Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
When you run a site like this it is normal to for other sites to criticize and make fun of me or this site because they are a fan another site.

Last night I recieved a total of 7 emails and PM's from users infoming me of the following thread at DBSTalk.

D* already at 5 channels per transponder on 2 transponders of 103b!!! - Page 4 - DBSTalk.Com

Seems like some guy named Spike and DCSholtis.

I have no idea who Spike is nor do I care who he is sounds like another wannabe, But I got to take exception with and challand Dan Sholtis (DCSholtis) on the following thing that Dan said I said (In fact he quoted it! With quote marks and all!)

He said that I said the following:

"Catastrophic failures on D*10 and mass layoffs because of it at D*".

I Challange Mr. Sholtis to find where I hav EVER said this. I consider his coment slander.

I never said the quote that Mr. Sholtis said. If you ever believed that DCSholtis had any credibility well I think its safe to assume that all his creditibility is shot now.

I did say that I heard DirecTV10 had some problems (I was correct) I also said that some big names were leaving the company (I was correct about that as well, i fact I hear that two more folks in management could soon be leaving)

I would have loved to have been wrong about the DirecTV 10 issues. Really I would have.

So Mr Sholtis, if I have EVER said the quote you posted, then PROVE IT. I challange you to! I know you will never find it because I never said it.

Not to toot my own horn, but my DirecTV and Dish Network information has been SPOT ON lately. While other DirecTV gurus were saying that stuff I mentioned would not happen or they had no knowledge of what I was talking about, well it happened ALL OF IT, and it happened when I said it would too.

I will be the first to admit that I am not always correcting what I post, I only post what I hear. I hate to sound like Fox News... but I report and you decide. If I hear something major (like issues with DirecTV 10) it is my duty to the industry to report it, not sit on it and pretend that it never happened. ANYONE DOING THIS IS DOING A DIS SERVICES TO THE INDUSTRY AND THEIR READERS.

Some folks do not like it because I call a spade a spade, and the fact that I don't holdback information which may offend some of my contacts at any satellite company. I just call it as I see it. I am as open an honest about stuff as I can be, with the hopes that the information I provide helps you to make better informed decissions on where and how to spend your money.

Just keeping it REAL, that's what SatelliteGuys is all about.

I saw some people defending you over there. Only two attackers. Most of us think you have been very even handed in your coverage of the two services. Just keep up the good work. I like both sites.

There was mention of the failure of some D10 spotbeam capacity, but the term "catastrophic" was not used.

I think there may be some validity to the number of channels per transponder argument as the bandwidth of each transponder was not established in the post. My recollection is that the Ka transponders may be much wider than the Ku transponders.

I know one thing thats consistent, Spike is a **ck.

To add more, Scott I wouldn't even sweat those guys. They go out of there way to bash you when they can. I feel its an inferiority complex and its not worth bothering with.

I think the comaparison of D* having 5 HD channels per transponder (ka band) and E* having 6 HD channels per transponder (ku band) is invalid. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

I think the comaparison of D* having 5 HD channels per transponder (ka band) and E* having 6 HD channels per transponder (ku band) is invalid. This is like comparing apples to oranges.

Huh? Why is that? There has been proof posted about the technical details of the transponders on D10. It is NOT setup the way it was speculated to been. The mux bitrate on Dish is ~3Meg more (41Meg vs 38Meg) than the Directv mux, but they are cramming one more channel into it. So I would expect on average the channel bitrates to be higher on Directv. Obviously the providers are also taking into account not all of those channels might be showing HD content at the same time, thus improving the PQ of the HD channels (statmuxing).

However channels such as TBS and TNT that stretch EVERYTHING totally screw any savings, because there are no black pillars on the side of the 4x3 content. Another reason to complain to Turner about stretch-o-vision!

not that this is the thread for this, but it is what is being discussed. When we are comparing the 38 mbr on d* to the 41 mbr on E* are they both variable bit rate MPEG 4? What is considered to be the max bitrate needed for no compression for mpeg 4? What other factors go into the comparison? It just seems we keep getting pits and pieces of data comparing the two, but I have yet to see a big picture comparison which includes most of the major comparison points. I have seen with my own eyes the new D* HD channels and they rival some of my blu-rays for clarity.

Huh? Why is that? There has been proof posted about the technical details of the transponders on D10. It is NOT setup the way it was speculated to been. The mux bitrate on Dish is ~3Meg more (41Meg vs 38Meg) than the Directv mux, but they are cramming one more channel into it. So I would expect on average the channel bitrates to be higher on Directv. Obviously the providers are also taking into account not all of those channels might be showing HD content at the same time, thus improving the PQ of the HD channels (statmuxing).

However channels such as TBS and TNT that stretch EVERYTHING totally screw any savings, because there are no black pillars on the side of the 4x3 content. Another reason to complain to Turner about stretch-o-vision!
The amount of error correction needed is different. The bits are being used for different purposes So a 1 on 1 comparison really cant be done (based on bit rate)

Last edited:
FYI, I made several comments on DBS Talk.com concerning the subject matter of this thread. As far as I can see, all reference to any comments and any responses have been completely removed from the thread it was in. It's pretty sad that the moderators at that site do that kinda stuff and don't even have the courtesy to notify you of the deletion. They ought to be ashamed of themselves. I guess they don't believe in the first amendment.

I figured that must have happened, I went to see what Scott was so upset about and found nothing.

I just posted another comment to the thread asking if it is a common practice to delete postings on their forum and not give a reason for the deletion. My post was immediately deleted by Tom Robertson (I'm assuming he did because he is the super-moderator currently in that thread). I guess courtesy isn't a word they understand at DBS talk.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Channel Lineup with Sat and Transponder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts