942 power reset

pychiowa

Aug 9, 2004
Each night, if I forget to power down my receiver, a 942, I will find it on standby mode the next morning. I have heard something about the receiver monitoring its internal temperature, and that may lead to powering down itself, but I have on occasion left my set on the entire day from morning to late afternoon without any power downs happening.

Does anyone know if there is a special condition overnight that would lead the 942 to power down itself?

Thanks.

pychiowa said:
Does anyone know if there is a special condition overnight that would lead the 942 to power down itself?
Yes, every night at 3:00 AM (unless you changed the default settings) the 942 checks for updates and then reboots. After the reboot it goes to standby. If you are watching TV at 3 AM, you get a prompt with an option to skip the check.

FYI - As a result of this reboot, every night, my 942 no longer provides a signal to my plasma (HDMI connector). Every day I have to (blind by memory on the remote do... menu, up three, enter, up two, left two, down one, right two, enter) which resetd the HDTV output from 1080i to 720 P, which somehow lets the 942 send out a signal again. Then, much more easily (since I can now see the guide on the screen) I reset the HDTV to 1080i and all is well. (What I do for HDTV!)

I called DISH about this debacle and was told they "have heard about this...it is a known issue." Which I guess means it will be addressed in a future software update.

For what it's worth, the failure of the 942 to put out a 1080i signal after the receiver has been turned off and then back on is a problem that started with the 2.27 software update. Prior to that update, it worked fine with my Benq PE7800 projector. I contacted Dish on August 5 and explained the problem. About a week later they asked for additional information and said an engineer might call to discuss the issue. I haven't heard from them since. The 2.29 update did not correct the problem. Dish has been aware of the problem for at least six weeks but, since it hasn't been discussed here before, it probably doesn't affect many people and is not considered a high priority issue.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts