A Bit of Advise

Status
Please reply by conversation.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I am not a FTA newbie BUT I have been out of the hobby for a while being in an APT a while. I may buy a setup as I am looking at homes. I was thinking about the AZBOX or OPENBOX, but looking for advise on what you guys think is the best box right now. I am looking for HD, 4:2:2 and likely C/Ku not sure about PVR at this time. I want a movable dish. Thanks.

Last edited:

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Thanks, I was thinking the same thing. Is there any PC card that does most of what the AZBOX does? What are the pros & cons? Thanks

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
PCI cards are not know for blindscan capability, but they are inexpensive. They also require a little bit of attention to getting them running, but they work well. I have two that I use for testing and experimentation. Personally, I'd hate to have to use a PCI for all my TV, but using one for just 4:2:2 feeds would be a fine possibility. I think you'll be happier most of the time, with an Openbox, it's an easy to use receiver, and not nearly as kludgey as the Azbox. I have both ( in fact, now two of the Openbox varieties ) , as well as a Coolsat 8000. The Azbox is the last one that I choose to view a feed, even thought it is the most competent overall receiver.
:)

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
Hmm, decisions..... I was really looking at blindscan as a must-have, so maybe that again pushes me toward either the AZ or the OPEN.

Where did you purchase from? Thanks again

brentb636

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2006
5 miles N of Saugatuck, Mi
Azbox came from Rick's Satellite and first Openbox S9 from Sadoun in Columbus. If you get the Openbox, you won't have 4:2:2 capability, but you'll have a more nimble receiver. If you find you must have 4:2:2 , then a USB based PCI card solution , like the Profs 7500 is a good choice, in addition to the Openbox S9. The Azbox is complete in itself, but can be a challenge, and I find it kludgey, if that's a word. :)

migold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2006
Pearisburg, Virginia
I purchased Azbox from Rick's and I am well satisfied with the receiver and Rick's service. I was able to replace my Pansat 9200 with the Azbox quickly and efficiently. I have no problems using the Azbox and understanding the menus. Perhaps the Openbox is easier, but since I don't have one, I can't say. I found the Azbox as easy as the Pansat to understand and use. Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts