922 loud fan and black screen

I found a "solution" to the blank screen after a few minutes problem. I am on vip922 number 3. I decided not to RMA this one due to the hassles of return, transfering recorded stuff. My current vip922 will just quit. The problem seems to be overheating and lack of sufficient cooling air flow through the vip922. You need at least 2 inches on either SIDE of the vip922. If you only have about an inch, then it will overheat pretty quickly.

I had to place a clamp-on fan to blow into the left side to keep it cool. It has worked flawlessly since (over the past year). If someone unplugs the fan or turns it off, I can expect less than 30 minutes of TV time (depending on room temperaure) before my little blank screen "reminder" says that I gotta turn that fan back on.

While I type this, DirecTV is installing an HMC, and the vip922 is being removed.

i installed 5 2x2 fans to the left side with no luck, i even remove the upper case and put a fan directly to the CPU and HDD without any luck either, so, i moved to 2 hoppers/joey

My 922 just started rebooting every few minutes yesterday...Left it without power until this evening and it's doing the same thing....Hate to get into a contract again, Hoppa or dig my old 722 out....

I had the same issue. I discovered that the circuit board in my unit had TWO polarized 6.3v 1200uF capacitors with bulging, domed tops. This is typically the sign of a bad capacitor.

So, I replaced the capacitors and now my unit has been up and running PERFECTLY for over 72 hours.

I feel very confident that this is the fix for 90% of the issues. To easily check, just open up your case and look for bulging top capacitors. I think the one that causes the issue is under the hard drive near the fan connector.

I'm sure most local, competent electronics repair shops can easily replace them. Basically, it's just dis-assembly, de-soldering, replace the capacitors (observing polarity), re-soldering and reassembly.

I'd be glad to help anyone in need. If so, drop me a line and I'll help you through it.

I am also a member of this party. I went through 3 of them in 2 years with hundreds of recordings lost. I finally had it with Dish last month after 13 years. Switched to Direct and have not looked back. Wonderful equipment and great service. Just not sure when I will get the Dish channel numbers out of my head.

Opened it up just for grins, did see 2 bulging capacitors....We just don't watch much TV anymore, the only thing that has kept me from dropping is we like to take in an occasional St. Louis Cardinal game...The box arrived today to return the 922, the 722 has been up and running for over a week now, old reliable....I am now considering going to Charter, getting a 4 tuner PCI card for my server and using a Media Center Extender...Obviously some viewing choices would be lost, but I would also save ~$25-$30 a month...Have had a hard time sticking around since the demise of Absolute plan...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)