722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

The new chip, ie BCM7412 was just next release of BCM7411 as in 622, just for fix a bug with VC-1 decompression what Dish using for DoD/VOD/FVOD. There is no changes to 'improve picture quality'. :(

I Never noticed the OTA signal drop of 15-20% on the modual. I can conferm it is lower then my standard 722's .

I was able to get back most of the quality using a terk BIA-20 inline amp. I think Rat-shack shuld have them but call b4 you walk in unless you need a new cell phone with a 4 year contract.

Also the timer transfers from normal 722 is not working allso i was able to get it to pass the data to the ir 20 but DL it to the 722K was a no go.

other bugs include Archive HD transfer if you view the DVR list 2x when transfring a file the transfer will stop and will have to redo the transfer.

The good old green flash is back during chanel changes.

Well, like all the other E* DVR's they are always "on" so that they can record programs. So I don't think there would be anything to be compliant.

Got the 722k installed. Getting all the old timers from the 501 entered into this so we dont miss anything.

Looks great so far, got the TurboHD Bronze package, (had Classic 100, hoping to not miss Com Cen and MTV too much.)

Can the 501 remote be used to control the 722k with UHF? I have tried to get it to but cant seem to hit the spot, if its possible. Got this sending to 2 remote tvs and dont really want to buy another remote if I dont have to.

Can the 501 remote be used to control the 722k with UHF? I have tried to get it to but cant seem to hit the spot, if its possible. Got this sending to 2 remote tvs and dont really want to buy another remote if I dont have to.

Nope. The 501 remote is the old style UHF/IR.

You need UHF PRO for the new receivers.

Nope. The 501 remote is the old style UHF/IR.

You need UHF PRO for the new receivers.

Thanks, I did see I could get it to work as a IR remote. Think I will try using it as TV1 remote and the 722k remotes as TV2 UHF.

edit: scratch that, tv1 remote is IR only. :(

Last edited:
You mentioned those features getting rolled out to the 622 and 722's. What about the VIP 612's. Do you think they will be left out? Already feel left out because I can't partake in the Sling Guide beta.

Or it might just be we become accustom to the picture after a while and no longer see the difference, but for now the pq looks quite sharp.

You might get used to it and no longer see the difference or your TV could also be aging over time and that affects PQ. Depends on the length of time. Rear projection TV's bulbs age, LCD's age, Plasmas age. My girlfriends all start out great and the longer I know them the less attractive they become. They might age slower if they would ever shut up.

Does anyone know if the 722k is HDMI-CEC compliant?

HDMI-CEC compliance is as useful as being DLNA compliant; doesn't mean much cross-brand (yet). I think you're asking if the 722K can send Power/Volume/Other commands via HDMI a la VieraLink, AnyNet+, etc...I think the answer is no. I look forward to that day, too.

You might get used to it and no longer see the difference or your TV could also be aging over time and that affects PQ. Depends on the length of time. Rear projection TV's bulbs age, LCD's age, Plasmas age. My girlfriends all start out great and the longer I know them the less attractive they become. They might age slower if they would ever shut up.

Brand new REGZA LCD 42" Toshiba tv. Had it since January and used it with the 722 and saw compression and artifacts on FX channel during the show Nip /Tuck. Plugged in the new 722k this last week, saw no picture quality problems on this same channel during this same show. Saw a difference on ALL sd channels as well. Now I have NOT changed the pq controls at all, so I have to assume the 722k is doing a better job on the pq than the 722. Like the girlfriend analogy though.:D

Was the same show, but not at the same time. Being Dish uses the variable/shared method for bitrate, that could be the cause in fluctuation between viewings.

Having the same broadcom chip, I just dont see how the PQ would be better, but who knows. Some claim the new HR23 is better too.

I just wish there was one provider with both good HW and PQ

Not likely though :haha

Fios with a TiVo or 722 would be nice ;)

Was the same show, but not at the same time. Being Dish uses the variable/shared method for bitrate, that could be the cause in fluctuation between viewings.

Having the same broadcom chip, I just dont see how the PQ would be better, but who knows. Some claim the new HR23 is better too.

I just wish there was one provider with both good HW and PQ

Not likely though :haha

Fios with a TiVo or 722 would be nice ;)

Today I was even able to adjust the back lighting to increase the picture since the 722k was installed and to make the picture even brighter and I did not see any artifacting on any sd channel and my wife and I both said the hd and sd channels look great. But it might just be a temporary thing and we will become adjusted to this receiver . But I knew that DISH adjusted the bit rate at times ,so we will test this week again with the new setting on back lighting to see if Nip/Tuck looks as good as last week or even better, I HOPE.;)

Last edited:
???

Today I was even able to adjust the black lighting to increase the picture since the 722k was installed and to make the picture even brighter and I did not see any artifacting on any sd channel and my wife and I both said the hd and sd channels look great. But it might just be a temporary thing and we will become adjusted to this receiver . But I knew that DISH adjusted the bit rate at times ,so we will test this week again with the new setting on back lighting to see if Nip/Tuck looks as good as last week or even better, I HOPE.;)

Black Lighting what's this have to do with anything? I thought that black lighting was something installed in clubs to make things look WACKY and to have fun. :haha

Is it normal for there to be an audio stutter when doing the 30 sec forward skip? We are getting it when viewing anything, (HD, OTA). We are using an HDMI hookup, havent tried any other hookup type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts