811 is a POS...

8ohms

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 19, 2004
Florida
Lately my 811 has been nothing but a headache. It's having trouble locking on to OTA stations, the sound keep dropping out, it freeze up and have to be turned off and on to work again. How the F**k did this POS ended up on the home of consumers???? For sure DISH know that this receiver is crap like most of it's HDTV subscribers. It there any possibility of replacing it with something better?

richmert

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 25, 2004
are you leasing it? then wait 6 months to a year and get a 411 or a 962.

i think we all know its a pos. i leased the pos dec last year and had to get it replaced three or four times and pay shipping every damn time. is that fair???? i dont think so but its the only game in town unless you can get and want to pay 250 bucks for the right to rent an obsolete 942.

i think we are all waiting for the next generation reciever. hopefully it wont be such a piece of crap. i have a half a dozen dish receivers sitting in storage that i was forced to buy and it ddnt bother me at first but when i look at them i feel really used. thank god i can give the stupid 811 pos back to dish and move on without having the original outlay of 350 dollars or more. oh wait i actually was one of the guys that bought two 311s for 99 dollers. i failed to read or hear anyone tell me they were repaired units and the sobs died on me. big shot me thought i was getting such a deal and dish did me like a little beeatch.

oh well if i want voom i have to stay with dish for now so i am hoping the next round of receivers last at least a few years and they dont have to reboot every time i try to tune an OTA channel.

just my 2 cents.

i have been a dish subscriber since the beginning. they sent me a free dish for buying a gateway comupter. such a deal my mother shouldnt get. they sent me an install video tape so i installed it myself. i thougt thats what you did back then.

Danny Boy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 8, 2005
New York
Kind of off topic...

My question is why do Cable and Satellite companys supply you with buggy equipment that doesn't work as advertised? Just decided to get Digital cable through TW and the DVR that was supplied kept rebooting. I wound up switching it for a regular box.

My thing is: These companies make more than enough money off of us. Why do they insisting on buying the cheapest available hardware, and rolling out technology that isn't even consumer ready?!?

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
8ohms said:
Lately my 811 has been nothing but a headache. It's having trouble locking on to OTA stations, the sound keep dropping out, it freeze up and have to be turned off and on to work again. How the F**k did this POS ended up on the home of consumers???? For sure DISH know that this receiver is crap like most of it's HDTV subscribers. It there any possibility of replacing it with something better?
Directv works much more reliably the DISH Notwerk! Why did you expect to get something good when you pay nothing for it? :) :) :)

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Danny Boy said:
Kind of off topic...

My question is why do Cable and Satellite companys supply you with buggy equipment that doesn't work as advertised? Just decided to get Digital cable through TW and the DVR that was supplied kept rebooting. I wound up switching it for a regular box.

My thing is: These companies make more than enough money off of us. Why do they insisting on buying the cheapest available hardware, and rolling out technology that isn't even consumer ready?!?

Well...

That's an easy one. "The All-Mighty Green-Back!!!" Use the cheapest possible components to build your products, pass it off as the latest and greatest equipment that consumers can't live without... even if it's buggy, get new subr's, & stuff more profits into corporate pockets!

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
811 seems to be very sensitive to PSIP irregularities. More so than other digital receivers. It's a problem for some, not for all.

I'm lucky enough to be in an area that's fairly stable now, so I have no 811 issues. My guess is the 811 is late enough in it's life cycle that it will never be completely stable in all environments.

Your best bet is to bug your local stations' engineers, and/or wait for the 811's MPEG-4 replacement, or find another provider.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I picked one up for $25 on a lease, that was about 5 months ago. I've had none of the problems listed above. It has been better than I expected on OTA reception, reliably locking into all of my locals, although usually at around 70-75%. I've had rare instances of the "No Info Available" bug. Never a freeze, never had the sound drop.

I got one just to bide me over until Dish announces their mpeg-4 plans and receivers. So far I've been quite pleased with its performance.

8ohms

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 19, 2004
Florida
Lucky you! Ever since the last software update I have been having frequent problems. During the MLB playoff aired OTA on FOX I lost the audio every few minutes during the entire broadcast. I had to turn off the receiver and turn it back on to get the audio again. I should not be paying D* to do this. Now that everybody is talking about the 942, I will seriously give this some consideration. How much is the cost for current subscribers?

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
RandallA said:
$250.00 fee to lease a 942.

Yeah - if you're a new customer, or an existing customer who is not under a contract. I just tried to get one, but given that my contract does not expire until January I had no leverage. I was told that they are working on a lease plan for existing customers - but I suspect it won't be the same $250 agreement that new customers are getting. The person I talked to was in a position to know the details but claimed not to know any - I suppose they value their paycheck...

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
I hesitated on the $250 942 deal because I was hoping to hear about E*'s mpeg-4 plans. I was concerned about dropping $250 to lease equipment that I might want to get rid of in a few months. So I went with the low risk 811, figuring I could dump it at any time.

Who knows when Dish will actually ship a mpeg-4 DVR. And then when they will lease it to existing subs, or allow 921/942 leasors to swap boxes. Swaps could follow the introduction of such a box by 6 to 12 months.

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I look at the problems with the 811's and shudder. My 921 took a crash over the weekend, literally. I got so damn mad at it locking up I disconnected it and threw it out in the backyard. Spent Sunday picking up the dozen or so pieces. I was going to buy the 942 but in another forum here there are 4 pages of bug reports!!!!! Now I read this thread. Maybe I should stick with my 6000. The only thing I wish it had was the DVI output. And what is to say the next generation of receivers, in 6 or 12 months, will be any better. Yes they may support MPEG 4 but will they have the reliability of the 811 or 942!!!

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
NR2D said:
And what is to say the next generation of receivers, in 6 or 12 months, will be any better.

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

If past track record is any indication, none whats so ever. If it wasn't for E*'s poor higher end hardware I would still be a $120+ per month customer.

pdxsam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 11, 2004
Tigard, Oregon
NR2D said:
I was going to buy the 942 but in another forum here there are 4 pages of bug reports!!!!!

I did the same thing you are doing... didn't go for it because of the bug reports
and I've got to say .. I'm not seeing a lot of problems with the 942.

I've lost two recordings to the 07 bug.. but nothing that critical... and I record a bunch... the OTA is working great for me. I put up an outdoor antenna which really solidified the reception.

You might be short changing yourself here.

Cheers,
Sam

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
pdxsam said:
I did the same thing you are doing... didn't go for it because of the bug reports
and I've got to say .. I'm not seeing a lot of problems with the 942.

I've lost two recordings to the 07 bug.. but nothing that critical... and I record a bunch... the OTA is working great for me. I put up an outdoor antenna which really solidified the reception.

You might be short changing yourself here.

Cheers,
Sam
Sam, did you buy yours directly from Dish or from a retailer?

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
I have an OTA issue: Sometimes when I am tuning to an OTA channel, it tells me I've lost the signal, but if I channel up/down, it comes right in. Other times, I've had it reboot when changing to an OTA channel.

Other issues:

I lose sound periodically which requires either a reset or a power off/on.

Once in awhile my video will go all herky jerky like I have a weak signal, but that is not the case. Audio is normal but the signal is breaking up and jerking really bad.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
8ohms said:
Lately my 811 has been nothing but a headache. It's having trouble locking on to OTA stations, the sound keep dropping out, it freeze up and have to be turned off and on to work again.
If you're unhappy with the 811 as an ATSC receiver, check to see if your local Radio Shack has an Accurain HTS-6000 (more in this thread) They were closing them out for less than $90, but you may be able to find a few if you're willing to drive.

FWIW, my 811 is fairly stable, but then all of my ATSC stations have been on the air for many years and have the kinks worked out (mostly). I don't know what will happen when the LP stations switch over to digital operations...

murf

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 4, 2003
Answer to your question 1/2 are and 1/2 are not. I was told the numbers of receivers ra'd to diah is up to 8000 a day. :eek:

Los Angeles Installation Question

RFD-TV / Programming packages

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)