72w/103w question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smikolaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Southern NH
Hi,

I checked "the List" and it looks like the NBC mux on 72w is still there but I just wanted to make sure since I will be moving my dish from 103w and wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I have a 30" Ku setup with an S9 receiver but I think it is too small to get the HD feeds on 103w. I played with the odd ball skew and still no luck. I get the beach cams with no issues. If anyone has luck with a similar setup on 103w and has any tips before I move the dish that would be greatly appreciated. This setup is in western, MA. I get the other networks OTA so I figured I would try this route for NBC.

Can I get away with a 1 meter dish and get the HD feeds, or is that a lost cause?

Thanks.

Hi,

I checked "the List" and it looks like the NBC mux on 72w is still there but I just wanted to make sure since I will be moving my dish from 103w and wanted to make sure I'm not wasting my time. I have a 30" Ku setup with an S9 receiver but I think it is too small to get the HD feeds on 103w. I played with the odd ball skew and still no luck. I get the beach cams with no issues. If anyone has luck with a similar setup on 103w and has any tips before I move the dish that would be greatly appreciated. This setup is in western, MA. I get the other networks OTA so I figured I would try this route for NBC.
Can I get away with a 1 meter dish and get the HD feeds, or is that a lost cause?
Thanks.
Yes, 72W NBC mux is still there but depends on the day just how active it is. I got Cozi on 103W ku with my 90cm Fortec before I switched to getting it on c band - it was reliable unless it stormed but would definitely use bigger than 30". Did not try NBC on 103W.

Last edited:
If you get some channels on 103W that means you have the dish aligned properly. I would think your dish is just too small. I get 72W with a Direct TV Slimline dish which would be approximately equal to a 30 inch dish.

Yep 30 inch is too small for NBC on 103.

Thanks! I'll swing the dish over.

I have a 6' WSI c-band dish but haven't had much luck getting anything with that - project for the spring at this point.

Years ago, I did get the NBC feeds on 103 with a 76cm dish -- with an LNB hanging off the side of one pointed at 97! Took quite a bit of time to get it aligned though -- this is NOT a job you can do without having your receiver (or a professional-grade meter, but that costs more than a receiver and monitor) out at the dish.

Yep 30 inch is too small for NBC on 103.
when I had my setup in Minneapolis I could get NBC on a 76cm dish...so it IS possible...although you need to be peaked properly and the oddball skew taken into consideration

I can get everything up there on a 1 meter dish with the exception of FSTV which is notoriously hard to get even with bigger dishes.
Everything on 103 comes in on a 1m for me and if I skew it right I can also get all the NBC/COZI stuff.

72 to 125, not a problem. Even Montana PBS on 125 and that is another miserably hard to get channel. It’s all a matter of taking the time to get it aligned right.
For me that was 4 years.. :coco

Whats FSTV? Florida State TV? If so, I might have seen that once in 3 years and IIRC, the quality barely hit 40%.

39" here (MicrpHD and p1LL LNB)... I get everything as well from 72w to 125w (incl. 30w when the leaves are down). But I need to adjust the skew a bit to hit a high of 77% for Montana PBS (otherwise its at 50s)
As for 103w... I can generally get the NBC mountain feeds... and Cozi sometimes comes in on Sundays.

Cheers, K

The Mux on 72 is watchable but it's pretty low bit rate. It's like watching video on a cell phone. Last of my choices to park for a NBC feed. I have to be pretty desperate. Invest in a motor for less than a hundred bucks and then you don't have to stay on a single satellite.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I get the NBCs on an 80cm dish, with the 103 LNB that is around 3-4 degrees off-centre (no centre LNB, split between 97 and 103). Pixelation/drop-off is around 62-63 on the AZBox and get 11760 at around 75, 11840 at around 72, and 11880 at around 66 (which is not a lot of margin, and is first to drop out). Fortunately, NBC seems to broadcast a fairly consistent signal quality strength throughout the day/night.

Years ago, I did get the NBC feeds on 103 with a 76cm dish
Think 'back then' they may have been DVB-S, 'today' they are DVB-S2
Heads Up - the 'content' on 72 is far different than 103 and the pic quality isn't that great.
I'd find a 'spot' for a larger dish to get 103. 1.0 meter or greater would be my choice.
(but maybe my response is too late)

Okay, but hows about addressing the other issue. 72 is an NBC mux, but it doesn't very often show the NBC content. Mostly MSNBC and Weather Channel. If i was gonna park a dish, 72 wouldn't be on my list.

I have a dish on 72 because of MSNBC. More important to me now since we just shut off our pay satellite service.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I get the NBCs on an 80cm dish, with the 103 LNB that is around 3-4 degrees off-centre (no centre LNB, split between 97 and 103). Pixelation/drop-off is around 62-63 on the AZBox and get 11760 at around 75, 11840 at around 72, and 11880 at around 66 (which is not a lot of margin, and is first to drop out). Fortunately, NBC seems to broadcast a fairly consistent signal quality strength throughout the day/night.

Interesting, I pick up the NBC's and COZI on 103 pretty solid now on my old 33" dish. I was really surprised, but since I realigned the dish, bought the Azbox and install a new avenger LNB, the signal on COZI is about 80%. I had considerable heavy rain one day last week and COZI / NBC had minimal to no break up that whole day. Mind you, I spent days tweaking the dish just to get it right. Even though my LNB is skewed for 103, I don't really lose much signal on the other satellites, except on weak wild KU feeds. Since I have to get on a ladder to get to the dish, I have to pick and choose what is important to me until AMC1 is replaced.

I was considering to upgrade the dish to 1.2m (as per my thread on this forum) , but realized that my 90cm is already pretty close to my eavestrough and I'm afraid a 1.2m could conflict with it. Unless the increase in size is on the more on the bottom portion of the dish than the top.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)