A Few Post OTA Antenna Upgrade Questions (Lower Signal Stregth, Missing Channel, etc)

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
Voom upgraded my OTA antenna last week. Overall I am extremely happy with my Voom service now. I went from not having any local network coverage to 17 local channels found when I scan OTA signals now! They upgraded me from the Sensar II to a ChannelMaster 4228 amplified 8-bay antenna, at no cost to me. I do have a few questions though which I hope you can all help me with:

First, even though I now do get signal from my local Philadelphia networks, the OTA signal strength is very low across the whole board. For example, with the Sensar II I was only able to receive one local Independent Channel (WFMZ 69). However, the signal strength for this channel was almost always 99. Now, with the CM 4228, I still get the same channel but it peaks at only 81. This channel broadcasts from only 4.2 miles away from my house according to AntennaWeb. Now of course I would trade loosing some signal quality on a local Independent station for coverage of my local networks every time. But I am wondering if this lower signal quality on a close station when going from a Sensar II (which apparently wasn't even installed properly), to a large amplified antenna sounds correct?

Secondly, the fact that I only get ABC channel 6 very sporadically, even thought I do get CBS 3 and NBC 10 all the time seems strange to me. According to everything I've seen online, the antenna installer, and Voom these stations all broadcast from the exact same location. Also, if I check right now:
  • Channel 3 - signal strength 61 (reception is perfect)
  • Channel 6 - signal strength 69 (black screen; "no signal"; sporadic picture with heavy pixelation)
  • Channel 10 - signal strength 81 (reception is perfect)
I would think that since channel 6 has a higher signal level than 3, which comes in perfect, I should also have a picture on it as well. I know I have heard of some channels only broadcasting at certain times, but the fact that I can even now sometimes get a picture, albeit a very sporadic and pixelated one, seems to go against that possibility. I'm far from being an OTA expert though, could something else account for this?

Thirdly, There are some channels which have very high signal strengths compared to the channels I do get, however they always show the "no signal" message. I have verified they are both broadcasting digital signals, not analog, and I am also almost certain that they both are found during the local channel scan. Examples:
  • Channel 57 (WPSG) - signal strength 70 ("no signal")
  • Channel 62 (WWSI) - signal strength 97 ("no signal")
Finally, the rest of my possible local channels all register with signal levels which seem to be just under the reception level. Considering that this seems to be the largest antenna CM makes, and the installer also installed an amplifier with it, is there any chance of getting any more reception out of it so that I could get these locals as well?
  • Channel 12 (WHYY) - signal strength 33
  • Channel 23 (WHJS) - signal strength 55
  • Channel 44 (WMCN) - signal strength 36
  • Channel 51 (WNJT) - signal strength 56
Like I said, I am far from being an OTA antenna pro, and I will honestly be very content with the OTA coverage I have right now. In fact, with all of the sub-channels, I actually get more OTA local coverage now than I did with my local cable company. But, if there is a chance that something may be wrong, or there is an easy tweak I can do with the new equipment they just installed in order to get some more of these channels, the more the merrier :). Thanks in advance for your help.

rolesdeiroi

Sep 29, 2004
OTA antenna

I recently had a problem with the sensar II, voom does not provide a power supply. I did not want to wait for any to come out to my house again. So, I went to radio shack and purchased the 15-2160 outdoor UHF antenna. I went from getting only 2 stations to 20+ stations. I live 35 miles from my stations in California and this antenna has outperformed itself. All my stations come in @ no lower that 85 signal strength ALL THE TIME. With a price tag of $23.99 I didn't see a big loss, it's easy to setup and install and worth every penny. I also have huge trees blocking the view, but they do not affect the reception one bit.

Check it out---->
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_003_001_002_000&product_id=15-2160

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)