally the 625 runs cooler than alot of Dish network's DVR.:)

Pugmom this information is in case you don't know.Press Menu on the remote control,number 6 System Setup,number 3 Diagnostics,select Counters,use Page up and Page down to scroll,Page down to almost the last display you will find the Hard Drive counter temperature numbers.Mine is HDD High Temp-107F,HDD Low Temp-80F,HDD Average Temp-100F, on my 625. You can keep track on your temperature numbers there.We haven't had that hot of summer this year,plus my 625 is on top of my 50" RPTV,with our living room ceiling fan blowing on it,and we have the air conditioner on too.Good Luck!:)

Last edited:
Pugmom this information is in case you don't know.Press Menu on the remote control,number 6 System Setup,number 3 Diagnostics,select Counters,use Page up and Page down to scroll,Page down to almost the last display you will find the Hard Drive counter temperature numbers.Mine is HDD High Temp-107F,HDD Low Temp-80F,HDD Average Temp-100F, on my 625. You can keep track on your temperature numbers there.We haven't had that hot of summer this year,plus my 625 is on top of my 50" RPTV,with our living room ceiling fan blowing on it,and we have the air conditioner on too.Good Luck!:)

Thanks! I just checked, mine was 136F high, 105F low, 116F average, is that too hot? When I rebooted it with the power button it sounded like the fan was still working. The DVR is in a cabinet without too much space above it. I am thinking of dumping the VCR since it is not used much anymore so the DVR will more breathing room.

Thanks! I just checked, mine was 136F high, 105F low, 116F average, is that too hot? When I rebooted it with the power button it sounded like the fan was still working. The DVR is in a cabinet without too much space above it. I am thinking of dumping the VCR since it is not used much anymore so the DVR will more breathing room.

The high temperature reading is where you received the too hot warning.You can try it without the VCR on the bottom,then after about a week check your temperature readings.Now you know where to look you can keep an eye on it.Some DVR users put a small fan blowing on the DVR when the space around it is not very much and they received a High Temperature warning.I believe if I remember correctly that 133F temperature will trigger the warning.All the other temperature readings are OK.Good Luck!:)

P.S. I would also make sure there is plenty of space on the left side of the 625 where the vents are?.;)

Just installed Netgear V2 works great one question

Losing 129 Sat Signal, returns after going to Guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)