721 Black Line Problem - Solution!

SRW1000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Wisconsin
There was an old thread on this issue which is too old to reply to, so I'm posting my solution under this new thread.

You can read the original thread here. In summary, some of us were having a problem with our 721s, which would show a black line at the bottom of the screen. This was frustrating as all heck. Here's a screen capture of what it looked like (you won't be able to see it from the thumnail image itself):

721-Line.jpg

That brings us up to today.

My old 721 had this problem, as did my replacement. I'm currently considering getting rid of it, but I've got a bunch of programs on it that I really want to keep. The dilemma is how to save them without the distracting black line. Today was the day to figure it out.

I rebooted the machine three times. Nothing changed. I unplugged it twice. Nothing. The black line was still there. I swore at it. That wasn't going to help, but it made me feel a little better.

So I thought about it a little more. The line looked to be near the bottom of the menu screens, almost like it doesn't stop displaying it even after exiting the menu. Hmmm, I that could be it.

I went into the user preferences menu, and lowered the default position of the menu, until the black line was off the screen. Eureka! The black line is somehow related to the menu system and can be moved! I verified that it actually is gone by shrinking an moving the image with my external scaler. It's gone.

Now, to spend the next few days archiving all those shows before making a decision on what receiver to upgrade to.

I hope that someone may find this information useful in the future, although I'm sure there aren't all that many 721s still out there.

Scott

Damn! My 721 had that "black line", and all this time I thought it just had a bad line of pixels or something. I took that bugger to the dump a few months ago when it finally crapped out, black line and all, but this is interesting to know.

Thanks!