Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectCanuck

Original poster
Feb 11, 2016
Canada
So i have a setup that looks like this:

-SWM SL5S LNB into SWM four way splitter
-Power passing output of the splitter is connected to the power inserter and then on to receiver number 1.
-Other output is connected receiver 2.
-Other two outputs on splitter are terminated correctly.

Standard stuff, all connected the right way. This has worked flawlessly for 3 years.

Yesterday, without having changed anything in the setup, i get this 775 error.

Measured the coax at the LNB and there is 20 volts DC on the line.

Im starting to think that the LNB is toast. Can anyone else come up with any other explanation?

:welcome to Satelliteguys DirectCanuck!

cinsu could be right about the cause, but if you are getting 20 volts at the lnb, it's probably the lnb. It's a good idea to check all of the connections to be sure they are okay. If there is any sign of water intrusion, then it's time to redo the fittings and replace the damaged parts.

if there's water damage, that whole line should be replaced for good measure. but thats just me. and keep in mind, its not JUST the 21v at the PI thats required, there is a 2.3mhz signal as well, so it could also be a bad PI (but not likely)

if there's water damage, that whole line should be replaced for good measure. but thats just me. and keep in mind, its not JUST the 21v at the PI thats required, there is a 2.3mhz signal as well, so it could also be a bad PI (but not likely)

Yes, that's partly what I meant by damaged parts. A splitter or swm switch might need replacing, too.

I just had a service call because of 775's in the last two weeks. The tech checked the LNB, replaced a 4 way splitter under the house, the splitter at the TV and replaced the SWM. He said if the problem reoccurs then he will escalated the problem. It has bee better than 24 hours and everything is working. The tech suspected one of the splitters was failing when the splitter got hot.

9 out of 10 times this is a coax problem... most techs are lazy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have to strongly disagree. Bad connection, bad splitter, bad LNB, bad wall plates. I can say 9/10 times replacing the line does not fix the issue. I agree most techs are lazy, but to say it's typically the line is false.

I have to strongly disagree. Bad connection, bad splitter, bad LNB, bad wall plates. I can say 9/10 times replacing the line does not fix the issue. I agree most techs are lazy, but to say it's typically the line is false.
I 100% back your opinion, I was assuming the lnb and splitter would automatically be changed, then again I'm a manager, I live in a world of hopes and dreams. What I really meant is most techs would change those things and call it good to go then bounce creating a Sin30 then the next guy goes out stuck replacing the line.

Barring electrical issues the only way to 100% be positive the issue is corrected to the point we as techs are responsible is by rebuilding the job.

I 100% back your opinion, I was assuming the lnb and splitter would automatically be changed, then again I'm a manager, I live in a world of hopes and dreams. What I really meant is most techs would change those things and call it good to go then bounce creating a Sin30 then the next guy goes out stuck replacing the line.

Barring electrical issues the only way to 100% be positive the issue is corrected to the point we as techs are responsible is by rebuilding the job.

Problem rebuilding a job is pay. Nobody is going to spend 2+ hours rebuilding a job for $30 or so when they could spend that 2+ hours doing a 4 box making $100 or so. I'm an activist for do the job the first time the right way and don't chance it. Being a manager knowing a techs scope helps you a lot and unfortunately you see first hand what Directv demands vs what's possible

So, how do you deal with this, in that scenario ...
Your 1st tech goes out and changes the LNB and Splitter, and the trouble doesn't present itself after that while he's there ...
Then later the issue comes back, so another guy is sent out.
The problem was thought to be resolved the first time out and the tech did what it's said he should do.

What happens in that instance ?

So, how do you deal with this, in that scenario ...
Your 1st tech goes out and changes the LNB and Splitter, and the trouble doesn't present itself after that while he's there ...
Then later the issue comes back, so another guy is sent out.
The problem was thought to be resolved the first time out and the tech did what it's said he should do.

What happens in that instance ?
The tech did not do what he was supposed to do in that senario, if they need to be changing splitters and fittings they should be changing lines... period. I'm not going to get into write up policies publically however.

The tech did not do what he was supposed to do in that senario, if they need to be changing splitters and fittings they should be changing lines... period. I'm not going to get into write up policies publically however.

Why should you change lines of a fitting or a splitter is bad? That's the purpose of a 7 inch service lope, for service.

Again... I'm a manager, what I want to see and what I see are two different things, when water gets in a line, it's there. I can't count the amount of times I've seen techs change splitters and fittings then we're back because the line is water logged.

Again... I'm a manager, what I want to see and what I see are two different things, when water gets in a line, it's there. I can't count the amount of times I've seen techs change splitters and fittings then we're back because the line is water logged.

If there's water in a line it should be replaced, the connector and switch/splitter/ground block will show the the corrosion. Being a manger I understand what you want to see but common sense will tell you, if you made $30 for that job and it showed no signs of water in the line you're not going to replace the line.

I was a tech for 9 years I get it. I try to approve flat rates when warrented.. then take the heat from my hire ups. I'm not out to screw techs I just need to run my office properly. Let's just leave policy vs tendency at that and get back on topic. The point has always been do it right the first time and there won't be issues.

Reactions: Hutch1814
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)